The Student Room Group

antidepressant CITALOPRAM this **** is messed up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
like i said, i was misdiagnosed with bipolar. i dont actually have, they just dont understand my personality. im not talking to any health carepfrofessionals ever again.

Therapy is rubbish for sure. Do you know the cause of your feelings? What in your life are you not happy with?
Antidepressants lower your body's sodium concentration for a few weeks, which is what gives you the symptoms. The effects wear off after the body re-adjusts it's sodium levels. Until then, try to relax, or try having a salty meal.
Original post by ThePrick
Therapy is rubbish for sure. Do you know the cause of your feelings? What in your life are you not happy with?

im unhappy with everything. but for no reason. i dont even have any real feelings towards my partner anymore except for when im occasionally in a hyper good mood. dont really know why.
Original post by Hippysnake
Antidepressants lower your body's sodium concentration for a few weeks, which is what gives you the symptoms. The effects wear off after the body re-adjusts it's sodium levels. Until then, try to relax, or try having a salty meal.

really? damn thats not good my blood tests showed that my levels of sodium were too low. dr didnt mention this
I'm on Citalopram and I used to have sleep issues when I first started taking it. It took about a week to settle down.
really? damn thats not good my blood tests showed that my levels of sodium were too low. dr didnt mention this

It's not a commonly known fact, but antidepressants cause the retention of pure water in the body, which dilutes the sodium. It wears off after a while. He probably didn't tell you because he or she either didn't know, or didn't think it was worth telling you as it would resolve anyway.
I'm on Citalopram and I used to have sleep issues when I first started taking it. It took about a week to settle down.

thats not just sleep its my brain! its like it snapped and i just cant escape it
im unhappy with everything. but for no reason. i dont even have any real feelings towards my partner anymore except for when im occasionally in a hyper good mood. dont really know why.

You said you aren't bipolar? But feeling depressed then super happy and hyper WITHOUT any reason does suggest you are bipolar. At least that's a possibility... If there truly is no reason. Of course there could be a reason that's not quite so consciously obvious...

It's getting to be winter now, that can have a bad effect on some people. They sell special lights called SAD lights for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder. Might also be days of the week. I get depressed every Sunday and NOT because of work or anything like that, I always feel depressed on Sundays regardless of whether I'm on holiday or whatever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hippysnake
It's not a commonly known fact, but antidepressants cause the retention of pure water in the body, which dilutes the sodium. It wears off after a while. He probably didn't tell you because he or she either didn't know, or didn't think it was worth telling you as it would resolve anyway.

thats very rude they just dont give a damn about anything. is it normal to feel like ive been hit on the head with a hammer repeteadly? its not the sedation effect. thats not it. its IN the brain, and you know the picture and sound, they seem separete now. i often take valium i know what sedation feels like this is like brain destruction as if its somehow canibalissing it piece by piece
Original post by ThePrick
You said you aren't bipolar? But feeling depressed then super happy and hyper WITHOUT any reason does suggest you are bipolar. At least that's a possibility... If there truly is no reason. Of course there could be a reason that's not quite so consciously obvious...

It's getting to be winter now, that can have a bad effect on some people. They sell special lights called SAD lights for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder. Might also be days of the week. I get depressed every Sunday and NOT because of work or anything like that, I always feel depressed on Sundays regardless of whether I'm on holiday or whatever.

i think its just my personality but nopee they just have to label everything ;//

idk i felt depressed evn in the summer. but its strange, the sunday thing your brain just doesnt like it I guess
Reply 30
like i said, i was misdiagnosed with bipolar. i dont actually have, they just dont understand my personality. im not talking to any health carepfrofessionals ever again.

My sister was on the stuff it is nasty. You should seek help from a private GP and refuse medication, talk to a therapist not a psychologist as they will not prescribe meds, if you need any more help, Private message me and I will reply ASAP :smile:
Reply 31
I would give the ADs a little more time as you can and sometimes get weird side effects with what many would regard as even mild medication. (Once I took Cloratidiene for hayfever, after 2 days on it I woke up and the room was spinning!, bloody scary!

If the symptroms persist ask for another antidepressant as Citalopram is at the more hardcore end as far as I know!
Original post by sw651
My sister was on the stuff it is nasty. You should seek help from a private GP and refuse medication, talk to a therapist not a psychologist as they will not prescribe meds, if you need any more help, Private message me and I will reply ASAP :smile:

yea thers something wrong with those drugs!

Original post by Wimbs
I would give the ADs a little more time as you can and sometimes get weird side effects with what many would regard as even mild medication. (Once I took Cloratidiene for hayfever, after 2 days on it I woke up and the room was spinning!, bloody scary!

If the symptroms persist ask for another antidepressant as Citalopram is at the more hardcore end as far as I know!

i see, damn some drugs are really crazy
feel like im stuck in SILENT HILL :frown:(((((
because this medication, let me tell you this its some trippy mind wrecking brain destroying ****, its absolutely insane. therapy - theres no way i can change my thought patterns.

