The Student Room Group

Overrated bands/artists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teslamegafan
I believe it was Socrates who said everybody should be allowed an opinion but not all opinions are of equal value.
I am taking issue with the fact OP calls these bands overrated. No self respecting music reviewer would call either of these bands overrated and they have the authority/valid opinion in this case and I am definitely not arguing against them.

I don't think they are overrated. Should have added that.
Reply 61
I believe it was Socrates who said everybody should be allowed an opinion but not all opinions are of equal value.
I am taking issue with the fact OP calls these bands overrated. No self respecting music reviewer would call either of these bands overrated and they have the authority/valid opinion in this case and I am definitely not arguing against them.

But I definitely am.
This will be a very long list...

Taylor Swift
Britney Spears
Madonna
Kesha
Nicki Minaj
Lady Gaga
Demi Lovato
Carly Rae Jepsen
Foxes
Cheryl Cole
Adele
Lorde
Sia
Katy Perry
Beyonce
Rihanna
Marina and the Diamonds
Lana Del Rey
Halsey
Ryn Weaver
Nicole Scherzinger
St. Vincent
Grimes
Crystal Castles
Florence and The Machine
Ellie Goulding
Daughter
La Roux
Charli XCX
MSMR
Regina Spektor
Imogen Heap
Eminem
One Direction
Clean Bandit
Years & Years
The 1975
Two Door Cinema Club
Arctic Monkeys
The Beatles
Radiohead
Nirvana
The Smiths
The Neighbourhood
Hozier
Mika
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by driftawaay
But I definitely am.

Unfortunately your opinion on this matter does not supersede the authority of music reviewers and others closely associated with the music industry. You're fighting a losing battle, sorry :frown:
Reply 64
Original post by Asexual Demigod
This will be a very long list...

Taylor Swift
Britney Spears
Madonna
Kesha
Nicki Minaj
Lady GagaDemi Lovato
Carly Rae Jepsen
Foxes
Cheryl ColeAdele
Lorde
Sia
Katy Perry
Beyonce
Rihanna
Marina and the Diamonds
Lana Del Rey
Halsey
Ryn Weaver
Nicole Scherzinger
St. Vincent
Grimes
Crystal Castles
Florence and The Machine
Ellie Goulding
Daughter
La Roux
Charli XCX
MSMR
Regina Spektor
Imogen Heap
Eminem
One Direction
Years & Years
The 1975
Two Door Cinema Club
Arctic Monkeys
The Beatles
Radiohead
Nirvana
The Smiths
The Neighbourhood
Hozier
Mika

Lol most of those are like contemporary pop artists though. Most of them are overrated or do not deserve any success at all, I am talking more about artists that have had decades long careers and are considered to be of legendary status
Reply 65
Unfortunately your opinion on this matter does not supersede the authority of music reviewers and others closely associated with the music industry. You're fighting a losing battle, sorry :frown:

Music reviewers are just people who like to listen to music like anybody else. Nobody is entitled to agree that x artists are good just because reviewers like them There are lots of albums that reviewers praise and then lots of people find them **** as hell. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion, people like different sorts of music. I am sorry if it bothers you so much that some people have their own thoughts instead of conforming to what others think. You stay happy being a sheep and I will stay happy having my own thoughts. If it bothers you that some people don't like the music you do then perhaps threads like this aren't the best for your blood pressure so do yourself a favor and go be PMS-y somewhere else.
Original post by Kiytt
>Pink Floyd overrated

Literally the pioneers of prog rock

Not everyone likes progressive rock.
Reply 67
who do you think is under rated then? Or successful but not over rated.

This is silly.
Original post by jamestg
Vampire weekend aren't even rated that highly, like still hardly anyone has heard of them and those who do know either A-Punk or/and one of their singles from their newest album.

They have over 2 million likes on their Facebook page...
blur are great, Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife have loads of catchy songs
Just to make clear I am the opposite of a sheep. I found these bands by myself. Oh and I think music reviewers, although not the perfect authority, know more than you. But you can like whatever you want to like. Not my problem.
Original post by driftawaay
Music reviewers are just people who like to listen to music like anybody else. Nobody is entitled to agree that x artists are good just because reviewers like them There are lots of albums that reviewers praise and then lots of people find them **** as hell. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion, people like different sorts of music. I am sorry if it bothers you so much that some people have their own thoughts instead of conforming to what others think. You stay happy being a sheep and I will stay happy having my own thoughts. If it bothers you that some people don't like the music you do then perhaps threads like this aren't the best for your blood pressure so do yourself a favor and go be PMS-y somewhere else.
hey but oasis are great, so all is forgiven
Reply 72
Original post by JD1lla
who do you think is under rated then? Or successful but not over rated.

This is silly.

I can't think of any underrated right now, most of my favorite artists are highly acclaimed and successful.

Why is it silly? I am just asking people what are some bands that are wildly successful but you cannot see the appeal.
Pop:

-Adele is only OK, not a national treasure/best current artist or whatever.

-Macklemore is too preachy.

-Taylor Swift's success relative to equally or more talented female pop artists is pretty much incomprehenisble.

-But not as incomprehensible as radio producers thinking that Fetty Wap's gimmick is worth more than one song

-The exact same applies to George Ezra and The 1975

Overrated classics I don't really know because I don't listen to classics that don't interest me. But this includes The Beatles, Radiohead, Queen and Coldplay

Also anyone reposting that gay **** about how some classic artist is so much more talented than Beyonce because of how many producers she uses compared to them and how amazing their lyrics are compared to asking who runs the world. Newsflash: whichever lyrics you're quoting are actually meaningless and ****.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
They have over 2 million likes on their Facebook page...

Likes don't really equate to fans, and most of their listeners are from the US. There's a reason why they've only come to the UK/Europe a couple of times. They haven't even toured the small O2 academy venues since 2010...
Reply 75
Just to make clear I am the opposite of a sheep. I found these bands by myself. Oh and I think music reviewers, although not the perfect authority, know more than you. But you can like whatever you want to like. Not my problem.

There is no such thing as 'know more than' or 'know less than' when it comes to music, you listen to something and you like it or you don't. It has nothing to do with 'knowing' anything.

But congratulations on finding these bands by yourself, must have been hard to track them down with a GPS on the other side of the Atlantic.
Taylor Swift, omfg I am sick of hearing about her all the time.
Reply 77
Original post by jamestg
Likes don't really equate to fans, and most of their listeners are from the US. There's a reason why they've only come to the UK/Europe a couple of times. They haven't even toured the small O2 academy venues since 2010...

Still, having 2 million likes is a lot considering over 99% of bands in the world don't even have 1/3 of their success. :tongue:
Radiohead and Nirvana are probably my top picks. If you are an oasis fan then I'm sure you'll enjoy Noel's recent comments regarding Radiohead.
Reply 79
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Radiohead and Nirvana are probably my top picks. If you are an oasis fan then I'm sure you'll enjoy Noel's recent comments regarding Radiohead.

haha I love Noel's rants. I actually LOVE LOVE LOVE Noel's band, the High Flying Birds, the album they released this year is my #1 album this year. It's just ridiculously good. I like Oasis as well but I'm not a big fan or anything.

And I don't like Nirvana at all. That's another overrated on my list. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest