The Student Room Group

is it ok to have 1000 calories for 2 weeks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
The websites are so toxic. I remember I saw one when I was 13 almost 14 and I was like 'omg, what is this ****?'. They really should take them down, it also glorifies anorexia which in itself is disgusting.

Yup. We found it actually very hard to study because we often came across disgusting pictures. A really tough topic to learn
Reply 41
Original post by Squats and milk
This thread has been made far more complicated than it needs to be.

Do not eat 1000 calories a day. Your body will go into starvation mode where it will lower your metabolic rate to such a degree that you will stop losing weight. It's a survival mechanism, your body wants to live, it doesn't care what you look like in a dress.

Simply calculate your TDEE and eat 10% less calories than this number.

Weight loss takes time, you won't make significant improvements in only 6 weeks, but you may as well start now.

Straight up broscience lol
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

enter your info etc and you should get an answer there.

1000 calories is far too less, it will be below your BMR and your body will go into starvation mode as others have said, resulting in weight loss massively being decreased as your body will try to keep as much as fat as possible.

In terms of the diet itself, just make sure to stay in the calorie limit, you don't need to eat special foods to lose weight. I would also advise some exercise as it's generally better in the long term.

Good luck
Original post by Squats and milk
This thread has been made far more complicated than it needs to be.

Do not eat 1000 calories a day. Your body will go into starvation mode where it will lower your metabolic rate to such a degree that you will stop losing weight. It's a survival mechanism, your body wants to live, it doesn't care what you look like in a dress.

Simply calculate your TDEE and eat 10% less calories than this number.

Weight loss takes time, you won't make significant improvements in only 6 weeks, but you may as well start now.
usually your nutrition posts are on point but this is pure broscience bruh
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
1000 calories? That's bonkers- eat 1500. The average female should eat 2000 whilst men should have at least 2500 (depending on activity level of course).
Reply 45
Eating 1000 calories only wont do anything bad. Ofc excercise will also help you lose the weight but don't worry it's only 2 weeks. But it entirely depends on your age height and everything so idk how much you can loose weight but 1000 is definitely the minimum calories. Besides, you don't need to eat 1000 though just 500 calories less than how much you eat rn and that alone is plenty. That's healthy calories reduction. But if you're really worried about effects of 1000 calories dw I eat under 1000 have been for long time and work 5 days 38 hrs a week (i work at hospital emergency department so I barely have time to eat with alot of walking a lot of rushing never a dull moment) and I'm a okay.
(edited 8 years ago)

All this study shows us is, metabolic slowdown doesn't occur within 72 hours. Over a longer time period, though, it can. It doesn't occur as quickly as some like to think but in some cases it has to happen to avoid an energy crisis. In either case, it can be avoided with regular refeeds/cheats/what-have-you.

OP, how much do you weigh? Have you got an idea of your current TDEE?
Original post by loveleest
OK, I am desperate to lose weight, for an upcoming events in about 6 weeks I bought this beautiful body control dress but my stomach and love handles are bulging :frown:. is it okay to eat 1000 calories just for the first two weeks and from their increase my calorie intake? would my metabolism slow down?

Seems okay I guess but you'll be awful hungry. My take would be for you to hit 1500/1700kcals MAX and make sure there's zero/minimal fat and sugar in your diet and skip rope and go running every day. Make sure your diet contain at least 60 grams of protein minimum. You'll notice a massive difference in your weight within two weeks.

Consistency is key.
Original post by loveleest
OK, I am desperate to lose weight, for an upcoming events in about 6 weeks I bought this beautiful body control dress but my stomach and love handles are bulging :frown:. is it okay to eat 1000 calories just for the first two weeks and from their increase my calorie intake? would my metabolism slow down?

It depends on your age, height, weight, gender and activity level as to whether that decrease would be too much.
Since I am very short and reasonably inactive that amount of calories is absolutely fine for me if I wanted to lose a bit of weight, but it might not be for you. If you want to lose weight find out your TDEE and subtract 500 calories from that, you'll lose approximately 1lb a week. Losing weight is literally simple maths people just overcomplicate it because they a) don't have a clue what they're talking about or b) don't want to eat less.

As for whether it'll slow down your metabolism, no it won't an ignore anyone who says otherwise. For the most part it is complete nonsense, to get genuine metabolic damage you would either need to have an endocrine disorder or be at a calorie deficit far far lower than that for a long time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AzimH
1000 calories? That's bonkers- eat 1500. The average female should eat 2000 whilst men should have at least 2500 (depending on activity level of course).

Massively depends on the person. 1500 for me is maintenance, 1000 is good for weight loss. The averages are completely useless when ascertaining what an individual should eat.
Just read through this thread, absolutely wetting myself at the bro-science and people giving advice on things they clearly don't understand.
Reply 51
Original post by SophieSmall
Massively depends on the person. 1500 for me is maintenance, 1000 is good for weight loss. The averages are completely useless when ascertaining what an individual should eat.

But do you live a sedentary lifestyle? If yes, then maybe you're right about having to eat 1500- unless you sit down or lie in bed all day doing nothing then eating 1500 is okay. Like I go to the gym 6 times a week so I have to eat 3300 calories just to maintain my weight. If you do actives through out the day, your maintenance calories will be greater than 1500.
Original post by AzimH
But do you live a sedentary lifestyle? If yes, then maybe you're right about having to eat 1500- unless you sit down or lie in bed all day doing nothing then eating 1500 is okay. Like I go to the gym 6 times a week so I have to eat 3300 calories just to maintain my weight. If you do actives through out the day, your maintenance calories will be greater than 1500.

Reasonably sedentary-lightly active. I do a fair amount of walking, but I'm in uni working a lot.
My tdee is that low because I am a very short woman.

I know all that, and all of that is why I said you cannot base what an individual should eat off of averages. As they're useless in most cases.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Reasonably sedentary-lightly active. I do a fair amount of walking, but I'm in uni working a lot.
My tdee is that low because I am a very short woman.

I know all that, and all of that is why I said you cannot base what an individual should eat off of averages. As they're useless in most cases.

Oooh I see haha. Are you a first year by any chance? I'm probably guessing not. I'm a first year student so I have all the time in the world, hence why I go gym so regularly.

True, but averages are created through extensive research- plus teenagers (which I assume OP is) tend to burn more calories since they're using energy to grow constantly. I understand where you're coming from but unless I know OPs height and current weight I can only assume 1500 calories a day is a reasonable amount for her to lose weight as 1000 calories is basically starving yourself. She can be 6ft4 for all I know lol
Original post by AzimH
Oooh I see haha. Are you a first year by any chance? I'm probably guessing not. I'm a first year student so I have all the time in the world, hence why I go gym so regularly.

True, but averages are created through extensive research- plus teenagers (which I assume OP is) tend to burn more calories since they're using energy to grow constantly. I understand where you're coming from but unless I know OPs height and current weight I can only assume 1500 calories a day is a reasonable amount for her to lose weight as 1000 calories is basically starving yourself. She can be 6ft4 for all I know lol

Nope 3rd in uni, 2nd on Bsc.

Women generally stop growing at 18-21 (whereas men continue ever so slightly up til on average 21-25). And I'm 20 and haven't grown since I was 13 so no chance of that :tongue:

The averages are actually pretty old and were established years ago when a lot of people were doing much more manual labour. They're pretty void now. Only reason they'd still be about right is because we have a lot of overweight people bumping up their TDEEs with extra weight. So even still definitely shouldn't listen to the averages when the average person is overweight.

I know, which is why you shouldn't give numbers to an individual of how much they should be eating without knowing their stats :tongue: which is why on my response to her I said she should find out her TDEE and go from there.

1000 a day isn't starving yourself necessarily, depends on the person.

I say all this because I always see people giving others numbers to go on without knowing all the facts. And the OP and other OPs like her in the future may lap it up not knowing if it was right, which could in the end lead to weight gain or in some cases them not eating enough. As many people have told me many times I should be eating 1800-2000 calories a day, when I know that I absolutely will gain weight eating that much, but if I hadn't educated myself already I may well have lapped it up and then gone on to gain weight by doing what people said. I do think for the most part people are trying to be helpful, but a lot of the time I think people's advice just confuses users further and can cause harm depending on what is said.
(edited 8 years ago)
1k calories a day sounds horrific.

Makes you wonder how bad it is in poorer countries when people have to settle with like 300 calories a day or something :/
Reply 56

Read everything you have to say and for the most part I agree with it. You're right it's impossible to know the exact number of calories OP should be eating without knowing their basic measurements and activity level but I honestly do not want to encourage OP to eat less. I think exercise is the key in this situation. If OP wants to get toned, using weights (dumbbells benchpress etc.) tighten the skin and increase muscle mass and cardio will help you become more lean. I personally do not like the idea of fad diets like OP is imagining. It's not safe to drop a lot of calories just to lose weight in a small amount of time- they should consult their doctor before doing anything to serious.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I think OP will greatly appreciate your advice- and I do to, I should stay away from suggesting numbers to people in theses types of threads unless I know their basic measurements. Hope you do well in uni and take care! :smile:
Moger.jpg
[QUOTE="AzimH;60514399"]

Read everything you have to say and for the most part I agree with it. You're right it's impossible to know the exact number of calories OP should be eating without knowing their basic measurements and activity level but I honestly do not want to encourage OP to eat less. I think exercise is the key in this situation. If OP wants to get toned, using weights (dumbbells benchpress etc.) tighten the skin and increase muscle mass and cardio will help you become more lean. I personally do not like the idea of fad diets like OP is imagining. It's not safe to drop a lot of calories just to lose weight in a small amount of time- they should consult their doctor before doing anything to serious.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I think OP will greatly appreciate your advice- and I do to, I should stay away from suggesting numbers to people in theses types of threads unless I know their basic measurements. Hope you do well in uni and take care! :smile:

The statistics disagree with you, 80% of weight loss is through diet. And that's because it is much easier not to eat that extra 200 calories than it is too burn it off. Especially for women, as men naturally burn far more calories than women through exercise and this due to your bigger build and high testosterone levels which mean increased muscle mass which increases calories burned.

Eating less isn't a fad diet. Fad diets are diets than tell you to cut out whole macro nutrient groups and anything with the word detox in the title.

No problem, good luck in uni too. Have fun :smile:
Original post by Greg Jackson
usually your nutrition posts are on point but this is pure broscience bruh

Original post by difeo
Straight up broscience lol

Damn, I thought that was true. I was told that by a trusted source so I'll have to quiz him on that one. I'll try to edit that out of my post if possible...

Quick Reply

Latest