The Student Room Group

Social Work 2016

Hi,
I am applying to Strathclyde, RGU, Stirling, Edinburgh and UWS for social work in 2016.
Is anyone else applying or any current students who could advise me on me PS?
Original post by amy_mccourt
Hi,
I am applying to Strathclyde, RGU, Stirling, Edinburgh and UWS for social work in 2016.
Is anyone else applying or any current students who could advise me on me PS?

Hey, I'm applying for Social Work too! I'm applying to RGU, Stirling, GCU, Dundee and UWS. I'm also a bit unsure about what to put in my PS :s-smilie: I guess just about what you feel is the role of a social worker, your relevant experiences and how they have shaped you/your idea of the roles of a social worker/your interest in the course.
Reply 2
Good luck with the application!
Yeah that sounds about right, thanks, do you have much work experience?
Also when are you sending your application away, I read replies often aren't sent out until March for social work!
Last year I got most of my replies late January, interviews were February. It's different for everybody though.

Personal statement, try to give your own mini definition of what social work is in your eyes, and briefly explain what it is that made you want to do social work. Mention a lot about your experience and how this, as well as other life events or what you have learned, links to the role of a social worker or your passion for this vocation. I also included a extra paragraph to talk about my own personal hobbies and I cheekily linked this to time management skills. Conclude with something that is informative and gets the readers attention one final time, I just gave an additional reason and summed up how all of the things I had mentioned had shaped me and my views on SW.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
Last year I got most of my replies late January, interviews were February. It's different for everybody though.

Personal statement, try to give your own mini definition of what social work is in your eyes, and briefly explain what it is that made you want to do social work. Mention a lot about your experience and how this, as well as other life events or what you have learned, links to the role of a social worker or your passion for this vocation. I also included a extra paragraph to talk about my own personal hobbies and I cheekily linked this to time management skills. Conclude with something that is informative and gets the readers attention one final time, I just gave an additional reason and summed up how all of the things I had mentioned had shaped me and my views on SW.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! That really helps, I also heard universities give preference to those who have been through the system/experienced social work, do you know how much truth is in this? I've had work experience but I haven't been through the system or anything like that.
Thanks so much! That really helps, I also heard universities give preference to those who have been through the system/experienced social work, do you know how much truth is in this? I've had work experience but I haven't been through the system or anything like that.

You're welcome, no there is no favouritism towards people who have been through the system. That's one of the silliest things I have heard. I know one person in my cohort has been through the system, that's all. But obviously having experience in the system can be used to give reasons for your wanting to be a SW, so I can see how uni's will take them, its not because they have been in care but more because they have used it well and performed good enough in the written tests and interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey folks, i am a current social work student at Stirling and remember all to well the stress that is the personal statement my only advice would be to read a book on social work first, look at social work values such as SSSC codes of practice say how they are parallel with your own personal values, Talk about your current experiences of social care and the importance to be a reflective practitioner. Mention about your motivation and what influenced your choice to become a social worker. Also include your interpersonal skills such as time keeping and organisational skills. Feel free to get in touch if i can be of anymore help
Good luck xxx
P.S Stirling is an amazing place to study with beautiful surroundings, small class numbers and highly motivated staff....
Reply 7
Original post by kerrylu21
Hey folks, i am a current social work student at Stirling and remember all to well the stress that is the personal statement my only advice would be to read a book on social work first, look at social work values such as SSSC codes of practice say how they are parallel with your own personal values, Talk about your current experiences of social care and the importance to be a reflective practitioner. Mention about your motivation and what influenced your choice to become a social worker. Also include your interpersonal skills such as time keeping and organisational skills. Feel free to get in touch if i can be of anymore help
Good luck xxx
P.S Stirling is an amazing place to study with beautiful surroundings, small class numbers and highly motivated staff....

Thanks so much! I'll definitely do my personal statement some what in that format, did you find the application process(interview etc) challenging? And what were your grades if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks so much! I'll definitely do my personal statement some what in that format, did you find the application process(interview etc) challenging? And what were your grades if you don't mind me asking?

Strath, Stirling and UWS were all just written exercises, they were asking for an additional personal statement and answering 2 case studies. They were mostly about the challenges faced by sw and professional values. I had a hnc in social care at college and got into strath and Stirling and Dundee.
Strath, Stirling and UWS were all just written exercises, they were asking for an additional personal statement and answering 2 case studies. They were mostly about the challenges faced by sw and professional values. I had a hnc in social care at college and got into strath and Stirling and Dundee.

Hey! Thanks for sharing such helpful information, I was just wondering what work experiences you had before applying alongside the HNC? Thanks! :h:
I worked within my towns local adults social work team and also had past experience of home care and as hospital auxicillary nurse. But there are people in my class who has had very little experience of working in the social care sectors.
Has anyone else got a reply yet I got an unconditional for stirling last night
Good luck xxx

Hiya i got an unconditional for social work at stirling, have you got any tips before starting the course
Reply 13
Original post by Des18shiels
Has anyone else got a reply yet I got an unconditional for stirling last night

Hey there, i also got an unconditional for stirling on monday. I am still waiting to hear back from strathy and uws though.
Hope everyone hears soon
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest