The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheArtofProtest
And what claims did I make?

These ones

I have made assertions, which are derived from the observations of the actions and speech of those who claim not to be racists yet in their arguments, point to specific colours or ethnicities as justification for their attack on an ideology which has more to do with the colour of the skin, as opposed to having any grounding in the ideology.
Original post by i<3milkshake
The thing is that when people concentrate in areas it massively skews the stats. Combine that with the birth rate and yes it is a much bigger number.

Perspective has to be gained though-I mean 5% nationally isn't too bad. I mean how many Brits are in Dubai?

The problem isn't the numbers-the problem is the way that some cultures do not integrate or respect the laws. If this changed 5% wouldn't bother me at all.

In Dubai British people don't drink in public, dress how the host nation would, etc.
In the UK foreign people can wear a Burkha (face to face communication is important in our culture) and generally act however they please, setting up schools that preach views abhorrent in the actual host country (Trojan Horse), etc.

Many British people do respect the laws of the country in which they are residing, as do most citizens from around the world.

It is disingenuous to equate traditions and values with what is lawful and what is illegal.
Original post by BaconandSauce
These ones

Did you know that my reference to Islamophobia was dependent on:

a) The poster claiming that they were not racist for being against an ideology and,
b) The poster having made a specific type of comment.

These examples that I have given are littered throughout the thread and relate to specific people who engage in specific behaviors with specific consequences.

Am I talking about a specific kind of Islamaphobia? Yes.

I didn't make any kind of claim, rather, I merely concluded from an observation.

As such, I am merely confused that you would somehow find a "claim"...
Reply 443
Did you know that my reference to Islamophobia was dependent on:

a) The poster claiming that they were not racist for being against an ideology and,
b) The poster having made a specific type of comment.

These examples that I have given are littered throughout the thread and relate to specific people who engage in specific behaviors with specific consequences.

Am I talking about a specific kind of Islamaphobia? Yes.

I didn't make any kind of claim, rather, I merely concluded from an observation.

As such, I am merely confused that you would somehow find a "claim"...
So, am I a racist or merely critical of Islamic ideology?
Original post by QE2
So, am I a racist or merely critical of Islamic ideology?

I haven't come across any of your posts detailing your view on the subject so I couldn't comment.
Reply 445
I haven't come across any of your posts detailing your view on the subject so I couldn't comment.
But you have branded "Islamophobia" as nothing more than a mask for racism.
You have claimed that most critics of Islam are merely racists, using ideology as a pretence for their bigotry.

So, don't be shy...or am I one of "the few"?
Original post by QE2
But you have branded "Islamophobia" as nothing more than a mask for racism.
You have claimed that most critics of Islam are merely racists, using ideology as a pretence for their bigotry.

So, don't be shy...or am I one of "the few"?

I refer you to this post.

And as I stated in my previous post, I have yet to come across any post which puts forward your views on the issue at hand.

I can only apologise if you were under the assumption, mistaken of course, that I have the time to regularly follow you or your posts.
Reply 447
I refer you to this post.
Ah yes, the specific type poster that you have yet to show any evidence of on here.

The thing is, Anyone who said things like "Muslims should go back to Pakistan" or "All Muslims are terrorists" are not just criticising an ideology, and demonstrably so. Therefore they can legitimately be labelled as xenophobes and racists.
Your position is internally contradictary.

I can only apologise if you were under the assumption, mistaken of course, that I have the time to regularly follow you or your posts.
Well, you've certainly replied to plenty!
Original post by QE2
Ah yes, the specific type poster that you have yet to show any evidence of on here.

The thing is, Anyone who said things like "Muslims should go back to Pakistan" or "All Muslims are terrorists" are not just criticising an ideology, and demonstrably so. Therefore they can legitimately be labelled as xenophobes and racists.
Your position is internally contradictary.

Well, you've certainly replied to plenty!

What have I stated that is different to what you have just said, within the specific parameters that I stated it in?
Reply 449
What have I stated that is different to what you have just said, within the specific parameters that I stated it in?
You claimed that Islamophobia is the same as racism and that people who criticise the ideology are only claiming to do so to mask their racism.

Most Islamaphobia is targeted towards people who are brown, in the mistaken assumption that brown = Muslim, as perpetuated by the media.

Most people who attack Muslims or those they perceive to be Muslims through the colour of their skin are actually racists. Most of the time, it has nothing to do with political Islam, but just another guise to let out the racist in you, and then trying to justify it by saying that you are against political Islam.

(That is just xenophobia and racism) Yet people like you would record it as Islamaphobia, as opposed to racism because Islamaphobia seems to be more acceptable as it doesn't possess the same negative connotations as racism. (Note the the other poster specifically labelled it as xenophobia and racism, NOT Islamophibia!)

The ones that try to cover their inherent racism through attacks on what they consider political Islam, but it's merely an excuse to bash some people who are not white.

Those who try and quibble over the fact that Islam is not a race do so in a deliberate attempt to mitigate, mask and explain away their own inherent racism.
I get the impression that you hadn't really thought out your position before stating it, just that you hoped it would appear appropriately left-wing and right-on.

However, on closer inspection, you just seem to have confused yourself.
Original post by QE2
You claimed that Islamophobia is the same as racism and that people who criticise the ideology are only claiming to do so to mask their racism.

I get the impression that you hadn't really thought out your position before stating it, just that you hoped it would appear appropriately left-wing and right-on.

However, on closer inspection, you just seem to have confused yourself.

To me, the term "most" actually means something. Perhaps it doesn't mean anything to you? (Even though i started my post off with it).

To me, the context seems to be about racism. Maybe you didn't get the context? (Even though it was mentioned at least 7 times in 5 paragraphs).

To me, it looks like I would said I would accurately record such "Islamophobic" comments as racist comments. Perhaps you disagree? (Even though you agree with me).

To me, I was referring explicitly to those who try and negate their indirect racism by saying "You can't be racist towards an ideology". Perhaps you had stopped reading? (Even though you quoted me around 5 times, with duplicated messages in each post).

Now, your modus operandi may be to engage in constant duplication but I try my hardest not to. But you are making it very difficult to me and I simply don't know how I can explain it to you other than what I have already said.

At this moment in time, I simply give up. I get the impression that you want me to call you a racist and a xenophobe, because apparently you regard yourself as a "critic of Islam" (I have no interest in whether you are or are not), and regardless of the substance of your argument, you want to be vindicated in some preconceived notion that people want to stop you making your arguments by branding you a racist and a xenophobe, terms which you feel do not apply to you.
Many British people do respect the laws of the country in which they are residing, as do most citizens from around the world.

It is disingenuous to equate traditions and values with what is lawful and what is illegal.

Do you realise how much you're stretching?
Original post by billydisco
Do you realise how much you're stretching?

There's a fine line between what is legal and what is illegal.

You believe that there should be a gulf, a kind of "grey area", where dubious values and traditions reside, not a legal requirement but more a kind of social stigmatization if not adhered to.

It's not me that's "stretching".
There's a fine line between what is legal and what is illegal.

You believe that there should be a gulf, a kind of "grey area", where dubious values and traditions reside, not a legal requirement but more a kind of social stigmatization if not adhered to.

It's not me that's "stretching".

Saying a particular religion which spreads across the world, failing to respect the cultures of the host country AND force the host country accept their way of life is similar to British people around the world is stretching. Sorry mate but we're not comparing with British tourists in Ibiza!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
Saying a particular religion which spreads across the world, failing to respect the cultures of the host country AND force the host country accept their way of life is similar to British people around the world is stretching. Sorry mate but we're not comparing with British tourists in Ibiza!

My point of contention is not with the substance of the values or traditions per se, but rather, your advocation for those values or traditions to be transformed into a tool which would facilitate legal redress for failing to adhere to them.
yes, well the government thinks it's the best thing possible right now to import as many muslims as possible, especially after the "refugee" "crisis"
Reply 456
To me, the term "most" actually means something. Perhaps it doesn't mean anything to you? (Even though i started my post off with it).

To me, the context seems to be about racism. Maybe you didn't get the context? (Even though it was mentioned at least 7 times in 5 paragraphs).

To me, it looks like I would said I would accurately record such "Islamophobic" comments as racist comments. Perhaps you disagree? (Even though you agree with me).

To me, I was referring explicitly to those who try and negate their indirect racism by saying "You can't be racist towards an ideology". Perhaps you had stopped reading? (Even though you quoted me around 5 times, with duplicated messages in each post).

Now, your modus operandi may be to engage in constant duplication but I try my hardest not to. But you are making it very difficult to me and I simply don't know how I can explain it to you other than what I have already said.

At this moment in time, I simply give up. I get the impression that you want me to call you a racist and a xenophobe, because apparently you regard yourself as a "critic of Islam" (I have no interest in whether you are or are not), and regardless of the substance of your argument, you want to be vindicated in some preconceived notion that people want to stop you making your arguments by branding you a racist and a xenophobe, terms which you feel do not apply to you.
The more you write, the less sense you make. You don't know Brother Ash92, do you?
Original post by QE2
The more you write, the less sense you make. You don't know Brother Ash92, do you?

I apologise for the patronising and condescending tone that was present in my previous post.

In my defence, I felt that the situation warranted it.
Original post by QE2

Or the user ermmXX
Reply 459
I apologise for the patronising and condescending tone that was present in my previous post.

In my defence, I felt that the situation warranted it.
Were you trying to sound patronising and condescending? Sorry, I hadn't realised.

Latest