I have been on psychiatric medication myself, some drugs will suit some and not others, just because one didn't suit you doesn't mean they are all bad. However it is true that they are not always needed, for example people with mild to moderate depression are unlikely to benefit from it.

With regards to therapy, I think it is highly unlikely that any therapy can change your thought patterns. Have you ever done therapy before? There other things you can do by yourself if you want to try and help your mental health, but like anything it takes commitment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullettheory
I have been on psychiatric medication myself, some drugs will suit some and not others, just because one didn't suit you doesn't mean they are all bad. However it is true that they are not always needed, for example people with mild to moderate depression are unlikely to benefit from it.

With regards to therapy, I think it is highly unlikely that any therapy can change your thought patterns. Have you ever done therapy before? There other things you can do by yourself if you want to try and help your mental health, but like anything it takes commitment

Posted from TSR Mobile

isn't that what therapy is about? changing the way you think? and no i haven't, I really hate the idea of therapy, not sure why
isn't that what therapy is about? changing the way you think? and no i haven't, I really hate the idea of therapy, not sure why

Sorry I made a mistake. What I meant is that, I believe that there is a therapy for everyone and that it can definitely help people change their thought patterns, no matter how stuck they may feel. Not all are about changing thought patterns though. Like DBT is about skills, EMDR is about coping with trauma, not all are about changing thoughts but some are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey anon it will take about two weeks for them to completely leave your system but if you have been taking them for longer than a week you should probably talk to your doctor, as coming off of them can seriously impact your health as they can present things like withdrawal symptoms, also remember that they can take up to a month to actually work properly and in the meantime they can actually make things worse, i was on citalopram and felt like they worked for a while before i was moved onto sertraline and im not sure how well thats going lol, but anyway about two weeks and if you have only taken them for a short amount of time then try to be patient before you give up on them, whilst medication isn't for everyone it can help short time whilst you are getting other support for things like counselling, if you ever feel suicidal and need someone to talk to call the Samaritans, they're 24hrs and unlike childline wont turn you away no matter your age
I know everybody is different physically and mentally but if I could give any one who's depressed advice it is DON'T TAKE CITALOPRAM or if you're having weird effects then get off it as soon as possible

I was prescribed that stuff when I was 12, was on it for few years and went absolutely insane. What started off as a bit of depression turned me into an attention seeking, yet severely anxious and self-harming maniac. I went literally crazy. I was a completely different person and didn't realise it. I dropped out of school and attempted suicide so many times, and almost succeeded once. Was in hospital for a week after using the stuff to OD. Now my life is better I cannot ever believe I was like that. But I'm sure it's ****ed me up for life.

You see, citalopram stops you thinking straight. 5 Years since I stopped taking them and I'm a shell of what I once was. My life is better and I don't suffer from depression anymore. However I can't feel anything deeply. I can't show emotion at all. I can't cry when I need to, I've cried twice maybe since I came off them. People take the piss that I always look miserable and I'm so apathetic, I'm also asexual - idk if that's related but I don't feel deeply for anymore. I'm just so desensitised.

Seriously, don't let some doctor blindly describe that stuff for you without you taking into the side effects - which i was never told it can make you WANT to commit suicide more. I seriously don't know how that stuffs legal.
I know everybody is different physically and mentally but if I could give any one who's depressed advice it is DON'T TAKE CITALOPRAM or if you're having weird effects then get off it as soon as possible

I was prescribed that stuff when I was 12, was on it for few years and went absolutely insane. What started off as a bit of depression turned me into an attention seeking, yet severely anxious and self-harming maniac. I went literally crazy. I was a completely different person and didn't realise it. I dropped out of school and attempted suicide so many times, and almost succeeded once. Was in hospital for a week after using the stuff to OD. Now my life is better I cannot ever believe I was like that. But I'm sure it's ****ed me up for life.

You see, citalopram stops you thinking straight. 5 Years since I stopped taking them and I'm a shell of what I once was. My life is better and I don't suffer from depression anymore. However I can't feel anything deeply. I can't show emotion at all. I can't cry when I need to, I've cried twice maybe since I came off them. People take the piss that I always look miserable and I'm so apathetic, I'm also asexual - idk if that's related but I don't feel deeply for anymore. I'm just so desensitised.

Seriously, don't let some doctor blindly describe that stuff for you without you taking into the side effects - which i was never told it can make you WANT to commit suicide more. I seriously don't know how that stuffs legal.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on citalopram, it does sound very difficult, and unfortunately, increased suicidal thoughts and self harm thoughts can be common, especially in young people. However I wouldn't advise everyone who is depressed not to take it, it can really help some people and help them get out of a depressive episode. Personally, I do feel that anti depressants are over prescribed, but they do seem to work for some people, so it's a balancing act really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest