The Student Room Group

Overrated bands/artists

The following bands..... for the life of me I cannot understand why people listen to them. I have tried to hard to like all of these but I find them incredibly dull and tedious.

- Blur - how they are compared to Oasis is beyond me, they have exactly 0 catchy songs. I have listened to their albums so many times and I don't recall any of the tracks beause they just failed to get stuck in my head

- Pink Floyd - they have like 5 decent songs and the rest are these long tracks which have no singing for the first 3 minutes and they are so repetitive and then they have the short tracks which are basically like blank tracks

- The Rolling Stones - I just don't get it

- Duran Duran - same as Blur, I just can't seem to recall any of their songs no matter how many times I listen to their albums and try to get into them and try to tell myself they are good, I just don't remember any of the tunes the next day

- Fleetwood Mac - Apparently, their album 'Rumours' is like everything, but I'd rather watch paint dry

- Radiohead - their music is just pointless. I only like one song. The rest of them all sound the same and have no melody.

- Muse - pretentious idiots, their only decent songs are the singles.

- Maroon 5 - they have 2 memorable songs. She will be loved and This Love yet they're huge

- The Beatles - listening to basic music from the early 60's just doesnt make me jump up and down. their music is so basic, I am sure I would find it amazing if this was 50 years ago but in 2015, it just doesnt work anymore.

cant think of any others now

list yours xo
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Duran Duran and Maroon 5 are both generic pop bands that no one ever considered to be good...

I agree with the rolling stones, never got why they're considered so good (Though haven't listened to them extensively) under your thumb is a good song though...

Not sure how you can say all Radiohead's songs sound the same and then say (imply at least) that your an Oasis fan since Oasis are just about as samey as you can get.

Early 60s Beatles weren't very good, listen to Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, the change between the second last song going into a day in the life is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

As for bands who I personally think are overrated, I'd say the Strokes... They have some catchy songs but do nothing particularly interesting musically...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by driftawaay

I agree on all of yours except The Beatles (only their early stuff is basic really) and Pink Floyd.

There are obviously a lot of modern bland pop artists I can call overrated but that's too easy

Anthrax - Just because they are said to be part of the big 4 of thrash metal but they seem in a lesser league when compared with the other 3

Arcade Fire - I remember them being hailed as this great new indie thing but their music did nothing for me. Perhaps others feel the same as I don't hear much about them now I guess.

Oasis - Some catchy songs but not worth all the plaudits.

Prince - Excellent musician but I just don't particularly enjoy many of his songs.

Michael Jackson - Never really got into the vast majority of his songs. Great voice, good music, but eh. I suppose it's much better than most modern pop at least

Nirvana - Sacrilege, I know! A couple of their songs e.g. Lithium and Something in the Way I really really like, but I find most of their stuff just a bit boring.

Eric Clapton - Mainly dislike how he is viewed as one of the best guitarists ever. His guitaring and his music in general is super dull to me. Although I do love some of his work with other artists; the While my Guitar Gently Weeps solo is nice and Layla is a great song.
how can u include pink floyd in that list :frown:

i used to like u OP :cry:
Reply 4
Original post by John55
Duran Duran and Maroon 5 are both generic pop bands that no one ever considered to be good...

Duran Duran has sold over a 100 millions albums and Maroon 5 has sold 30 million. They're some of the best selling acts of all time so clearly lots of people consider them good!

Original post by John55

Not sure how you can say all Radiohead's songs sound the same and then say (imply at least) that your an Oasis fan since Oasis are just about as samey as you can get.

Indeed, however Oasis is very melodic and catchy even if their music doesn't have a lot of variety, but even one trick pony bands can be good if their music is catchy. Whereas Radiohead just isn't melodic, I just listen to them and I cannot find any melody, any emotion, or anything I can sing along to. It's just bland noise to me. lol
Reply 5
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
how can u include pink floyd in that list :frown:

i used to like u OP :cry:

I just don't get it. I really want to like them so it's a real struggle. The most annoying is The Wall, because they have all these short songs which are just pointless. I hate albums with lots of pointless intros/outros or short instrumental songs thrown in. Another Brick In the Wall, Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky, and Comfortably Numb are obviously good though.
Reply 6
OP (with the Kristen Stewart avatar) really needs to make a thread for overrated movies next and put Twilight as #1.
Reply 7
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Arcade Fire - I remember them being hailed as this great new indie thing but their music did nothing for me. Perhaps others feel the same as I don't hear much about them now I guess.

Disagree.

They've changed with each album, constructing really great concept records and they are undoubtedly one of the most progressive indie and alternative acts of the modern day.

For me, The Rolling Stones, Muse and Coldplay are the three biggest over-rated.
Fleetwood Mac have released far more than Rumours. Much prefer Tango in the Night.
Reply 9
Original post by Kaeden
OP (with the Kristen Stewart avatar) really needs to make a thread for overrated movies next and put Twilight as #1.

I have never seen Twilight. But at least you tried to be witty.... here, have a cookie

Reply 10
Original post by Mackay
Disagree.

They've changed with each album, constructing really great concept records and they are undoubtedly one of the most progressive indie and alternative acts of the modern day.

For me, The Rolling Stones, Muse and Coldplay are the three biggest over-rated.

I am obsessed with Arcade Fire. I remember I used to hate them and think they were one of those pretentious indie bands but I made a real effort to get into them and they are geniuses. They have gotten better with each album. Although lots of people say they used to be good and they are getting worse with each album... lol, I guess they have gotten more commercial so they are now too mainstream for the indie hipsters who liked them in 2006.
The following bands..... for the life of me I cannot understand why people listen to them. I have tried to hard to like all of these but I find them incredibly dull and tedious.

- Blur - how they are compared to Oasis is beyond me, they have exactly 0 catchy songs. I have listened to their albums so many times and I don't recall any of the tracks beause they just failed to get stuck in my head

- Pink Floyd - they have like 5 decent songs and the rest are these long tracks which have no singing for the first 3 minutes and they are so repetitive and then they have the short tracks which are basically like blank tracks

- The Rolling Stones - I just don't get it

- Duran Duran - same as Blur, I just can't seem to recall any of their songs no matter how many times I listen to their albums and try to get into them and try to tell myself they are good, I just don't remember any of the tunes the next day

- Fleetwood Mac - Apparently, their album 'Rumours' is like everything, but I'd rather watch paint dry

- Radiohead - their music is just pointless. I only like one song. The rest of them all sound the same and have no melody.

- Muse - pretentious idiots, their only decent songs are the singles.

- Maroon 5 - they have 2 memorable songs. She will be loved and This Love yet they're huge

- The Beatles - listening to basic music from the early 60's just doesnt make me jump up and down. their music is so basic, I am sure I would find it amazing if this was 50 years ago but in 2015, it just doesnt work anymore.

cant think of any others now

list yours xo

Pink Floyd Yeah for sure.
Blur-some catchy songs but not much about them.
Duran Duran are ****e.

I think you might have listened to the wrong stuff by the Beatles and Stones tbh.

Have you listened to Rubber Soul(best Beatles album for me), for example, or forty licks... Just wondered.
Pink Floyd are excellent and if you don't agree then you're an imbecile.
Reply 13
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Pink Floyd Yeah for sure.
Blur-some catchy songs but not much about them.
Duran Duran are ****e.

I think you might have listened to the wrong stuff by the Beatles and Stones tbh.

Have you listened to Rubber Soul(best Beatles album for me), for example, or forty licks... Just wondered.

Oh I have listened to every single Beatles and Rolling Stones album, I have tried SO hard to like them because I know they are those bands that just HAVE to be loved... but no, I don't feel anything when I listen to them. Sometimes I put on Hey Jude but that's all. LMAO. I can only listen to the Elton John version of Lucy in the sky with diamonds. :colonhash:
Don't forget Paramore :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by goldenshades
don't forget paramore :colondollar:

i love paramore.
Reply 16
-Arctic Monkeys
-The Strokes (reptilia and hard to explain are the only good songs, imo)
-Vampire Weekends.
-The 1975
-The Neighbourhood
-Two door cinema club (they went downhill after they became really popular)
-Ed Sheeran
-Passenger
-Coldplay
-Muse
-Adele
-Clean Bandit

Oh and every mainstream rappers nowadays are overrated, to the point that its not worth for me to mention their names on the bullet point.
Reply 17
Original post by goldenshades
Don't forget Paramore :colondollar:

I'd say they are quite underrated although most people nowadays heard of them.

Hayley's voice is to die for.
Reply 18
Original post by kkboyk
-Arctic Monkeys
-The Strokes (reptilia and hard to explain are the only good songs, imo)
-Vampire Weekends.
-The 1975
-The Neighbourhood
-Two door cinema club (they went downhill after they became really popular)
-Ed Sheeran
-Passenger
-Coldplay
-Muse
-Adele
-Clean Bandit

Oh and every mainstream rappers nowadays are overrated, to the point that its not worth for me to mention their names on the bullet point.

Vampire Weekend is really vanilla and Two Door Cinema Club is possibly the most boring band I have ever listened to (seriously). I LOVED Ed Sheeran's first album but the second one is horrible and him trying to rap (or whatever it is he was doing on half of the songs) was abominable.

My problem with Muse is that they are so unrelatable and pretentious. Why would you write songs such as The 2nd Law: Isolated System and Exogenesis Symphony, like how pretentious can you get.

I love The 1975. :h:
Reply 19
Duran Duran has sold over a 100 millions albums and Maroon 5 has sold 30 million. They're some of the best selling acts of all time so clearly lots of people consider them good!

The thing with bands like Duran Duran and Maroon 5 is that their the kind of generic pop music that people who don't really care about music listen to. Their easy to enjoy because they're cleanly produced and they make easy to enjoy melodies. Before I got into listening to music I listened to Maroon 5 but once you've listened to any actual, good and interesting music, they unbearably boring and passionless, for me personally anyway.

Indeed, however Oasis is very melodic and catchy even if their music doesn't have a lot of variety, but even one trick pony bands can be good if their music is catchy. Whereas Radiohead just isn't melodic, I just listen to them and I cannot find any melody, any emotion, or anything I can sing along to. It's just bland noise to me. lol

Songs like High and Dry and Karma Police have brilliant melodies... But everyone's listened to them so I guess your probably just never going to be a Radio head fan, which is fair enough...

Quick Reply

Latest