The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Awful?

You cannot be serious, as I have seen terrible comments.

They do not have a significant amount presence to complain, as seeing a straight couple is a normal thing that every tsr member has seen at some point.

During the last decade, pro homosexuality has gained a momentum

Well I do see myself as a great representative of not just tsr, but British people and values.

I have nothing against gays, but they just need to accept some home truths'

So do nit paint me as the villain, my dear.

1) Being gay is also normal, they're just a minority when compared to straight people. This DOES NOT MEAN the majority gets to quash a love that only a minority of people feel.

2) Also, no, it wasn't 'during the last decade'. People have been fighting for gay rights for decades.

3) You're a representative of douchebaggery.
Original post by Danz123
1) Being gay is also normal, they're just a minority when compared to straight people. This DOES NOT MEAN the majority gets to quash a love that only a minority of people feel.

2) Also, no, it wasn't 'during the last decade'. People have been fighting for gay rights for decades.

3) You're a representative of douchebaggery.

Normal constitutes to an act or behavior that is being practiced by the masses of the populous, so do you really want to go there?
Yes, fighting, but to what avail?
Why are celebrities still coming out then?Why do we not have openly gay people being advertised in billboards?
Exactly, as homosexuality has not really been embraced since the early 2000s.
gain, enough of the insults, please!
Normal constitutes to an act or behavior that is being practiced by the masses of the populous, so do you really want to go there?
Why are celebrities still coming out then?Why do we not have openly gay people being advertised in billboards?

No, normality is a very hard concept to define and is influenced by social norms and what is expected of them by society. Societal standards and norms when it comes to the UK have been changing, and now the LGBT+ community is much more widely accepted. Along with their acceptance, social norms have changed. Therefore, one's behaviour when it comes to their sexuality (i.e. getting a boyfriend if one is gay) has become much more normalised.

You act as though the fight for gay rights has not made any traction, then you disprove that in your last sentence by saying homosexuality has been more embraced in the last decade. The point of carrying on fighting is to end the culture of homophobia in our society, not to just stop at legal rights. Progress has been made, but there is more to be done, especially when it comes to third world countries such as Uganda where one can be executed for being gay.

Plenty of gay people are advertised on billboards.

I can't believe you're actually saying the fight is virtually meaningless. Do you not think people said the same with the race issue decades ago? You are the epitome of prejudice.
If he was like under 10 and just messing around then sure. If he was older then certainly not, my son will be brought up knowing that he's a man and none of this 'wrong body' confusion.
Original post by ivybridge
Plenty of gay people are advertised on billboards.

I can't believe you're actually saying the fight is virtually meaningless. Do you not think people said the same with the race issue decades ago? You are the epitome of prejudice.

But you cannot even add race and sexuality in the same sentence, as race is whole different subject.
Well the movement has not really done much for gays outside of Europe and america, in fact it is almost a parody of the original movement.
You will notice that nearly every member of tsr has a level prejudice.
Original post by Danz123
No, normality is a very hard concept to define and is influenced by social norms and what is expected of them by society. Societal standards and norms when it comes to the UK have been changing, and now the LGBT+ community is much more widely accepted. Along with their acceptance, social norms have changed. Therefore, one's behaviour when it comes to their sexuality (i.e. getting a boyfriend if one is gay) has become much more normalised.

You act as though the fight for gay rights has not made any traction, then you disprove that in your last sentence by saying homosexuality has been more embraced in the last decade. The point of carrying on fighting is to end the culture of homophobia in our society, not to just stop at legal rights. Progress has been made, but there is more to be done, especially when it comes to third world countries such as Uganda where one can be executed for being gay.

Yes outside of western territory it simply has not.
Though harsh, I respect the Ugandan people for sticking in what they believe in and not bowing down to the pressures of America.
But you cannot even add race and sexuality in the same sentence, as race is whole different subject.
Well the movement has not really done much for gays outside of Europe and america, in fact it is almost a parody of the original movement.
You will notice that nearly every member of tsr has a level prejudice.

They are both fights for justice, rights and the eradication of discrimmination. You can put them in the same basket. Both are not within the person's control.

The movement isn't universal you dickhead. Every country is different, even within the EU.

You will eventually notice you're an arrogant little **** who thinks he can speak for an entire forum.
(edited 8 years ago)
Though harsh, I respect the Ugandan people for sticking in what they believe in and not bowing down to the pressures of America.

You are demented, I swear.
Original post by Rakas21
If he was like under 10 and just messing around then sure. If he was older then certainly not, my son will be brought up knowing that he's a man and none of this 'wrong body' confusion.

It will only be "this 'wrong body' confusion" if you make it that.

Yes but even that is changing bit by bit with protests and the like, even in Uganda there is opposition to the legislation.

'Though harsh'? So you respect them for killing people based on their sexuality? I thought you said you didn't hate gay people? If you think killing them is a bit harsh but whatevs, then you are extremely homophobic.
Reply 451
no one is normal
They are both fights for justice, rights and the eradication of discrimmination. You can put them in the same basket. Both are not within the person's control.

The movement isn't universal you dickhead. Every country is different, even within the EU.

You will eventually notice you're an arrogant little **** who thinks he can speak for an entire forum.

But what good is it,if it is not universal?
I am aware that every country has its social barriers, but that cannot still stop a movement, when the people can identity with the movement and if the celebrities of the movement can be a voice for those who cannot speak out.
I mean hello, we live in the age of social media, and you have the nerve to call me a dickhead.
Original post by Danz123
Yes but even that is changing bit by bit with protests and the like, even in Uganda there is opposition to the legislation.

'Though harsh'? So you respect them for killing people based on their sexuality? I thought you said you didn't hate gay people? If you think killing them is a bit harsh but whatevs, then you are extremely homophobic.

No, I respect them for sticking to their believes, whilst facing the pressures and backlash form the west.
The free peoples should have a right to decide in what is acceptable and what is not.
But I do in no way condone irrational contempt and harm towards people who have done no harm to others.
But what good is it,if it is not universal?
I am aware that every country has its social barriers, but that cannot still stop a movement, when the people can identity with the movement and if the celebrities of the movement can be a voice for those who cannot speak out.
I mean hello, we live in the age of social media, and you have the nerve to call me a dickhead.

Could you be any more dopey - "what good is it if it isn't universal"? VERY. Nothing ever begins with the whole world doing the same thing. No movement is completely universally applicable and if you know countries have different social barriers your point is ****ing stupid.

Celebrities do speak out all the time on gay rights:

Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Tom Felton, Josh Hutcherson, Anne Hathaway, Oprah Winfrey, Ellen Degeneres, Macklemore, Kim Kardashian, Caitlyn Jenner, Sia, Kate Winslet, David Tennant, need I continue?
Original post by K.C
no one is normal

I disagree, as we are taught to be socially normal, we live normal lives, we eat normal food., we engage in normal practices.
We are socially normal,as rarely will you see a person going against the norms without seeking attention.
Reply 456
I disagree, as we are taught to be socially normal, we live normal lives, we eat normal food., we engage in normal practices.
We are socially normal,as rarely will you see a person going against the norms without seeking attention.

Normal would imply that we all follow the same traditions, the same culture, the same values which we definitely do not. Homosexuality has been going on for centuries, it's more normal than a man bun...hehe.

(I have no idea if you guys are talking about homosexuality so if you're not I'll just escape via my escape pod)
Could you be any more dopey - "what good is it if it isn't universal"? VERY. Nothing ever begins with the whole world doing the same thing. No movement is completely universally applicable and if you know countries have different social barriers your point is ****ing stupid.

Celebrities do speak out all the time on gay rights:

Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Tom Felton, Josh Hutcherson, Anne Hathaway, Oprah Winfrey, Ellen Degeneres, Macklemore, Kim Kardashian, Caitlyn Jenner, Sia, Kate Winslet, David Tennant, need I continue?

But didn't the movement gain momentum during the early 1990s?
Is it not a widespread movement that was made to harbor up different types of people from all walks of life, as the rainbow symbolism would hint that?
The lgbt movement is probably one of the most recognized and universal movements of all time.
But also during the time frame from the origin of the movement to the present, it would have transcended and would have been more universal during the recent advancement of tech and media.
But do they speak up for gays in Uganda, Russia etc?
Original post by K.C
Normal would imply that we all follow the same traditions, the same culture, the same values which we definitely do not. Homosexuality has been going on for centuries, it's more normal than a man bun...hehe.

(I have no idea if you guys are talking about homosexuality so if you're not I'll just escape via my escape pod)

Good point.
No, I respect them for sticking to their believes, whilst facing the pressures and backlash form the west.
The free peoples should have a right to decide in what is acceptable and what is not.
But I do in no way condone irrational contempt and harm towards people who have done no harm to others.

Why say something like that when the particular belief we're talking about here is one where gay people are EXECUTED just for being gay? Now, I understand these countries are sovereign, however their right to believe whatever does NOT extend toward enforcing laws which harm others for no reason. They're not trying to implement justice here, they're just killing people they don't like.

If you don't condone it you shouldn't respect it or call it harsh then commend those doing it because they're 'not bowing down to pressure.' If they were ANY kind of moral individuals, they wouldn't kill people based on factors outside their control.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest