The Student Room Group

3rd Year Living

Hello all, I am currently a second year living with 6 other people but for various reasons (dropping out, placements) I won't have anybody to live with in third year! Did anyone have a similar problem and what did you do? should i get a random houseshare or go into private halls (which i lived in first year). thanks
Original post by SwitchingOne
Hello all, I am currently a second year living with 6 other people but for various reasons (dropping out, placements) I won't have anybody to live with in third year! Did anyone have a similar problem and what did you do? should i get a random houseshare or go into private halls (which i lived in first year). thanks

Hi there,

I'd personally suggest going into private halls again - gambling with house sharers in your third year can have horrible effects on your ability to focus at university.

Lots of my classmates decided to take the gamble in their third year (being the cheaper option) as it so happened their friends went on their industry placements, deferred a year and in one case - they decided to downsize and left him out!

Just one of my friends out of four enjoyed their house - they were like-minded people and didn't cross each-other as they were all in their final year.

However, the opposite happened for the other three - the people they lived with had a reason why no one wanted to carry on living with them. They were messy, rude, loud, inconsiderate and mostly generally didn't care about revision periods/exam term.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Kath :h:.
(edited 8 years ago)

I may be in the same situation this year coming as all the people I live with are a year ahead of me (though 2 have applied for a masters but they may not be here and take a placement).

All I know for certain is I'm never going in halls again, far too loud and don't want to be living with party animal first years. So I'll either take a chance with a random house share (try to get to know them a bit before signing) or I'll try to find someone on my course to live with.
I'm in this situation, friends re-sitting the year or not having industry year in my house, so means I'll be the only one of my house at uni in third year. Worried because my housemates are chilled so i dont really go out, and dont really have many friends apart from them. Im pretty unhappy with my course at the moment though, falling behind with work, so could end up anywhere to be honest. Hope things work ouy for you, if i do stay third year I'd go into newest uni housing, maybe an option for you?
Original post by SophieSmall
I may be in the same situation this year coming as all the people I live with are a year ahead of me (though 2 have applied for a masters but they may not be here and take a placement).

All I know for certain is I'm never going in halls again, far too loud and don't want to be living with party animal first years. So I'll either take a chance with a random house share (try to get to know them a bit before signing) or I'll try to find someone on my course to live with.

Hi Sophie,

Have you enquired to your university about them having what we call 'matured halls'. Normally, a university has a separate halls a little further away from first year halls where it is generally populated with master/professional students.

I didn't even think about universities not having separate halls for different years. Yeah, having to live in a flat with first years definitely isn't ideal for your third year - strongly advise against that!

Original post by thatguy170296
I'm in this situation, friends re-sitting the year or not having industry year in my house, so means I'll be the only one of my house at uni in third year. Worried because my housemates are chilled so i dont really go out, and dont really have many friends apart from them. Im pretty unhappy with my course at the moment though, falling behind with work, so could end up anywhere to be honest. Hope things work ouy for you, if i do stay third year I'd go into newest uni housing, maybe an option for you?

Hi mate, I'm very similar to you with regards to course as well. I'm not 100% sure if I'll be in the same place next year. I think I'm gonna have to go for private halls, my ideal option would be a studio flat however I can't afford it :frown:. Hope things work out for you mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Southampton Solent Uni Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I'd personally suggest going into private halls again - gambling with house sharers in your third year can have horrible effects on your ability to focus at university.

Lots of my classmates decided to take the gamble in their third year (being the cheaper option) as it so happened their friends went on their industry placements, deferred a year and in one case - they decided to downsize and left him out!

Just one of my friends out of four enjoyed their house - they were like-minded people and didn't cross each-other as they were all in their final year.

However, the opposite happened for the other three - the people they lived with had a reason why no one wanted to carry on living with them. They were messy, rude, loud, inconsiderate and mostly generally didn't care about revision periods/exam term.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Hello Kath, thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to have to go with your advice and go for private halls. I agree with what you say about the houses, that's my reason for not wanting to go into a house with random other people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Sophie,

Have you enquired to your university about them having what we call 'matured halls'. Normally, a university has a separate halls a little further away from first year halls where it is generally populated with master/professional students.

I didn't even think about universities not having separate halls for different years. Yeah, having to live in a flat with first years definitely isn't ideal for your third year - strongly advise against that!

