The Student Room Group

I'm going to end up as nothing?

Okay so my parents buy everything I need and stuff but my dad always says I'm going to end up as nothing and I'm just going to be on benefits with no life and I will drop out of school and that I'm already a failure and I will drop out of school and end up as nothing. It makes me cry like everyday as he says this often. My mum lets him say these things. Other then that they are good parents but it makes me so upset everyday I don't know what to do. What do you guys think?
Why does he say that, doyu get bad grades, do you skip school or anything like that?
You'll make it trust me - it's only your uncertainty that will let you down. You get the grades and work hard girl! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by driftawaay
Why does he say that, doyu get bad grades, do you skip school or anything like that?

I don't know my grades are on average B's never skip
Original post by lilylf
I don't know my grades are on average B's never skip

Well then why doesyour dad say things like that, is it when he's angry at you for something? Or does he just bully you for no reason?
What is your ethnic background?
Reply 6
Original post by Hippysnake

I don't know why that would matter but I'm white? I don't know my proper ethnic background
Reply 7
Original post by driftawaay
Well then why doesyour dad say things like that, is it when he's angry at you for something? Or does he just bully you for no reason?

I don't know I will be talking to my mum about school and saying what we were learning about blah blah blah and then he will come in and say stuff like that and my mum doesn't say anything to him
That rings a bell. It is completely counter productive saying such things to your children.
As I have learned, there is always time to redeem yourself. Don't worry about it. Find something you are interested in, and give it a shot. Enjoyment is the main thing really to actually succeeding.
Is it your behaviour, and what's school saying. If you usually average a b but your grades have dropped that might explain things
Reply 10
Original post by garfeeled
Is it your behaviour, and what's school saying. If you usually average a b but your grades have dropped that might explain things

No I'm literally always well behaved in and out of school and my dad doesn't even know my grades bc we haven't got reports yet but he must know I revise because I revise at the dining table
Reply 11
Original post by hellodave5
That rings a bell. It is completely counter productive saying such things to your children.
As I have learned, there is always time to redeem yourself. Don't worry about it. Find something you are interested in, and give it a shot. Enjoyment is the main thing really to actually succeeding.

I try not to worry but I always thought your parents were meant to support you. I guess I can learn from his mistakes and know that I will never say anything like that to my children. Thanks though I will try to ignore him but it's really hard.
Original post by Hippysnake

I agree with this poster regarding ethnic backgrounds. As an asian myself I find that in most asian families there is a lot of emphasis placed on children regarding how much of a success they can be when they are older. Money and respect are usually their main concerns. I am not stereotyping I am saying this solely on the basis of having first hand seen this sort of behaviour in asian families. This is not a generalisation.
Reply 13
Original post by the terminator
I agree with this poster regarding ethnic backgrounds. As an asian myself I find that in most asian families there is a lot of emphasis placed on children regarding how much of a success they can be when they are older. Money and respect are usually their main concerns. I am not stereotyping I am saying this solely on the basis of having first hand seen this sort of behaviour in asian families. This is not a generalisation.

I'm not Asian though I'm white
Original post by lilylf
I try not to worry but I always thought your parents were meant to support you. I guess I can learn from his mistakes and know that I will never say anything like that to my children. Thanks though I will try to ignore him but it's really hard.

What stage of life/age are you at?
Yeah. It will give you a positive perspective to bring up your own children with, at least.
Reply 15
What stage of life/age are you at?
Yeah. It will give you a positive perspective to bring up your own children with, at least.

I'm 16 doing a levels, previously done my GCSEs and passed.
Original post by lilylf
I'm 16 doing a levels, previously done my GCSEs and passed.

Congratulations. I failed my AS levels, but things worked out for me. So no matter what way it goes, don't worry and stick at it and you will be fine.
Reply 17
I'm in your shoes. I understand completely. But you have choice of making your life the way you want. Just bc someone who gave birth to you says you'll be certain way doesn't mean it'll be true. I've heard it all trust me you'll never mount to anything in life, you'll be a no body, your life is worthless, you're useless find anyone you can trick into marrying and leave all of it by my own mother (we have a beautiful mother daughter bond can u tell) I'm not even a trouble giving kid. I studied whatever they wanted me to study even when I was so unhappy and things got too much it affected my mental health and I dropped out of uni and it seemed as if my mother was right. I doubted my self and I began to believe her. So I know it's tough when the people who are supposed to support you and love you unconditionally are the ones who bring you down so much. It sucks it's a ****ty attitude. Tough love or whatever the **** that is that's not helpful at all. So listen kid this is your life do your best bc you'll make it. Cliche as it may sound but you gotta prove them wrong. Be successful be happy in what you study and get a career you will love and that will be a **** you to your dad your mom and anyone including the parts of you that doubts you. You're gonna be okay. You're going to make it. Believe in yourself and don't ever let them bring you down. You've got this.
Reply 18
Congratulations. I failed my AS levels, but things worked out for me. So no matter what way it goes, don't worry and stick at it and you will be fine.

Thank you:smile:
My dad still says 'If you don't work hard for the next 3/4 years at uni then the next 30/40 years will be very hard'. I just take it as advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending