The Student Room Group

How do I prove to Kings College London that I am Ordinarily Resident in the UK?

I'm sure there are others here that have been through this already.
I got sent a fee status questionnaire from Kings College London, and I had to upload a scan of my passport and evidence of my address.
So I upload a whole bunch of bank statements and bills only to get told that they want a continuous record for the past three years.
I DON'T KEEP ALL OF MY BANK STATEMENTS!
I don't understand though, I was born in the UK, I have hardly been out of the UK for the past three years, do the goverment not keep track of who's coming and going in this country? And surely the fact that I've done my AS Levels last year in a London College is proof that I was a resident here at least for more than the past year?
So, basically, what type of evidence can I produce. The hunt is on.

From their most recent letter to me:

In order to qualify for Home fee status, you must meet the requirement as stated on the UKCISA website http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education/, "(c) you must also have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the full three year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course - eg, if your course begins in October 2013, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands from 1 September 2010 to 31 August 2013"
Therefore you will need to provide evidence of continuous residency in the UK, from the documents received so far there are gaps between 29/1/13- 24/5/13, 23/5/14-31/07/14 and 31/07/14-17/08/15-present.
Do you know what's causing them to think that you might not be ordinarily resident in the UK?
e.g. home address not in the UK
did GCSEs outside the UK
dual nationality

I'm afraid that while the government keeps track of who's coming into the country, they don't actually track who's leaving it, and in any case universities don't have access to that data.

The rules say that you have to have been ordinarily resident here for three years, and not wholly or mainly for the purposes of education, so being here just so you can attend boarding school, for instance, doesn't count.

Ask them what evidence they would accept e.g. would statements printed from the internet count?
Original post by EricPiphany
I got sent a fee status questionnaire from Kings College London, and I had to upload a scan of my passport and evidence of my address.
So I upload a whole bunch of bank statements and bills only to get told that they want a continuous record for the past three years.
I don't understand though, I was born in the UK, I have hardly been out of the UK for the past three years, do the goverment not keep track of who's coming and going in this country? And surely the fact that I've done my AS Levels last year in a London College is proof that I was a resident here at least for more than the past year?

In order to qualify for Home fee status, you must meet the requirement as stated on the UKCISA website http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education/, "(c) you must also have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the full three year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course - eg, if your course begins in October 2013, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands from 1 September 2010 to 31 August 2013"
Therefore you will need to provide evidence of continuous residency in the UK, from the documents received so far there are gaps between 29/1/13- 24/5/13, 23/5/14-31/07/14 and 31/07/14-17/08/15-present.

Your college should be able to do this from your attendance records.unless they think you were commuting from New York to class!
Original post by Origami Bullets
Do you know what's causing them to think that you might not be ordinarily resident in the UK?
e.g. home address not in the UK
did GCSEs outside the UK
dual nationality

I'm afraid that while the government keeps track of who's coming into the country, they don't actually track who's leaving it, and in any case universities don't have access to that data.

The rules say that you have to have been ordinarily resident here for three years, and not wholly or mainly for the purposes of education, so being here just so you can attend boarding school, for instance, doesn't count.

Ask them what evidence they would accept e.g. would statements printed from the internet count?

I studied in France, New York and Israel in the past, but I live here in my parents home with my family. Like I said, I haven't been out of the UK for a long period, more than three years (except for short trips), I don't have another nationality and I'm proud to be British.

Ye, I'm not just here to attend boarding school. But sending them a whole load of bank statements spanning the three years doesn't seem to be enough for them, I don't know how to prove anything to them.
(edited 8 years ago)
I studied in France, New York and Israel in the past, but I live here in my parents home with my family. Like I said, I haven't been out of the UK for a long period, more than three years, I don't have another nationality and I'm proud to be British.

Ye, I'm not just here to attend boarding school. But sending them a whole load of bank statements spanning the three years doesn't seem to be enough for them, I don't know how to prove anything to them.

As Nulli Tertius said, your school should have no difficulty in proving you have been present for the last three years. Time to get your head of sixth form involved, I'd think.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
As Nulli Tertius said, your school should have no difficulty in proving you have been present for the last three years. Time to get your head of sixth form involved, I'd think.

Thanks for that.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question! Hopefully the following page can also help you with information about your fee status:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/policies-and-guidance/fee-status.aspx

If still you're unsure about anything, please get in touch with our Admissions team by calling +44 (0) 207 848 7000 or sending a message through our enquiry form http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/contact-us.aspx

Hope that helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
The situation looks sorted at the moment, I'll see how it goes.
I've spoken to my bank and they've agreed to send me bank statements for the past three years, I'm still waiting for them to arrive, hopefully they'll arrive soon and hopefully I'll be able to upload them without problem to the Kings College London portal.

Still seems excessive to require a complete set of bank statements for the past three years, especially for someone that was born in the UK, and my mother was born in the UK too.
I'm just worried it has delayed the decision on my application.
The situation looks sorted at the moment, I'll see how it goes.
I've spoken to my bank and they've agreed to send me bank statements for the past three years, I'm still waiting for them to arrive, hopefully they'll arrive soon and hopefully I'll be able to upload them without problem to the Kings College London portal.

Still seems excessive to require a complete set of bank statements for the past three years, especially for someone that was born in the UK, and my mother was born in the UK too.
I'm just worried it has delayed the decision on my application.

fee status isn't based on where you were born though, its where you've lived the last 3 years. This so that those who get the benefits of home status are those who have, or their parents have, contributed into the tax system recently which pays for the benefits. As an example, someone who has British nationality, was born in the UK and lives there until they are 10 would loose home status in the eyes of student finance and many universities if they then moved to the US and didn't return until they wanted to go to university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
fee status isn't based on where you were born though, its where you've lived the last 3 years. This so that those who get the benefits of home status are those who have, or their parents have, contributed into the tax system recently which pays for the benefits. As an example, someone who has British nationality, was born in the UK and lives there until they are 10 would loose home status in the eyes of student finance and many universities if they then moved to the US and didn't return until they wanted to go to university.

Granted, but I have told them I have been here for the last three years, my point is there shouldn't be significant reason for suspicion in this case.
They don't ask everyone to fill out a fee status questionnaire, I have a friend who applied with me and didn't get asked.
Granted, but I have told them I have been here for the last three years, my point is there shouldn't be significant reason for suspicion in this case.
They don't ask everyone to fill out a fee status questionnaire, I have a friend who applied with me and didn't get asked.

I think a lot of universities send out a fee assessment form to anyone who might possibly be a bit ambiguous in their fee status.

I really wouldn't get too offended by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
I think a lot of universities send out a fee assessment form to anyone who might possibly be a bit ambiguous in their fee status.

I really wouldn't get too offended by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, but in context, I only made this post after sending two emails with documents and getting replies that it wasn't enough.
wow. Just got an offer. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending