The Student Room Group

Overrated bands/artists

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Not everyone likes progressive rock.

This is a thread about overrated bands/artists, not dislikeable genres.

I'm not sure how you can overrate a founding father of one of the most celebrated subgenres of rock, even if it's not your taste.
Reply 81
Adele
Original post by driftawaay
There is no such thing as 'know more than' or 'know less than' when it comes to music, you listen to something and you like it or you don't. It has nothing to do with 'knowing' anything.

But congratulations on finding these bands by yourself, must have been hard to track them down with a GPS on the other side of the Atlantic.

Ignoring your clear sarcasm to state that some music does not have more inherent value than other music just demonstrates your ignorance.
Pixies > Nirvana

I like Nirvana but Pixies... just better.
Reply 84
Original post by SmashConcept

Queen

Oh no you didn't

I live and breathe Queen :redface:
Original post by AzimH
Adele

:five:
2Pac and Biggie.
One direction. Also not a band but Adele - her new song makes me ****ing throw up every time it's on the radio
Reply 88
I can't think of any underrated right now, most of my favorite artists are highly acclaimed and successful.

Why is it silly? I am just asking people what are some bands that are wildly successful but you cannot see the appeal.

People are listing bands/artists that aren't wildy successful though. If you can't see the appeal or understand why a band/artist is so successful, perhaps it's because you don't know the more intricate details of music, or the historical context of the music at the time of it's inception.

Driftawaay darling, the beatles? pink floyd? stop it now
Reply 89
Original post by Teslamegafan
Ignoring your clear sarcasm to state that some music does not have more inherent value than other music just demonstrates your ignorance.

Cool story, but really, do you have to bleed on my thread? :frown: We're all having a fun discussion here and you are being *****. Nobody likes negative nancies.
Here, grab a tampon + some painkillers

Original post by kkboyk
-Arctic Monkeys
-The Strokes (reptilia and hard to explain are the only good songs, imo)
-Vampire Weekends.
-The 1975
-The Neighbourhood
-Two door cinema club (they went downhill after they became really popular)
-Ed Sheeran
-Passenger
-Coldplay
-Muse
-Adele
-Clean Bandit

Oh and every mainstream rappers nowadays are overrated, to the point that its not worth for me to mention their names on the bullet point.

Vampire weekend and two door cinema club are my favourite bands 5 ever :'( I agree with everything else
Not sure how I forgot Queen
Reply 92
Original post by CoolCavy
:five:

Would have repped you but can't my friend :frown:

I just don't get what's all the fuss about her though. Her songs make me want to kill myself- it's so depressing.

I love to listen to a mixture of songs but mainly Ellie Goulding, Maroon 5 (How can people say they are overrated??) Fall out boy, Imagine dragon, Galantis etc. Wbu? :smile:
Original post by rhiannonm25
Vampire weekend and two door cinema club are my favourite bands 5 ever :'( I agree with everything else

All those types of indie bands sound the same..
Reply 94
Original post by JD1lla
People are listing bands/artists that aren't wildy successful though. If you can't see the appeal or understand why a band/artist is so successful, perhaps it's because you don't know the more intricate details of music, or the historical context of the music at the time of it's inception.

Driftawaay darling, the beatles? pink floyd? stop it now

OK so people who don't understand why Taylor Swift is so successful, it's because they don't understand the historical context or music or is it just because they think she is **** and can't really understand how anyone can sit down and listen to that and buy them and obsess over it? I think the latter.

I don't care about the context or the intricate details of Pink Floyd, I have listened to them and I don't like listening to them. That's it.
Cool story, but really, do you have to bleed on my thread? :frown: We're all having a fun discussion here and you are being *****. Nobody likes negative nancies.
Here, grab a tampon + some painkillers

Freedom of speech, right? Sorry truth hurts :laugh:
Original post by IamJacksContempt
All those types of indie bands sound the same..

That's why I listen to a whole load of other genres :smile:, vampire weekend and tdcc have a completely different vibe in my opinion..
Original post by Asexual Demigod
This will be a very long list...

Taylor Swift
Britney Spears
Madonna
Kesha
Nicki Minaj
Lady Gaga
Demi Lovato
Carly Rae Jepsen
Foxes
Cheryl Cole
Adele
Lorde
Sia
Katy Perry
Beyonce
Rihanna
Marina and the Diamonds
Lana Del Rey
Halsey
Ryn Weaver
Nicole Scherzinger
St. Vincent
Grimes
Crystal Castles
Florence and The Machine
Ellie Goulding
Daughter
La Roux
Charli XCX
MSMR
Regina Spektor
Imogen Heap
Eminem
One Direction
Clean Bandit
Years & Years
The 1975
Two Door Cinema Club
Arctic Monkeys
The Beatles
Radiohead
Nirvana
The Smiths
The Neighbourhood
Hozier
Mika

Sia is pretty underrated imo
Whoever has said Nirvana.... So dissapointed in you..
Reply 99
Original post by Teslamegafan
Freedom of speech, right? Sorry truth hurts :laugh:

Freedom of speech also extends to me telling you to insert that tampon. Sorry I know how those cramps hurt

Quick Reply

Latest