The Student Room Group

Overrated bands/artists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
The following bands..... for the life of me I cannot understand why people listen to them. I have tried to hard to like all of these but I find them incredibly dull and tedious.

Your opinions are wrong
Reply 41
Original post by Tabstercat
Your opinions are wrong

The Stone Roses
Oasis
Coldplay
Kanye West
Jay Z
Adele
Kendrick Lamar to an extent
Eminem, as above
NWA
Ed Sheeran

Probably loads more.
Reply 43
Original post by Mackay
Disagree.

They've changed with each album, constructing really great concept records and they are undoubtedly one of the most progressive indie and alternative acts of the modern day.

For me, The Rolling Stones, Muse and Coldplay are the three biggest over-rated.

To be honest my opinion on them is not very informed; I haven't heard them in ages, they just came to mind. I hear a lot of people ripping on Muse and Coldplay to be honest but yeah they are overrated in general. The Rolling Stones however seem a bit boring for a band labelled one of the most important and best ever..
Reply 44
>Pink Floyd overrated

Literally the pioneers of prog rock
Almost every popular artist today, so I won't be going through that..

Oasis by far (It's also highly amusing and Ironic that the brothers accuse other artists of not being Rockstars, when the two of them are like school children when compared to the likes of Jim Morrison and Keith Moon)
Beatles,
Blur (Gorillaz are far superior),
Eminem
Drake
Kendrick Lamar

There's more I can't currently think of
Definitely Oasis not only overrated but also complete W***ers, would not believe or acknowledge a word which comes out of either of their mouths.
Blur have loads of great tracks tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATWnH-yb6-o

^ can you even get any catchier than this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqXVx3sBOk

^ used to love this as a kid, great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7x28-V66eQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbBvKaM6sk

^ FIFA 98 :cool:

lol, Blur were a very good band. Liked the Gorillaz too :cool:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqXVx3sBOk

^ used to love this as a kid, great video

Same, brilliant tune
Reply 49
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
He is though. You, sir, are an idiot.

Perhaps I should qualify here. It depends on how broad "one of the best" is meant. I would say he has been very influential, has obvious talent, and has written and played some great stuff. But many will say he's second to Hendrix and stuff like that and I haven't heard him play anything to convince me of that. In general the artists I listed I haven't heard loads of because I didn't particularly like most of what I heard at first, so I'm open to being shown some super mind-blowing Clapton stuff. But chill out; I'm not attacking Clapton's ability, I just don't tend to find his guitar playing or music in general enthralling.
Original post by hellodave5
But Radiohead have SO MANY gems. What about Videotape?:

[video="youtube;Qvv-LpTBWVk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvv-LpTBWVk[/video]

Radiohead are great, do you like jigsaw falling into place?
this Weeknd guy, he seems to be always on the radio but although the melody of his songs are actually quite good he ruins it by sinking to the level of excess swearing, violence and drugs :s-smilie:

also there is something about him not communicating in anything other than 'tweets'. that is quite pretentious imo :indiff:
Original post by pineneedles
Radiohead are great, do you like jigsaw falling into place?

Another beauty!!! :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by CoolCavy
this Weeknd guy, he seems to be always on the radio but although the melody of his songs are actually quite good he ruins it by sinking to the level of excess swearing, violence and drugs :s-smilie:

also there is something about him not communicating in anything other than 'tweets'. that is quite pretentious imo :indiff:

He is horrible imo I dont get the hype about him
Original post by driftawaay
He is horrible imo I dont get the hype about him

yeah me neither tbh, it's like he sprang out of nowhere like a manic pineapple :s-smilie:
Original post by kkboyk
-Arctic Monkeys
-The Strokes (reptilia and hard to explain are the only good songs, imo)
-Vampire Weekends.
-The 1975
-The Neighbourhood
-Two door cinema club (they went downhill after they became really popular)
-Ed Sheeran
-Passenger
-Coldplay
-Muse
-Adele
-Clean Bandit

Oh and every mainstream rappers nowadays are overrated, to the point that its not worth for me to mention their names on the bullet point.

Vampire weekend aren't even rated that highly, like still hardly anyone has heard of them and those who do know either A-Punk or/and one of their singles from their newest album.
Pink Floyd and Radiohead are two of the best bands in history. I'm sorry you didn't receive the memo to join the club of the enlightened fans.
Green Day, Panic At The Disco, Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran are the most overrated artists.

Most underrated on the other hand - Twenty One Pilots and The Vaccines. If you look on most TOP videos, you always see comments like "why have I avoided this band for so long???". And the actual quality of music isn't some generic stuff churned out by some media executives.
I like Radiohead, and I like Pink Floyd, but it's easy to see why somebody wouldn't like them. If you don't like prog rock in general you obviously won't like Pink Floyd, and going by what OP posted:

"they have like 5 decent songs and the rest are these long tracks which have no singing for the first 3 minutes and they are so repetitive and then they have the short tracks which are basically like blank tracks "

She obviously just doesn't like the structure of the songs.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I like Radiohead, and I like Pink Floyd, but it's easy to see why somebody wouldn't like them. If you don't like prog rock in general you obviously won't like Pink Floyd, and going by what OP posted:

"they have like 5 decent songs and the rest are these long tracks which have no singing for the first 3 minutes and they are so repetitive and then they have the short tracks which are basically like blank tracks "

She obviously just doesn't like the structure of the songs.

I believe it was Socrates who said everybody should be allowed an opinion but not all opinions are of equal value.
I am taking issue with the fact OP calls these bands overrated. No self respecting music reviewer would call either of these bands overrated and they have the authority/valid opinion in this case and I am definitely not arguing against them.

Quick Reply

Latest