The Student Room Group

Not enough is done for disabled students.

Ridiculous.

And no I don't have a question.

Scroll to see replies

Care to elaborate?
No just annoyed.

In US they get 50% extra tiem for ADHD.

I have multiple disabilites and only get 25%.

Such a disgrace.

Also, I shouldn't have to pay £200 for laptop, should be provided free. And also it has low specs omg.
People always say they want to be treated equally than this happens. I mean i know they do need extra help sometimes but still..
I agree. There's not enough understanding of individual needs. I want to train as a teacher but my health will only allow for doing it part time. There is much less funding available for part time so I have to keep putting it off.

My point being that there are so many different variables as to what a disabled student might need help with and not enough options in place to facilitate that.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I agree. There's not enough understanding of individual needs. I want to train as a teacher but my health will only allow for doing it part time. There is much less funding available for part time so I have to keep putting it off.

My point being that there are so many different variables as to what a disabled student might need help with and not enough options in place to facilitate that.

Yes good post, I agree with you.
But if you weren't disabled, you'd have to pay for a laptop.
Original post by OU Student
But if you weren't disabled, you'd have to pay for a laptop.

you still habve to pay £200 towards it?
What specific disabilities/difficulties do you have that makes you think you need more than what you already have? Surely its an issue where requirement should be matched to need. Maybe there is too much of a one size fits all approach?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
you still habve to pay £200 towards it?

A non-disabled student would have to buy a laptop or a computer for uni. That will cost them far more than £200.

You really have no idea how lucky you are.
Original post by hellodave5
What specific disabilities/difficulties do you have that makes you think you need more than what you already have? Surely its an issue where requirement should be matched to need. Maybe there is too much of a one size fits all approach?

Yes, one size fits all sums up the OU disability arrangements very nicely. I have disability statement and tutors supposed to give me notes, but so far, I have never received a single word.

The Disability policies are basically words on paper, nothing more. If you get a supportive tutor they are rare, mine did not bother 2 years in a row. I went through the course entirely on my own as it were, ok for the first course, got through that ok, but the 2nd one, disaster with the EMA. The tutor flatly refused to give me a single word of alternative help. OU's response is to complain, but it is very difficult complaining, as complaints are often rejected/nothing gets done to rectify the matter.

I read somewhere that tutors don't get paid for the extra time to give alternative support to students with disabilities, so that explains a lot.

I feel they are not bothered about performance if you have disabilities, they could not care less. I am leaving them, disillusioned, part way through a degree, looking into whether I can get a student loan and start again elsewhere. Having spent a lot of money which is wasted as I can't transfer any of the courses I have taken.
Original post by sootydog1
Yes, one size fits all sums up the OU disability arrangements very nicely. I have disability statement and tutors supposed to give me notes, but so far, I have never received a single word.

The Disability policies are basically words on paper, nothing more. If you get a supportive tutor they are rare, mine did not bother 2 years in a row. I went through the course entirely on my own as it were, ok for the first course, got through that ok, but the 2nd one, disaster with the EMA. The tutor flatly refused to give me a single word of alternative help. OU's response is to complain, but it is very difficult complaining, as complaints are often rejected/nothing gets done to rectify the matter.

I read somewhere that tutors don't get paid for the extra time to give alternative support to students with disabilities, so that explains a lot.

I feel they are not bothered about performance if you have disabilities, they could not care less. I am leaving them, disillusioned, part way through a degree, looking into whether I can get a student loan and start again elsewhere. Having spent a lot of money which is wasted as I can't transfer any of the courses I have taken.

My experience was the complete opposite. I've only had to abandon my studies completely because of ill health.
A non-disabled student would have to buy a laptop or a computer for uni. That will cost them far more than £200.

You really have no idea how lucky you are.

This guy. Lucky how, I didn't ask to be like that.

Also my laptop which I have had for 2 years is better than from what I was told specs are of the laptops you have to purchase.

Original post by hellodave5

sperg, dyslexic and dyspraxic. I suppose it is partly why I am good at math, but less so in languages and arty farty subjects :/

Reading problems, bad handwriting, interacting, following instructions, sthort term memroy etc.

I suppose so, but no-one caters for multiple which is disappointing.
This guy. Lucky how, I didn't ask to be like that.

Also my laptop which I have had for 2 years is better than from what I was told specs are of the laptops you have to purchase.

sperg, dyslexic and dyspraxic. I suppose it is partly why I am good at math, but less so in languages and arty farty subjects :/

Reading problems, bad handwriting, interacting, following instructions, sthort term memroy etc.

I suppose so, but no-one caters for multiple which is disappointing.

A lot more is done for disabled students than you think. Years ago, we didn't have the Equalities Act.

Heck, one college I was going to attend, (which I didn't for obvious reasons) refused to make reasonable adjustments. I was told I don't have the disabilities I have.

25% extra time is the standard amount of extra time unis give. I think they can give more.
(edited 8 years ago)
No just annoyed.

In US they get 50% extra tiem for ADHD.

I have multiple disabilites and only get 25%.

Such a disgrace.

Also, I shouldn't have to pay £200 for laptop, should be provided free. And also it has low specs omg.

Care to explain why you should be provided a free laptop? In my school we do need techincal equipment reggardless of if we are disabled or not, and we need to buy it ourselves. Why would you be an expection?
A lot more is done for disabled students than you think. Years ago, we didn't have the Equalities Act.

pfft not at a level perhaps later on. But a levels/igcse barely any support.
Original post by Emilia1320
Care to explain why you should be provided a free laptop? In my school we do need techincal equipment reggardless of if we are disabled or not, and we need to buy it ourselves. Why would you be an expection?

Quite. If you weren't disabled, you'd have to pay full price for a laptop. The idea of DSA is to put you on a level playing field with non-disabled students. Not to give you an advantage.
Original post by Emilia1320

Because I have more disabilities than other people, and I consider that I would benefit from it more than others. Also I suggested that everyone with learnding difficulties/disbalities should get it free. Not just myself.
Because I have more disabilities than other people, and I consider that I would benefit from it more than others. Also I suggested that everyone with learnding difficulties/disbalities should get it free. Not just myself.

You'd need a laptop whether you were disabled or not.
I cannot believe that potentially other disabled/learning dificulty individuals are actually saying that I am wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest