The Student Room Group

Are private schools worth the ££££?

Do you think you would have done much better at school/life if you went to a private school? Everyone says the standards are much higher, which is understandable considering the £££ being put in, but is it really? Just curious about everyone's views on private schools

Scroll to see replies

Considering I go to a university with many people who went to private schools while I went to a state school, I don't really see the point.
Reply 2
Original post by Novascope
Considering I go to a university with many people who went to private schools while I went to a state school, I don't really see the point.

True, but if you had the chance to go to a private school would you go?
Original post by yung7up
Do you think you would have done much better at school/life if you went to a private school? Everyone says the standards are much higher, which is understandable considering the £££ being put in, but is it really? Just curious about everyone's views on private schools

Yeah, if you are too thick to get into a Grammar school, or there aren't any near you.

Comprehensives are rubbish. :frown:
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Yeah, if you are too thick to get into a Grammar school, or there aren't any near you.

Not really.
Reply 5

Maybe its the psychology of it but I feel like I could have achieved so much more if I went to a private school, even though there are some grammar and state school students that outperform
Reply 6
Depends on the school, some are just as if not more so ****ter than their state alternatives.
Generally the best ones have fewer pupils and higher fees
It's odd because numerous people at my state school got similar results to those at a good London private school. Yet those students were paying thousands a year and have come out with the same results as many at my school got for free. In this case, it seems a waste of money.

But if you're not that bright, private school can probably intensely tutor and push you to get higher grades than you'd naturally be capable of.
I'm on the fence. I'd hate to see my future kids have chips nailed to their shoulders, but then it would keep them away from the Tylers and Chardonnays.

(yes, I do see the irony)
Original post by United1892
Not really.

:rofl:
:rofl:

Have you ever been to one?
I wouldn't change the fact that I went to non-selective state schools. I think that if you're bright, you'll get good grades no matter what, and if you research the schools in your area to see what they're like instead of just going to the closest one then sometimes they can be just as good as private schools. A lot of the parents of kids in my year who understood the system chose to go to the schools that were a couple of miles further away, because the school in their town was mediocre and had a **** environment.

I think if you're of average intelligence, in an average state school, you'll get average grades, but in a private school you'll get pretty good grades. If you're above average, you'll get very good grades in private school. If you're below average then by going to private school it's unlikely you'll get below average grades.

However, I think the private school evironment benefits students in ways other than grades. Many of the parents, students, and faculty will "know the system", and will teach others about how to be confident in certain situations. It removes a level of ambiguity and uncertainty regarding, e.g., university applications if you are made very aware of all the options available to you and are able to see the outcomes of all those options. I'm very lucky, because my parents taught me a lot about the education system and about what "matters" and what is fluff to get a good Ofsted report, but most people don't have that background and as such are at a disadvantage when it comes to applying for work experience, jobs, or university places.
Reply 12
Original post by re4trfe
Depends on the school, some are just as if not more so ****ter than their state alternatives.
Generally the best ones have fewer pupils and higher fees

Usually its about the network as you will find that your fellow classmates in a private school will usually be future leaders, bankers, etc. These networks usually last for life which is one of the reasons why parents send their kids there
Original post by United1892
Have you ever been to one?

I am at one, the best in my area. But its crap
No private schools are not worth it. I have two cousins who are both the same age. One of them studied at a private school, whilst the other studied at one of the worst performing comprehensive schools in the borough. However, both of them achieved A*A*AA in A level and they both ended up studying Medicine at Nottingham university. Now I ask you, was all that money really worth it?
Private school environments are different to state schools. In a private school MOST people will be from well off affluent famillies and the children therefore live in a sort of middle class sheltered bubble. In a state school however, people come from all walks of life and they must work harder to achieve the grades they need. However if you meet both half way you can get similar results to a private school if you go to a state school in a relatively well off area. It's all about the environment of the school with a small bit of teaching and other factors involved.
No. My friend and I both went to a normal high school and got A's and A*'s at GCSE, and she then decided to go private for sixth form. But her AS grades were a complete drop after her GCSEs, and she has returned to our school for A2 as she much prefers it. Still doesn't get back the £12,000 she spent on a year of private education though.
Apart from getting less help with uni loans and whatnot, what else is there to love about going to private school?! :ahee:
I am at one, the best in my area. But its crap

Grammar schools aren't any better.
Reply 19
Original post by suirrel
I wouldn't change the fact that I went to non-selective state schools. I think that if you're bright, you'll get good grades no matter what, and if you research the schools in your area to see what they're like instead of just going to the closest one then sometimes they can be just as good as private schools. A lot of the parents of kids in my year who understood the system chose to go to the schools that were a couple of miles further away, because the school in their town was mediocre and had a **** environment.

I think if you're of average intelligence, in an average state school, you'll get average grades, but in a private school you'll get pretty good grades. If you're above average, you'll get very good grades in private school. If you're below average then by going to private school it's unlikely you'll get below average grades.

However, I think the private school evironment benefits students in ways other than grades. Many of the parents, students, and faculty will "know the system", and will teach others about how to be confident in certain situations. It removes a level of ambiguity and uncertainty regarding, e.g., university applications if you are made very aware of all the options available to you and are able to see the outcomes of all those options. I'm very lucky, because my parents taught me a lot about the education system and about what "matters" and what is fluff to get a good Ofsted report, but most people don't have that background and as such are at a disadvantage when it comes to applying for work experience, jobs, or university places.

Exactly! If a student is bright they would most likely achieve top grades in either situation and it does help the below average students. The environment is certainly beneficial in my opinion even though I don't go to a private school myself lol

Quick Reply

Latest