The mature student buildings are all over £100 a week, which is a complete rip off in this area to be honest. Plus mature students can be just as loud. And halls are built with such crappy quality that you can hear someone coughing 3 flats away the walls are that thin. I strongly disliked halls and will never live in them again.
Hello Kath, thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to have to go with your advice and go for private halls. I agree with what you say about the houses, that's my reason for not wanting to go into a house with random other people!

Posted from TSR Mobile

But surely that's exactly the same as going into halls? They're random people and you don't know them...just a different building?
But surely that's exactly the same as going into halls? They're random people and you don't know them...just a different building?

They are random people. However you can request to go into halls with just 3rd year students who you would imagine would be more tame than first or second years.

Likewise a shared house you also need to worry about the payer of bills and the state of the house (In halls you have a cleaner to do communal rooms, you don't have to worry about security as you would in a shared house as all of your personal possessions can be locked away in your room), some people you live with may not pay and leave it to the account holder or even just leave after the year and not allow you to get your deposit back if the house isn't as clean as agreed.

Personally shared house walls can be rather thin, whilst halls walls are intended to be thick as they are your own personal space.

I'm not saying don't go into shared housing - I just personally see more benefits of staying in halls in your third year with less things to potentially worry about.

Thanks,
Kath.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi mate, I'm very similar to you with regards to course as well. I'm not 100% sure if I'll be in the same place next year. I think I'm gonna have to go for private halls, my ideal option would be a studio flat however I can't afford it :frown:. Hope things work out for you mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, hope things work out for you aswell mate :smile:.
They are random people. However you can request to go into halls with just 3rd year students who you would imagine would be more tame than first or second years.

Likewise a shared house you also need to worry about the payer of bills and the state of the house (In halls you have a cleaner to do communal rooms, you don't have to worry about security as you would in a shared house as all of your personal possessions can be locked away in your room), some people you live with may not pay and leave it to the account holder or even just leave after the year and not allow you to get your deposit back if the house isn't as clean as agreed.

Personally shared house walls can be rather thin, whilst halls walls are intended to be thick as they are your own personal space.

I'm not saying don't go into shared housing - I just personally see more benefits of staying in halls in your third year with less things to potentially worry about.

Thanks,
Kath.

You'd be hard pressed to find a shared house with first years in it, so by going with shared housing you're already filtering out having to live with first years.

The vast majority of shared houses in my area come with bills included in the tenancy agreement, though granted most are joint contract so you do have to put trust in others to pay their rent.

Most shared houses also have a lock on each bedroom room door so you still have security from other housemates. Also I'm not sure what accommodations you have been living in, but none of our student accommodations provide cleaners. You're expected to clean up after yourself. Also I've found uni accommodations much more likely to money grab your deposit.

Not sure why you think shared houses have thin walls. They're just normally constructed houses like the one you, I and most other people live in back home before university. Whereas student houses are made as quickly and as cheaply as possible to fit in as many people as possible.

The only valid downfall I agree with about shared housing is the potential tenancy risks, however some landlords do provide separate tenancy agreements rather than joint contracts so that can be avoided.

yep, definitely won't be going into uni accommodation ever again, not to mention shared housing is over 1k cheaper or more depending on area.
(edited 8 years ago)
You'd be hard pressed to find a shared house with first years in it, so by going with shared housing you're already filtering out having to live with first years.

The vast majority of shared houses in my area come with bills included in the tenancy agreement, though granted most are joint contract so you do have to put trust in others to pay their rent.

Most shared houses also have a lock on each bedroom room door so you still have security from other housemates. Also I'm not sure what accommodations you have been living in, but none of our student accommodations provide cleaners. You're expected to clean up after yourself. Also I've found uni accommodations much more likely to money grab your deposit.

Not sure why you think shared houses have thin walls. They're just normally constructed houses like the one you, I and most other people live in back home before university. Whereas student houses are made as quickly and as cheaply as possible to fit in as many people as possible.

The only valid downfall I agree with about shared housing is the potential tenancy risks, however some landlords do provide separate tenancy agreements rather than joint contracts so that can be avoided.

yep, definitely won't be going into uni accommodation ever again, not to mention shared housing is over 1k cheaper or more depending on area.

Hi Sophie,
Some first years do not apply for accommodation in time and therefore have to go in to private housing.That's just my opinion on shared housing from my experience. Some people do like halls and some people have bad experiences :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest