The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University of Exeter as an international student?

Hey

I'm an international student, currently trying to decide on which universities to apply to. One of these universities being Exeter, obviously.

The university seems great, and apparently the campus is really nice. Also it's supposedly one of the best universities for international students, which sounds promising! As well that Exeter has really improved in recent years and is now considered top 10-15 in the UK in general?

My question is regarding the stereotype that seem to be prominent whenever I look at Exeter, and that is that many students are considered posh or arrogant? From what I've read (i.e. from thestudentroom and general reviews) is that Exeter attracts a lot of wealthy white kids who are usually oxbridge rejects (not saying that oxbridge rejects are posh or can't be friendly)?

The idea that the majority of the people at Exeter are so-called "rahs" and posh is really putting me off Exeter, even though it seems like a great university, with a thriving international student body.

I realize that there are other posts similar to this one, but those are seemingly not from an international student's perspective.

Any replies would be appreciated!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by cazzem
Anyone?

Exeter has about 30% posh private school students less than places like Oxbridge and Bristol. However they also have many less well off individuals. Reality is you will not have a problem. If you do move onto a different friendship group. The only places you might come across it is sports clubs and Holland Hall but it is quite unlikely you will find a problem.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Exeter has about 30% posh private school students less than places like Oxbridge and Bristol. However they also have many less well off individuals. Reality is you will not have a problem. If you do move onto a different friendship group. The only places you might come across it is sports clubs and Holland Hall but it is quite unlikely you will find a problem.

That's good to hear!
How is the city of Exeter? Is there something to do? It seems rather small, and I'm afraid I'll get bored there quickly, coming from a city with a population of over 5 million people.
Original post by cazzem
That's good to hear!
How is the city of Exeter? Is there something to do? It seems rather small, and I'm afraid I'll get bored there quickly, coming from a city with a population of over 5 million people.

It is small but the only British city of similar size to your is London. Birmingham is the only other one over a million. It is a beautiful campus very green with some of the best sports facilities around. Exeter is the regional centre for anything west of Bristol. It is a tourist mecca due to having a fabulous cathedral and being an ancient settlement. The sea is only a few miles away and the city has all the major stores such as John Lewis, House of Fraser and Debenhams Department store. It is in Devon and near Cornwall which are renowned tourist areas. If you want a big city you will need to go to London, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester or Glasgow. If want something different and more stunning Exeter will be great.
Hey! I'm also an international student who has an offer to study in 2016!! It's my first choice university so I visited the campus with my family. The campus is absolutely gorgeous and the people there seem to be very friendly. But I noticed a lot of the international students stick together? Don't know if that's a concern of yours, but it's something I noticed.

If you don't mind me asking, what did/will you apply for and where are you from?
Reply 6
Original post by iallhalocin
Hey! I'm also an international student who has an offer to study in 2016!! It's my first choice university so I visited the campus with my family. The campus is absolutely gorgeous and the people there seem to be very friendly. But I noticed a lot of the international students stick together? Don't know if that's a concern of yours, but it's something I noticed.

If you don't mind me asking, what did/will you apply for and where are you from?

Congrats on your offer!

Anyways, I applied for sociology last week, and I'm from Denmark. Unfortunately, I can't go visit myself.

What about yourself? And also did you get a chance to see the city of Exeter, if so, how was it?
Original post by cazzem
Congrats on your offer!

Anyways, I applied for sociology last week, and I'm from Denmark. Unfortunately, I can't go visit myself.

What about yourself? And also did you get a chance to see the city of Exeter, if so, how was it?

Yeah! Spent a few days in the city. Seems like a great place - it's not like London, it's quite small and quiet, so it's definitely what I'm looking for! Has all the "essential" businesses like Debenhams, John Lewis, etc. so it's lovely. :smile: (P.S. feel free to ask me any specific questions about Exeter!)
Original post by cazzem
Congrats on your offer!

I applied for Management with Marketing btw!
Reply 9
Yeah! Spent a few days in the city. Seems like a great place - it's not like London, it's quite small and quiet, so it's definitely what I'm looking for! Has all the "essential" businesses like Debenhams, John Lewis, etc. so it's lovely. :smile: (P.S. feel free to ask me any specific questions about Exeter!)

How was the overall feel of the university itself? Was is it as "posh" as some people make it out to be?

And I'm also a little bit concerned with the international students sticking together, ideally it would be nice to have a good mix of friends. But maybe that's just cause you were only there for a day?
Original post by cazzem
How was the overall feel of the university itself? Was is it as "posh" as some people make it out to be?

And I'm also a little bit concerned with the international students sticking together, ideally it would be nice to have a good mix of friends. But maybe that's just cause you were only there for a day?

I personally love the feel of the university - it seems very and safe and lively! I really like the architecture of the university - everything is extremely aesthetically pleasing, so it feels good to be there. The school has a lot of gardens, so it is absolutely gorgeous.

I don't know what is considered to be "posh", but it's obviously not like Cambridge? People there seem normal?

As for the sticking together, I mainly noticed this amongst Asian students. I think it's probably because they may come from the same background, hence they feel most comfortable around each other? But I don't think it'll be issue for the both of us!! We choose who to be friends with, and maybe the sticking together is a decision they made.
Reply 11
I personally love the feel of the university - it seems very and safe and lively! I really like the architecture of the university - everything is extremely aesthetically pleasing, so it feels good to be there. The school has a lot of gardens, so it is absolutely gorgeous.

I don't know what is considered to be "posh", but it's obviously not like Cambridge? People there seem normal?

As for the sticking together, I mainly noticed this amongst Asian students. I think it's probably because they may come from the same background, hence they feel most comfortable around each other? But I don't think it'll be issue for the both of us!! We choose who to be friends with, and maybe the sticking together is a decision they made.

It's great to hear that the campus is beautiful, after all we have to spend three years there, so rather it be pleasing to look at than dreading the surroundings!

But yeah, I understand how it might mostly be Asians who stick together, it's the same in my current school.

Did you have a chance to look at the accommodation when you were there? And also, is the city itself expensive? I've read several places that it's rather expensive compared to a lot of other places in England (of course not London).

Also sorry for the bombardment of questions, it's just nice to hear from an international student's perspective :wink:
Original post by cazzem
It's great to hear that the campus is beautiful, after all we have to spend three years there, so rather it be pleasing to look at than dreading the surroundings!

But yeah, I understand how it might mostly be Asians who stick together, it's the same in my current school.

Did you have a chance to look at the accommodation when you were there? And also, is the city itself expensive? I've read several places that it's rather expensive compared to a lot of other places in England (of course not London).

Also sorry for the bombardment of questions, it's just nice to hear from an international student's perspective :wink:

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the accommodation but I don't think the city itself is very expensive in comparison to big cities. But I guess we should keep in mind that we'll probably share accommodation after the first year, so it won't be very expensive.

And don't worry about asking me questions! As a matter of fact, if you don't mind, may I ask what examination are you taking? And why did you choose Exeter? :smile:
Reply 15

Thanks! I appreciate the help :smile:
Reply 16
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the accommodation but I don't think the city itself is very expensive in comparison to big cities. But I guess we should keep in mind that we'll probably share accommodation after the first year, so it won't be very expensive.

And don't worry about asking me questions! As a matter of fact, if you don't mind, may I ask what examination are you taking? And why did you choose Exeter? :smile:

I'm taking the IB :smile:

And I decided on Exeter because it seems like an excellent university with great facilities, and a real "up and coming" university. Additionally, Exeter ranks very high for my subject, which is sociology, where there's a cultural focus which I'm very much interested in. In general, it just seems as if I'd be happy there without having visited or anything!

What about you? Why Exeter?
Original post by cazzem
I'm taking the IB :smile:

And I decided on Exeter because it seems like an excellent university with great facilities, and a real "up and coming" university. Additionally, Exeter ranks very high for my subject, which is sociology, where there's a cultural focus which I'm very much interested in. In general, it just seems as if I'd be happy there without having visited or anything!

What about you? Why Exeter?

Ooo! I'm doing the IB too! What subjects do you take?

My reasons are the same! Exeter seems like a lovely place to study at - love the campus, the city, topics, and the different clubs and societies available.

Why do you want to study in the UK?
Reply 18
Ooo! I'm doing the IB too! What subjects do you take?

My reasons are the same! Exeter seems like a lovely place to study at - love the campus, the city, topics, and the different clubs and societies available.

Why do you want to study in the UK?

HL: English Lang & Lit, Psychology and History
SL: Danish, Math Studies and Environmental Science

As you can see I really dislike the maths and sciences! :P What about you?

I originally wanted to study in the US, but the expenses are too high there. Furthermore, I've attended international schools throughout my schooling and I would like to continue at a university where the language used is English!

Why the UK for you?
Original post by cazzem
HL: English Lang & Lit, Psychology and History
SL: Danish, Math Studies and Environmental Science

As you can see I really dislike the maths and sciences! :P What about you?

I originally wanted to study in the US, but the expenses are too high there. Furthermore, I've attended international schools throughout my schooling and I would like to continue at a university where the language used is English!

Why the UK for you?

Pretty much the same! I've been to international schools my whole life so I want to continue my education where English is the language used. I also feel most comfortable in UK in terms of culture - don't really fit in in Hong Kong since English is my first language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending