The Student Room Group

How to I pay my rent...?

Hi,

I'm looking to apply for the MSc Nursing (Mental Health) (pre-registration) at the University of Essex (where I did my BSc a few years ago). I'm aware that the fees are paid by the NHS, and it looks like I'll be eligible for an NHS bursary but that's only in the region of £5000. What I need to know is where do I get further funding to pay for things like rent and food? I'm currently working full time on about £18k, so really can't afford to stop work completely with no other sources of support!

Hope someone can help,

Original post by Harri28
Hi,

I'm looking to apply for the MSc Nursing (Mental Health) (pre-registration) at the University of Essex (where I did my BSc a few years ago). I'm aware that the fees are paid by the NHS, and it looks like I'll be eligible for an NHS bursary but that's only in the region of £5000. What I need to know is where do I get further funding to pay for things like rent and food? I'm currently working full time on about £18k, so really can't afford to stop work completely with no other sources of support!

Hope someone can help,

Look to see if you can negotiate with your work: can you go part time, or get speific release for tye days you have classes. If your MA is related to your work, then the NHS is usually really good about this.
You can apply for a career and development loan. They have fixed interest rates throughout your studying and a few months after (roughly) and are up to £10,000. See here for more info...

https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview

I shall we doing the physio pre-reg course next year and have no other means for living costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hopefulphysio
You can apply for a career and development loan. They have fixed interest rates throughout your studying and a few months after (roughly) and are up to £10,000. See here for more info...

https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview

I shall we doing the physio pre-reg course next year and have no other means for living costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel I ought to step in here and make clear that unlike student finance those loans aren't guarenteed- the banks that offer them credit check you first and can reject the application entirely or only award some of the money.
Original post by jelly1000
I feel I ought to step in here and make clear that unlike student finance those loans aren't guarenteed- the banks that offer them credit check you first and can reject the application entirely or only award some of the money.

Not to mention the repayment rate is nowhere near as nice as the SF loans and can quickly mount up.
Original post by SophieSmall
Not to mention the repayment rate is nowhere near as nice as the SF loans and can quickly mount up.

oh that too, and you have to pay it back a couple of months after finishing, whether you have the means to or not
I spoke to the advisors for these loans and the total interest was only like £500 over a 5 year period, paying about £220 per month.

Not a crazy amount. It depends what your alternatives are. For me, none. Career and professional development loan or no money.

You can only apply for the loan up to a couple of months before the course starts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending