The Student Room Group

Not enough is done for disabled students.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
You'd need a laptop whether you were disabled or not.

So shouldn't DSA/SF provide one to all students with learnging difficulties? Free of charge.
Quite. If you weren't disabled, you'd have to pay full price for a laptop. The idea of DSA is to put you on a level playing field with non-disabled students. Not to give you an advantage.

I am poor student too with no ability to pay for equipment either. If I got 200£ laptop I'd be overjoyed, but I have no complaints, because I am no expection either, there is no reason I should be granted free laptop either. I don't still understand how do disabilities link into economical competence. I think economical assistance for equipment should be given if person cannot otherwise afford it, if anyone at all. Otherwise not.

Then again I do think disabled students should get additional teaching and support they need.

OP sounds just greedy thou.
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
So shouldn't DSA/SF provide one to all students with learnging difficulties? Free of charge.

You're not listening are you? If you weren't disabled, you'd have to pay full price for a laptop. Why should you, as a student with a disability, get a free laptop? That would put you at an advantage. SFE / DSA pay for the extra costs you have as a disabled student.
Because I have more disabilities than other people, and I consider that I would benefit from it more than others. Also I suggested that everyone with learnding difficulties/disbalities should get it free. Not just myself.

If laptop is needed for studies then all people need it, no matter if they are disabled or not.

I disagree that you can make a statement about how much an individual would benefit from a laptop. You don't know to what extend other people could use it because you are not them.
Original post by Emilia1320
If laptop is needed for studies then all people need it, no matter if they are disabled or not.

I disagree that you can make a statement about how much an individual would benefit from a laptop. You don't know to what extend other people could use it because you are not them.

Ok valid point.

I am poor student too with no ability to pay for equipment either. If I got 200£ laptop I'd be overjoyed, but I have no complaints, because I am no expection either, there is no reason I should be granted free laptop either. I don't still understand how do disabilities link into economical competence. I think economical assistance for equipment should be given if person cannot otherwise afford it, if anyone at all. Otherwise not.

Then again I do think disabled students should get additional teaching and support they need.

OP sounds just greedy thou.

Wow okay.

Greedy for trying to put one's self in a better position. Alright mate.

You're not listening are you? If you weren't disabled, you'd have to pay full price for a laptop. Why should you, as a student with a disability, get a free laptop? That would put you at an advantage. SFE / DSA pay for the extra costs you have as a disabled student.

Okay I see what you are saying.

But do you think that there is sufficient help in place for said people.
Ok valid point.

Wow okay.

Greedy for trying to put one's self in a better position. Alright mate.

Okay I see what you are saying.

But do you think that there is sufficient help in place for said people.

Its justifiable that you want to get paraller to other students. However as stated above your subjective analysis about you needing laptop more than others isnt reason enough.

Additional support from teacher and extra time could be justifiable. That you would be given equipment for free isnt. Discount is questionable too in my opinion, but could be reasonable if one can prove they really need computer for studies and cannot do without by any method.
Its justifiable that you want to get paraller to other students. However as stated above your subjective analysis about you needing laptop more than others isnt reason enough.

Additional support from teacher and extra time could be justifiable. That you would be given equipment for free isnt. Discount is questionable too in my opinion, but could be reasonable if one can prove they really need computer for studies and cannot do without by any method.

I see what you mean, what about giving it on a need-basis, as in poorer students entitled to more?
I see what you mean, what about giving it on a need-basis, as in poorer students entitled to more?

That has nothing to do with disability though. You'd be in the same situation if you weren't a disabled student. And surely if you were that poor, you'd be receiving benefits of some sort.
That has nothing to do with disability though. You'd be in the same situation if you weren't a disabled student. And surely if you were that poor, you'd be receiving benefits of some sort.

I meant poor as in poor and disabled, or at least poorer than other disblaed studnets.

Poor students yeah, were they disabled or not, + if disables student needs some extra equipment then maybe for the extra equipment (I don't meant ordinary study stuff but for example books on dot writing)
Poor students yeah, were they disabled or not, + if disables student needs some extra equipment then maybe for the extra equipment (I don't meant ordinary study stuff but for example books on dot writing)

do you have a livescribe pen? Or have you used one?
do you have a livescribe pen? Or have you used one?

No, I have no money for such. Hell, if I can't afford a laptop how could I afford such a thing. May I ask why it's absolutely necessary to have livescribe and normal notebook is not fine?
No, I have no money for such. Hell, if I can't afford a laptop how could I afford such a thing. May I ask why it's absolutely necessary to have livescribe and normal notebook is not fine?

I thought you were at uni level?

My friend got one from his meeting, heard they were dencent.

idk, I write my notes on paper.
I thought you were at uni level?

My friend got one from his meeting, heard they were dencent.

idk, I write my notes on paper.

Nah, international baccalaureate. What I've seen those they seemed rather expensive but maybe prices have decreased.

My school is one of those progressive one's that promote use of technology, that's why we need computers.
When I got my laptop was when DSA used to pay the whole cost of it (3 years ago). I felt really guilty but they told me that it was because other students could go and use library computers if they needed whereas I couldn't access the library when I needed due to my mental health problems. Not saying this applies to everyone though and I do think it's fair enough to contribute some of the costs these days. In the past they used to give laptops out to anyone getting DSA as far as I could see.
Original post by Jenx301
When I got my laptop was when DSA used to pay the whole cost of it (3 years ago). I felt really guilty but they told me that it was because other students could go and use library computers if they needed whereas I couldn't access the library when I needed due to my mental health problems. Not saying this applies to everyone though and I do think it's fair enough to contribute some of the costs these days. In the past they used to give laptops out to anyone getting DSA as far as I could see.

Yes. I got my laptop 4 years ago from DSA and the theory was that it meant I could work in bed on days that I couldn't leave it. Whereas other students could go to the library or a computer room to do their work. It also had all the extra software I was given on it. But I think it does make sense that students contribute. I don't think I've spoken to any student who doesn't have a laptop or PC because so much studying happens via a computer. Yes, it's possible to not own a computer as a student - it's just not practical for anyone.
You're a wee bit misinformed here, in the US when sitting exams like SATs they do have different extra time allowances such as time and a half or double time but the allocation of these is reliant on the persons disability causing them to work more slowly than others. This does not mean someone with ADHD would instantly get time and a half. It means someone with adhd who has poor working memory, low processing speed or poor concentration could apply for these based on how severely they are affected.

Secondly if you did not have any disabilities you would still be required to purchase a laptop for university, DSA is there to cover costs that are caused by your disability that non-disabled students would not have to pay so yes, in an economy where funding bodies are facing cuts constantly , you are asked to pay £200 towards your new laptop, and to pay for upgrades if you want a better one. These are the sort of cost's your student loans are for, we live in a time where laptops and computers are essential for any student not just those with disabilities.

Lastly you sound very much like you are looking down upon those with ADHD who receive help at university? Perhaps you are one of those "ADHD is not a real disorder" people but regardless of that your attitude stinks, the £200 you pay to help fund your laptop could free up funds to pay for one to one assistance for someone with mobility problems in uni, or a couple hours of one to one tutoring for someone with autism.

I agree there should be more individualized help at uni and that the system needs fixing but you just sound like an over entitled brat. DSA is there to level the playing field so that those with disabilities, many people are so grateful for what they get on DSA and your just sitting there complaining that you want more. "People with ADHD get this but I only get this" get over yourself. I agree with what others are saying, if you were asking for extra assistance with studying or notes that would be fair enough but your main complaint seems to be about paying £200 for a laptop that would cost anyone else a lot more.

Reading problems, bad handwriting, interacting, following instructions, sthort term memroy etc.

People are missing this!? Sounds like you'd be a terrible student anyway. You've listed problems which suggest just about all kinds of learning are difficult for you.

No laptop, even if it were a quantum computing monster (which don't exist yet), would not help this stuff out.
Original post by FireGarden
People are missing this!? Sounds like you'd be a terrible student anyway. You've listed problems which suggest just about all kinds of learning are difficult for you.

No laptop, even if it were a quantum computing monster (which don't exist yet), would not help this stuff out.

tl;dr also I am a better student than most people.
modest too....

Quick Reply

Latest