The Student Room Group

i neeeed freeedom!!!! :( hate my family's backwards culture!

everyone seems to be doing exciting things with their life, it's not fair.
i'm sick of my family being so strict.
i want to experience and travel but my parents would never let me do those things unless i decide to get married -___- ffs.
i hate this backwards culture.

i'm not even allowed to stay out late with friends.
i get so jealous of my people who are allowed to travel, even if it's just a day trip to london.

i'm actually starting to feel depressed.
i've got no real friends, i hate uni, and i'm bored with life. this year has been the worst :frown:

Scroll to see replies

You are at uni, which means you are a legal adult... therefore your parents cannot force you to do anything you don't want to, unless you let them, in which case there is no point complaining. Help yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by driftawaay
You are at uni, which means you are a legal adult... therefore your parents cannot force you to do anything you don't want to, unless you let them, in which case there is no point complaining. Help yourself.

i know but you don't understand what it's like living with strict parents who are also very religious. it's frowned upon for a woman to travel alone or with friends :/
Original post by booyahkasha
i know but you don't understand what it's like living with strict parents who are also very religious. it's frowned upon for a woman to travel alone or with friends :/

How about travel with a boyfriend?
Reply 4
But it's your life at the end of the day?
Whether you follow your parents' backwards culture, it'll your decision.
Reply 5
Original post by RiahDawson
How about travel with a boyfriend?

i wish lol i would never tell my parents i have a bf.
Reply 6
Asian?
Reply 7
Original post by FahzB
But it's your life at the end of the day?
Whether you follow your parents' backwards culture, it'll your decision.

i know but my parents just don't listen. especially my mum, she's become even more religious recently..
i wanted to go to london to study and she said no :frown: i really want to do my masters in london, but i know i'll never be allowed.
my sisters are even more annoying. -__-
Reply 8
Original post by JD1lla
Asian?

yes, unfortunately.
Reply 9
yes, unfortunately.

*Fistbumps*

Keep it real fellow asian. slay.
Original post by JD1lla
*Fistbumps*

Keep it real fellow asian. slay.

lol are you also asian?
Reply 11
lol are you also asian?

yeah half.
Original post by JD1lla
yeah half.

aw sad times eh
Reply 13
i know but my parents just don't listen. especially my mum, she's become even more religious recently..
i wanted to go to london to study and she said no :frown: i really want to do my masters in london, but i know i'll never be allowed.
my sisters are even more annoying. -__-

Okay, I'm going to be a bitch and tell you to stop being such a coward.
If you want to go to London to study then get a job, save some money and when you've finished your undergraduate degree, move out and study in London.
You don't need your parent's permission to do so, if you're financially able to then do it.
Original post by FahzB
Okay, I'm going to be a bitch and tell you to stop being such a coward.
If you want to go to London to study then get a job, save some money and when you've finished your undergraduate degree, move out and study in London.
You don't need your parent's permission to do so, if you're financially able to then do it.

i would, but i don't want to disobey my parents at the same time..
it's easier said than done. muslim guys have it sooo much easier
Reply 15
aw sad times eh

Nah it's all good. Nobody knows I'm asian until I tell them. I have a great, supportive mother and I don't turn red in the sun. Lovin life
Original post by JD1lla
Nah it's all good. Nobody knows I'm asian until I tell them. I have a great, supportive mother and I don't turn red in the sun. Lovin life

wow, so jealous
Reply 17
wow, so jealous

why dn't you want to disobey your parents?
Reply 18
i would, but i don't want to disobey my parents at the same time..
it's easier said than done. muslim guys have it sooo much easier

It seems as though you're choosing to abide by their rules - if you really wanted to move out or simply, not follow your parent's rules then why don't you?

I honestly don't understand the whole 'I don't wan to disobey my parents' thing since unless you were making morally bad decisions in your life, I think you should be making your own decisions.

Unfortunately, I'm Bengali, temporarily stuck in this stupid Bengali environment surrounded by idiots who agree with their backwards culture but I don't let culture or religion dictate my life; I'm in charge of my life, it's as simple as that.
Original post by JD1lla
yeah half.

Asia is a very big place. Do you hail from the siberian tundra, the steppes of Kazakhstan, the deserts of Pakisan, the Vietnamese jungles or perhaps the Japanese islands?

I could only guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending