The Student Room Group

Would you let your child have an iphone?

I think that it is wrong for children to own an iphone.
Unless they're 18 and over an iphone should not be in their personal possession.
It all boils down to lazy and rich parenting

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Blue_Mason
I think that it is wrong for children to own an iphone.
Unless they're 18 and over an iphone should not be in their personal possession.
It all boils down to lazy and rich parenting

My kids are having a brick nokia like I did when I was younger, besides what do they need a fancy phone for?
No, it's ****
Reply 3
Yes, it can make out to be a target for thieves.
It is not a suitable phone for children.
They can be tracked and hacked, and used for the wrong purposes.
Reply 4
No! If I ever have kids I will avoid getting them a phone for as long as I can. I'm against kids having phones, much less an iPhone or something of the lot... I think I will be considered a bad parent because I will not allow my children to own or play with digital stuff (phones, tablets, etc) until I think they are old enough to know how to properly use those things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoanaRCK
No! If I ever have kids I will avoid getting them a phone for as long as I can. I'm against kids having phones, much less an iPhone or something of the lot... I think I will be considered a bad parent because I will not allow my children to own or play with digital stuff (phones, tablets, etc) until I think they are old enough to know how to properly use those things.

Not long ago I saw a little girl (she was 6/7) with an Iphone and it just... made me sad.
No. As someone mentioned, they're a target for thieves. They don't need a phone of any sort until they start secondary school at least.
iPhones have simple interfaces, a feature that the younger generation will / currently do appreciate a lot. So yes, I would allow my child to have one (at 11/12 though, since they'll most likely be travelling to school on their own).
No. Android4Life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not getting my kids a phone till they are 16, paha.
Original post by JoanaRCK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds reasonable, but what sort of age are you thinking about?

Because some sort of phone (not necessarily a smartphone, though they are easier to use) is pretty important for their independence. The only reason I got my first phone was because I liked to go out walking a lot, and that was when I was 2 or 3 years into secondary school.
Original post by RFowler
Sounds reasonable, but what sort of age are you thinking about?

Because some sort of phone (not necessarily a smartphone, though they are easier to use) is pretty important for their independence. The only reason I got my first phone was because I liked to go out walking a lot, and that was when I was 2 or 3 years into secondary school.

I'm thinking maybe getting them a phone just to call if necessary at around age 10 or 11, the most basic phone, like the brick I used to have at that age...:tongue: And then depending on their level of maturity as they get older I will decide when they can get some modern gadgets... And in that period of time I will teach them how to be safe online, to not borrow their phone if someone they dont know asks them to make a phone call, etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
i am inclined to agree my 16 year old brother want a 4s which is ok as there not expensive and i have a 3gs and it does what i need for a phone
whilst my mothers friend has given her 14 year old daughter a iphone6+ for christmas but she's paying for it for the next four years so it's not really a christmas present which is why i hate the more modern iphones as they overhyped and over priced
or as lester crest put it 'by selling us little bits of plastic, restricted access ****?'
(edited 8 years ago)
I would not let my children have anything but an iPhone.
My child can have a phone once they hit secondary school. If they're good & well behaved, I don't see any problem in letting him/her have an iPhone if that's what they want
I'd be very strict about this. I wouldn't buy my child expensive gadgets until they are around 16-18. I dont want them to rely on technology too much. I want them to communicate properly and build upon social skills (eg face to face interaction).
I would not buy my children an iPhone until they're at least 18; I would buy them a decent smartphone (when they're around 14/15 - 17), but nothing too expensive or extravagant like an iPhone or Samsung Galaxies. I don't understand why parents do, my parents never did and I agree with their stance. I don't believe in spoiling children with such expensive gadgets, unless it's a games console.
No, there is absolutely no need for a CHILD to have an iPhone, they wouldn't even use half of its features. Hell, most adults who have iPhones don't use most of it, they just spend the extortionate price cause it's the cool thing to do. I wouldn't even buy MYSELF an iPhone let alone a child. It's just pointless. It's so funny because 6-7 years ago I was dying for an iPhone but if someone gave me one for free now, I would sell it and keep the money instead. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
This is DEEPLY hypocritical of me, as I had a phone when I was...9

(I had a Nokia 8310 when it was first released )
Any way... No, no I would not
(edited 8 years ago)
No. I'd buy them a fair value phone which is suitable for them. IPhone's are just a fashion statement.

Quick Reply

Latest