The Student Room Group

Would you let your child have an iphone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
No, there is absolutely no need for a CHILD to have an iPhone, they wouldn't even use half of its features. Hell, most adults who have iPhones don't use most of it, they just spend the extortionate price cause it's the cool thing to do. I wouldn't even buy MYSELF an iPhone let alone a child. It's just pointless. It's so funny because 6-7 years ago I was dying for an iPhone but if someone gave me one for free now, I would sell it and keep the money instead. :smile:

Agreed, and this also being said, I find that some of my younger relatives have better devices than myself.... but kids being kids, they always have to "one up" the others...
Original post by samina_ay
not getting my kids a phone till they are 16, paha.

My kids will have a phone

Spoiler

No, because iPhones suck #AndroidMasterRace
Yes, obviously. Or some Android alternative, I don't care.

You're not going to get your 17 year old a smart phone?

If you think they'll lose it, or that it will be stolen, get it insured. I've lost my iphone before and had a replacement within a week on insurance.

To be fair by that time today's iphones will be pretty primitive technology. (inb4 they're primitive technology now.)
Original post by toonervoustotalk
My kids will have a phone

Spoiler

Good thinking, they'll hate us for it though.
Original post by JoanaRCK
I think I will be considered a bad parent because I will not allow my children to own or play with digital stuff (phones, tablets, etc) until I think they are old enough to know how to properly use those things.

The reason why this generation, and maybe the last one (90s) at a push, is so great with technology is that everyone starts using it at 4 years old. That's only going to become a more and more important skill as time goes on.

In theory I'd rather my (theoretical) children weren't constantly attached to the internet, but there's a point at which you just can't fight society.
Good thinking, they'll hate us for it though.

:lol: but if God forbid a gang attack and the child had the latest phone he/she may get beat up and the phone stolen while if they had that phone they would just be like **** stealing this pesons phone :lol:
I saw 3 kids (aged around 3, 5 and 8) who had an Ipad each while the dad complained about not having enough money when I went to the barbers a while ago.
:lol: but if God forbid a gang attack and the child had the latest phone he/she may get beat up and the phone stolen while if they had that phone they would just be like **** stealing this pesons phone :lol:

Haha true true, i find it quite funny when i see 14 year old's with the latest phones.
Original post by Blue_Mason
I think that it is wrong for children to own an iphone.
Unless they're 18 and over an iphone should not be in their personal possession.
It all boils down to lazy and rich parenting

Well, I'm a vegan, and personally, lol, I wouldn't risk it either. However, the socio-economic benefits of introducing your child to this technology can have wonderful impacts on both your lives.
I don't see why not, if I can then I would. The thing is, it's not gadgets and technology that spoils children, it's parenting. If you teach your children how blessed they are to have what others can't, how much they should appreciate their lives, count their blessings, how to be charitable good human beings etc... then it's unlikely your children are going to be spoilt brats.

Technology is only getting better and better, buy the time I have children it will become even more normal for young children to have good phones. I don't believe 'depriving' your children of what everyone else will (and already do) consider quite normal is teaching them any sort of lesson.

I got a I phone 4s for my 16th birthday (but I kept it in a box untill I started 6thform :tongue:) and I'm so happy my parents did get me it, before that I was using my uncles crappy phone, then a another one before that, and a black berry before that and they all kept breaking....no matter how much people bash iPhones, mine is still going strong! I have dropped it on countless occasions, used it in the rain, dropped it in the bath, dropped it in the sink whilst doing the dishes. It's a very good phone!
Reply 31
Depends how prone they are to breaking or losing things. I don't see why it is wrong to let them have one, smartphones are a useful thing for them to have. They are a good source of entertainment and information, and I don't see why they should be deprived of that just because of some arbitrary notion that it isn't how kids are supposed to act. They will be relying on them most of their lives anyway, may as well educate them on it early.
Haha true true, i find it quite funny when i see 14 year old's with the latest phones.

Same
Same

I'm 19 and I won't ask my parents for the latest phone :laugh::laugh: (buy my own crap)

Their parents must be soft. LOL.
I'm 19 and I won't ask my parents for the latest phone :laugh::laugh: (buy my own crap)

Their parents must be soft. LOL.

True lol
I asked for a good phone that was a year old for my 18th and got it :ahee: previously i was usuing slow phones that couldnt even text correctly lol
True lol
I asked for a good phone that was a year old for my 18th and got it :ahee: previously i was usuing slow phones that couldnt even text correctly lol

Aww thats decent though! my phone needs updating badly - but stuck on what to get LOOL
Oh god no defo not. I'd give them an Iphone when they're like 17/18. I find it sad seeing 5 year olds with phones nowadays because they don't have a proper childhood.

That awkward moment when a 6 year old has a better phone than you
Aww thats decent though! my phone needs updating badly - but stuck on what to get LOOL

Haha but just dont go for an iphone or a nokia lumia and you are fine :smile:
Original post by Blue_Mason
I think that it is wrong for children to own an iphone.
Unless they're 18 and over an iphone should not be in their personal possession.
It all boils down to lazy and rich parenting

I thought you meant like full on young children not literally under 18's :') In which case yes I think it is fine for them to have one although obviously not ridiculously young.
I'm 17 and personally haven't had one but that's just because I'm an android user and I'm assuming you're against smart phones in general rather than having an iPhone vendetta :smile:
Haha but just dont go for an iphone or a nokia lumia and you are fine :smile:

was thinking of getting a samsung :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest