The Student Room Group

Overrated bands/artists

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by driftawaay
Take zero because I don't need another PMS-y little girls acting preachy. If you don't like the thread, don't post, simple as that. This isn't a musical theory class in here.

Is requesting that you base your opinion off objective reasoning "preaching"? I also never said I disliked the thread. I would suggest you do take a musical theory class or two, however, as it may help you to overcome your misunderstanding.
Original post by Kiytt
Is requesting that you base your opinion off objective reasoning "preaching"? I also never said I disliked the thread. I would suggest you do take a musical theory class or two, however, as it may help you to overcome your misunderstanding.

And I suggest you go and have a fap and take out your frustration on someone else. Ignore listed.
Reply 122
And I suggest you go and have a fap and take out your frustration on someone else. Ignore listed.

You've still not addressed my criticism, other than trying to deflect it by flinging ad hominems and continuous damage control.

Anyhow, it's nice to know your opinions are invalidated.
Slipknot are pretty overrated.
Oh I have listened to every single Beatles and Rolling Stones album, I have tried SO hard to like them because I know they are those bands that just HAVE to be loved... but no, I don't feel anything when I listen to them. Sometimes I put on Hey Jude but that's all. LMAO. I can only listen to the Elton John version of Lucy in the sky with diamonds. :colonhash:

...I mean that's just your personal taste being different to most people's. It doesn't make them over-rated.
Ngl Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours' probably makes it into my top 5 all time favourite albums... Just putting it out there. But I think most modern day pop music is overrated generic sh*t
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Perhaps I should qualify here. It depends on how broad "one of the best" is meant. I would say he has been very influential, has obvious talent, and has written and played some great stuff. But many will say he's second to Hendrix and stuff like that and I haven't heard him play anything to convince me of that. In general the artists I listed I haven't heard loads of because I didn't particularly like most of what I heard at first, so I'm open to being shown some super mind-blowing Clapton stuff. But chill out; I'm not attacking Clapton's ability, I just don't tend to find his guitar playing or music in general enthralling.

Cool, cool. Nah, I'm just being a dick, really. I rate Clapton and think his stuff with Cream is some of the best from anyone of that era, potentially some of the best ever. I think a lot of it is to do with context though; he was mind blowing back in those days and helped lay the ground work for some of the more modern greats.
Been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three times, brah! Badman!

But yeah, as I say, I was just being a dick. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Original post by Wilfred Little
2Pac and Biggie.

No.
I don't listen to most of UK bands. IMHO Breaking Benjamin should be played here in UK.. I used to like Linkin park.. well still do but the old linkin park.. Have nothing against Disturbed. I wonder if they would be popular among Brits
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
To be honest my opinion on them is not very informed; I haven't heard them in ages, they just came to mind. I hear a lot of people ripping on Muse and Coldplay to be honest but yeah they are overrated in general. The Rolling Stones however seem a bit boring for a band labelled one of the most important and best ever..

Completely agree. I have no issues with the Rolling Stones' longevity - they have played live for decades so fair play to them - but they deserve to be nowhere near the Beatles in terms of ratings.
Original post by keromedic
Slipknot are pretty overrated.

Really? I never got the sense that they were overly popular in the first place somehow. I actually only know one person who ever told me they're a fan. I never hear them on the radio either. Tbh I dont think most people these days know who they are lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 131
OK so people who don't understand why Taylor Swift is so successful, it's because they don't understand the historical context or music or is it just because they think she is **** and can't really understand how anyone can sit down and listen to that and buy them and obsess over it? I think the latter.

I don't care about the context or the intricate details of Pink Floyd, I have listened to them and I don't like listening to them. That's it.

don't get angry at me pumpkin was just saying.
Original post by JD1lla
don't get angry at me pumpkin was just saying.

Lol I'm not angry at you bb xo
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
No.

Yes. 2Pac wasn't that skilled as an MC and is rated higher than he should be because of his death/feud with Biggie. I was a massive Pac fan from 99 up until about 2006 as well. He has a couple notable albums, MATW being his best, but as I've grown older I find them pretty meh, and much of his music was filler.

Biggie was better than 2Pac as a spitter but only released one very good album, and one above average album. Compare to someone like Big L, died at the same age, made the same number of albums, but L is far superior and not as recognised. L had superior lyricism, was more fun to listen to, and his debut was better than Biggie's debut, which suffered because of pointless interludes and filler. L had a much better flow and picked much better music. Biggie had more charisma but L was a straight up rapper. Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous pisses over anything Biggie ever did. I think there are only two or three tracks I really rate on RTD and one is Machine Gun Funk, another is Gimme The Loot. L has so many bangers that weren't on Lifestylez as well.

The feud between Pac and Biggie has immortalised them, no way are they the best rappers of all time.
Reply 134
Yes. 2Pac wasn't that skilled as an MC and is rated higher than he should be because of his death/feud with Biggie. I was a massive Pac fan from 99 up until about 2006 as well. He has a couple notable albums, MATW being his best, but as I've grown older I find them pretty meh, and much of his music was filler.

Biggie was better than 2Pac as a spitter but only released one very good album, and one above average album. Compare to someone like Big L, died at the same age, made the same number of albums, but L is far superior and not as recognised. L had superior lyricism, was more fun to listen to, and his debut was better than Biggie's debut, which suffered because of pointless interludes and filler. L had a much better flow and picked much better music. Biggie had more charisma but L was a straight up rapper. Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous pisses over anything Biggie ever did. I think there are only two or three tracks I really rate on RTD and one is Machine Gun Funk, another is Gimme The Loot. L has so many bangers that weren't on Lifestylez as well.

The feud between Pac and Biggie has immortalised them, no way are they the best rappers of all time.

who would you say is?
Original post by JD1lla
who would you say is?

Depends, there are loads who are arguably up there. Ghostface Killah, Andre 3000, Rakim, Ice Cube... all have great bodies of work, they are all original and they are all very skilled. Maybe Chuck D too. I'm forgetting a few but you get the point. For me personally it's Andre, he needs to get a solo album out though.

Nas is up there as well, but is let down a little by his discography imo.
Depends, there are loads who are arguably up there. Ghostface Killah, Andre 3000, Rakim, Ice Cube... all have great bodies of work, they are all original and they are all very skilled. Maybe Chuck D too. I'm forgetting a few but you get the point. For me personally it's Andre, he needs to get a solo album out though.

Eminem is the only rap artist I like :colondollar:
Reply 137

Tbh, I'm happy with your response. I was thinking you were going to write "Nas" but as you said, his discography is mediocre.

Interesting you say Ghostface. I'm a massive fan and I'm glad he's still putting lots of material out these last few years. Love Andre and Rakim too. Not given much time to Ice Cube and none to Chuck D.

To me, the greatest rapper is an artist that can appeal to absolutely everybody. For me it's Kendrick. TPAB solidified it for me. I love most hip hop tbh. I'm not a hip hop snob you put on some Fetty Wap and I'll listen to it. You wanna put on some J Dilla or Madlib and I'll jam. You wanna take some acid with me and we'll kick it to Flying Lotus. Turn up at the club and sh*t, you might see me crying in the corner with my ex gf to Drake.

I appreciate most forms of the art. Although i can't stand 2pac.
Reply 138
Eminem is the only rap artist I like :colondollar:

Oh is HE not over rated then :wink:
Original post by JD1lla
Oh is HE not over rated then :wink:

Nope he isnt :h:

Quick Reply

Latest