The Student Room Group

is it ok to have 1000 calories for 2 weeks?

OK, I am desperate to lose weight, for an upcoming events in about 6 weeks I bought this beautiful body control dress but my stomach and love handles are bulging :frown:. is it okay to eat 1000 calories just for the first two weeks and from their increase my calorie intake? would my metabolism slow down?

Scroll to see replies

honestly, that much decrease will probably make you feel pretty unwell
just exercise more. With the right diet and exercise you could easily lose a stone in 6 weeks
how many are we meant to eat a day? :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by The Diplomat.
just exercise more. With the right diet and exercise you could easily lose a stone in 6 weeks

but diet is 80% weight loss
protein sparing modified fast, google it
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
how many are we meant to eat a day? :redface:

about 1400-2000
Original post by loveleest
about 1400-2000

oh ok, thanks :colondollar:
but diet is 80% weight loss

hence I said with the right diet, and that certainly is not 1000 calories.
No, since you're practically up for starving yourself anyway with that idea.. I'd suggest intermittent fasting. (But I'm not sure how that works out for women) Exercise is vital, but no way would I say 1k cals per day is fine.
Reply 10
Original post by Greg Jackson
protein sparing modified fast, google it

I've heard bad things about it
Reply 11
oh ok, thanks :colondollar:

have a look at a TDEE calculator online, it'll tell you how many you personally should eat based on height, weight, activity level, age
Original post by difeo
have a look at a TDEE calculator online, it'll tell you how many you personally should eat based on height, weight, activity level, age

thanks :smile: i'll try that, usually i just go on the traffic light thing but that sounds more accurate :h:
Reply 13
Original post by difeo
If you're about age 20, average height, slightly overweight, and don't exercise, then 1000 isn't even that extreme. 1200 would be better, 1400 would work too, but 1000 isn't going to kill you, and it will mean you reach your goal quicker.

thank you. but would my mentabolism slow down?
Reply 14
thank you. but would my mentabolism slow down?

Nope, that's a myth: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1812308
Reply 15
No!:s-smilie: It's not good to do it long term and when you switch back to a normal 1500-2000 calorie diet then your body will store much more calories and you will suffer from the yoyo effect, plus it will slow down your metabolism
thanks :smile: i'll try that, usually i just go on the traffic light thing but that sounds more accurate :h:

"Traffic light thing" OMG Cavy! :biggrin:
Not going to lose a whole lot of weight in 6 weeks and most of it will be water weight and glycogen. Find your TDEE and eat like 500 calories less, keeping carbs low and protein high. Works well for bodybuilders prepping for shows.

If someone more knowledgeable could please comment on this thread to advise OP..... @Squats and milk
Original post by Imperion
"Traffic light thing" OMG Cavy! :biggrin:

omg is that wrong? :eek:
Reply 19
When i wanted to lose weight i didn't worry much about calories, but switched a lot of the calories i would normally eat for fruit and vegetables. This seemed to really helps me lose weight because your body can digest it quicker than processed foods. Also it means that you aren't losing out on lots of nutrition. Obviously i continued to eat other food with proteins in too to keep healthy, i just tried to cut out any snacks for vegetables instead.
However, doing this only helped me lose about 1/2 stone in 6 weeks, so if you are really serious about losing more, and still remaining healthy, then i personally would do a lot more exercise on top of that, rather than cutting down on any more food. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest