The Student Room Group

Why are Arnold Schwarzeneggar and Zyzz so many people's heroes if they used steroids?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem well versed in the matter of body building. I tried the GOMAD diet, managed to throw all the milk up :eek:

And that's interesting: however I thought hormonal responses were far longer, how long would it take for the effects of synthetic thyroid hormones to wear off? Steroids I see as a quick and dirty way to get big, they can cause so much damage, I mean Zyzz died because of a heart attack from them? (Not too sure). I considered them but could not see how risk can outweigh benefits? And by steroid do you mean artificial testosterone types or precursors to IGF-1?

Amino acids can also be converted to glucose through gluconeogenisis as well, protein can effectively replace carbohydrates short term

Other genetic health complications combined with drugs most likely caused his death.

Ever tried a mass gainer? Liquid calories, 3 scoops with some whole milk, you're looking at 3000 calories in a drink right there haha.
Reply 81
Original post by JD1lla
Other genetic health complications combined with drugs most likely caused his death.

Ever tried a mass gainer? Liquid calories, 3 scoops with some whole milk, you're looking at 3000 calories in a drink right there haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I only read a few articles on it.

And they are too expensive, I take 3 normal protein shakes instead
Reply 82
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I only read a few articles on it.

And they are too expensive, I take 3 normal protein shakes instead

You could always make your own. 5kg of oats for £9.99 at MyProtein, a big tub of cadburys chocolate powder, lots of milk, sorted for a few months.
OP thinks 1 tren cycle will turn him into Arnold.
Reply 84
Original post by JD1lla
You could always make your own. 5kg of oats for £9.99 at MyProtein, a big tub of cadburys chocolate powder, lots of milk, sorted for a few months.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh? May try that then. Cheers :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

oh? May try that then. Cheers :smile:

and don't forget peanut butter! You can get a huge tub of that for cheap as well. No excuses for not gaining weight :wink:
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem well versed in the matter of body building. I tried the GOMAD diet, managed to throw all the milk up :eek:

And that's interesting: however I thought hormonal responses were far longer, how long would it take for the effects of synthetic thyroid hormones to wear off? Steroids I see as a quick and dirty way to get big, they can cause so much damage, I mean Zyzz died because of a heart attack from them? (Not too sure). I considered them but could not see how risk can outweigh benefits? And by steroid do you mean artificial testosterone types or precursors to IGF-1?

Amino acids can also be converted to glucose through gluconeogenisis as well, protein can effectively replace carbohydrates short term

Yeah I've been training a few years now mate, I love reading up on anything bodybuilding related, I'm also a regular at a typical "hardcore bodybuilding" gym so naturally I chat about these things, some of them catch my interest and then I go do a bit of research :smile: Ugh, yeah I love milk and all, but GOMAD is a ****ing ridiculous idea for so many reasons that I can't even list :lol:

It'd typically be a couple or few weeks. Very interesting article on the matter here, cites all the most relevant studies:
http://www.forbodybuilders.info/2009/05/thyroid-hormone-for-weight-lossphysiologic-and-metabolic-effects-by-nandi/
It's apparently been thought for a long time in the bodybuilding community that using thyroid hormones could mess up your thyroid permanently, but really there has been no evidence of this ever happening or being likely to happen, and plenty of evidence to prove the opposite.

There are certainly risks, though I think that the more you look into it the more you realise that the majority of these supposed side effects are media hype. They certainly increase muscle mass faster than you'd build it naturally, but you still have to work just as hard and diet just as much, or they won't work, certainly not an "easy" way of doing things as it's also expensive not as effective as many people think (you're not gonna gain several stone in muscle in the space of a few months, for example, far from). There's also a limit to how much you can build naturally, and most people would be surprised by how relatively unimpressive that limit is. As I said I've been training 3 years now; I've made great progress, always getting complimented on my physique, but I'd like to be considerably bigger still but I'm nearing the end of what's possible for me to attain naturally. So to get to my end goal, I'd have no choice but to start using them, so naturally I've been doing a lot of reading on them as it might be something I have to consider.

Zyzz did indeed die of heart complications, but the post-mortem suggested he'd been living with an undiagnosed heart condition for several years and he was also on recreational drugs at the time which are thought to be at least partially responsible.
Most steroids are testosterone or DHT derivatives. Things like IGF and GH are peptides, not steroids :wink: You'd still fail a performance-enhancing drug test for being on them though.

Yeah absolutely, of course this generally only being in the absence of sufficient carbohydrates in the body so if you're eating a lot it wouldn't really apply, but then it just proves the point that an adequate amount of glycogen is stored where needed throughout the body despite the carbs being "dirty".
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hyperthyroidism results in an inability to keep weight on, as does various diseases

Yeah and that's only when the values of the hormones are bad enough to warrant an actual diagnosis. People can be upper or lower range of "normal" for thyroid but still someone with low levels of TSH etc. will have a slower metabolic rate in general (unless they have HUGE amounts of muscle) compared to someone of the same weight with levels at the higher end of normal.

Same with T. Lol at "professionals" trying to tell men with 350 ng/dl that they are "normal". Yeah good luck with actually being a man with levels like that. Good luck being confident and assertive. Maybe you will gain muscle at the rate of a woman.

There is a solution of course, even if the doctors refuse to give it to you.
I assume I made the right choice in not reading this thread.
Original post by SmashConcept
I assume I made the right choice in not reading this thread.

Correct.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Reply 90
Original post by SmellyProtein
Correct.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Second grade insult
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Second grade insult

I'm not insulting anyone..... Unless you think you're an idiot?
Reply 92
I'm not insulting anyone..... Unless you think you're an idiot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

omfg you are so ridiculous. I'm just saying its not a very good insult
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

omfg you are so ridiculous. I'm just saying its not a very good insult

Although you did think Arnold used HGH and not steroids......
Reply 94
Although you did think Arnold used HGH and not steroids......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude :rofl: the argument was finished ages ago, Im not even gonna respond to you anymore
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude :rofl: the argument was finished ages ago, Im not even gonna respond to you anymore

Well you just responded..... awkward.
Reply 96
Well you just responded..... awkward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I..what..omfg I am done
Reply 97
Original post by Honey126
It's not very impressive to get huge from taking steroids, so I don't understand why so many people look up to them when they used steroids rather than working hard naturally

Because its not necessarily about their drug use, its about their mantra, their work ethic. The amount of dedication required (natural or not) to achieve physiques like Arnold is almost unimaginable to most people. Obviously non-lifters will just see the word steroids and then be quick to dismiss their efforts. Drug use is a personal thing to them. As the saying goes you can have to take the good leaf out of someones book.
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

I..what..omfg I am done

and again.....Please leave before you embarrass yourself more through posting false information.
Because Arnie is a legend.

Quick Reply

Latest