The Student Room Group

Welcome to the real world

Scroll to see replies

putting me of uni more and more..... dont really give a crap about uni right now
There's enough shade being thrown around on this thread to kill a tree
Original post by Anonynmous
LOOOOOOOOOL :rofl: my G went in with the harsh realities of life XDDDDDD fam it's not that deep cuz, give that guinea ting a break lololo

I had to lay her down with that harshness you feel me? she doesn't know what the world holds for her.

It's not all Mickey Mouse out there yanno. Some people need to be awoken.
that was inspirin
Original post by Ya Dunno
I had to lay her down with that harshness you feel me? she doesn't know what the world holds for her.

It's not all Mickey Mouse out there yanno. Some people need to be awoken.

Each to their own i guess, can't say whether i agree with you or not looooool. but gg all round for the late night keks, they were top banter 9/9 m9
Reply 25
You should get an award for story telling

A genuine masterpiece tho it lacked pictures for the kids.
Are you planning on a sequel :tongue:
Original post by CoolCavy
also can i just point out that :
a) i am doing 3 other a levels other than art and design
b) what is wrong with art and design? everything in the aesthetical world which people hold so dear has been designed. It is actually one of the biggest markets in the consumer world.
c) you don't know my life at all so kindly don't tell me to 'grow out' of guinea pigs, they are my hobby
d) innocence isn't defined by lack of knowledge about s***** things

Ummm yeah I never said there was anything wrong with Art and design though did I?:erm:

You don't need to grow out of guinea pigs, but one day you will have to. You can't live the rest of life with only guinea pigs in your household, people will think you're slightly cuckoo.:groovy:

And once again putting words my mouth which I never uttered, I never said innocence= lack of knowledge, but you do come across slightly inexperienced of the real world or the internet world?

You had to ask what fap meant?:erm:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:hugs:

We can ignore Ya Dunno because we all know he is just pretending to be a 'realist' when in reality he probably dreams about Guinea pigs too :u:

I am not hating on the Guinea pigs.:unimpressed:

I used to have one, but he escaped because my cat tried to eat him.
I am not hating on the Guinea pigs.:unimpressed:

I used to have one, but he escaped because my cat tried to eat him.

I love how you're trying to give her a dose of reality and everyone thinks your hating :L

You're right though, we can't all live in a fantasy world of guinea pigs and art
also can i just point out that :
a) i am doing 3 other a levels other than art and design
b) what is wrong with art and design? everything in the aesthetical world which people hold so dear has been designed. It is actually one of the biggest markets in the consumer world.
c) you don't know my life at all so kindly don't tell me to 'grow out' of guinea pigs, they are my hobby
d) innocence isn't defined by lack of knowledge about s***** things

Okay, sorry if I sounded rude.:console:
Original post by Darkphilosopher
I got a job from my first (and only) interview.
I'm a software developer on a nice salary.
No idea what you're talking about OP :wink:

Dope avatar/10
Ummm yeah I never said there was anything wrong with Art and design though did I?:erm:

You don't need to grow out of guinea pigs, but one day you will have to. You can't live the rest of life with only guinea pigs in your household, people will think you're slightly cuckoo.:groovy:

And once again putting words my mouth which I never uttered, I never said innocence= lack of knowledge, but you do come across slightly inexperienced of the real world or the internet world?

You had to ask what fap meant?:erm:

ok, fair enough sorry i was preemptive, usually people are derogatory about art and design because they think it isn't a proper subject. i apologise.
yeah but i don't want to get married or anything, i just don't feel that way inclined towards people, even if they are attractive. tbh i don't mind if ppl think i am eccentric lol :smile:
i am experienced with real world life experieces, but not with the internet, as unusual as it sounds i don't have a proper phone, don't text or use social media so this is all new to me.

i did but awesome genuis said i wasn't old enough to be told :redface:
it isn't a fantasy though, when ppl are successful they might buy a car or big house,
i would ideally like to work for a design company, if i am successful i want to own lots of guinea pigs.
that isn't a fantasy :smile:
Okay, sorry if I sounded rude.:console:

it's alright, no worries :smile:
if all else fails i'm gonna go live in the wilderness with my guinea pigs :s-smilie:

:tongue: you're so cute
(edited 8 years ago)
it isn't a fantasy though, when ppl are successful they might buy a car or big house,
i would ideally like to work for a design company, if i am successful i want to own lots of guinea pigs.
that isn't a fantasy :smile:

I think what he was trying to say is that you are quite innocent and naïve and sheltered and sadly the way of the world dictates that you have to be cut-throat, ruthless and hold a competitive edge if you want to get anywhere good in this world. You do seem quite naïve and innocent but you will learn that life isn't always like that. I don't know how old you are, you do come across as quite young (about 14 ish?)

You will grow up and learn with time
i can be competititve at school and i don't let ppl walk on me, but on here id really see the need for it here bc it is a place to hang out and stuff, so i suppose that could make me seem more naive. also bc i don't mix with boys i don't know all of this stuff ppl talk about on here so that's probably why i come across as innocent. I do get what ur both saying tho although i am actually 17 :colondollar: also as bad as it sounds i like ppl to like me bc i am quite insecure so it makes me happy when ppl like me :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Keyhofi
So you've just spent years and years of pain going through your GCSEs, sixth form, and now you have finally achieved your bachelor's, a shiny first class degree from a top university that you worked your arse off for. "The world is my playground" you think to yourself. After all, this is what your teachers and parents have been telling you would happen ever since you were little.

Guess what?
You are in for a huge surprise.

No, your teachers and parents aren't wrong. But they are outdated. They grew up in the days when a degree was a valuable rarity. But these days it's a bit different. Your degree means squat diddly all.

"But wait..." you say. Surely all those nights awake working against deadlines, those days of putting up with a kitchen that would send any health and safety officer into cardiac arrest, and all that money, yes, all those tens of thousands of pounds you have just realised you owe, were worth something?

Perhaps. But when you have half a million to a million other graduates competing for the jobs you are going for, maybe you can see where the problem begins. Oh, and that's before we include the quarter of a million Master's degree and doctorate graduates who will be snatching up all the good jobs before you ever get a chance at them.

Let me repeat that. A quarter of a million jobs will be gone before you even have a chance.

Welcome to the real world.

So you apply for the leftover jobs. Perfect. I mean, the job asks for someone with a degree, and that's exactly what you have. A shiny first class degree from a top university.

Yeah, bit of a problem. Every other person, all 200 of them, who has also applied to this position holds a degree too. Suddenly your outlook appears pretty bleak.

But you are well-prepared. You breeze through the first stage of interviews, demonstrating expertise for your field, a deep understanding of the company, and capturing the hearts of your interviewers with your charming smile. Rock on dude.

A month later and you are back at the company, one of the last five candidates, here for the final interviews. You sit in a room with the other candidates as you each wait your turn. You talk with the others, and after an awkward ice breaker of moaning about the British weather, you soon learn that none of the other candidates even come close to you. They are all 2.1's and below, and for the most part you have never even heard of the universities they went to. They certainly aren't unis anywhere in the top 50. You wonder why these people haven't gone into teaching already or tried to have lots of kids so they can get a plethora of benefits money.

The interviewers come for you, interrupting your train of thought before it offends even more people.

Thirty minutes later you walk out grinning from ear to ear. The interview went swimmingly, as expected. Nothing can go wrong now.

A week later you get an email. "We are sorry to inform you that you have been unsuccessful in this position. Reason: Lack of work experience."

Oh no. You've spent your entire degree studying and working in the union at night for food money. You picked a top uni over a lower one that offered a placement year and now you are feeling the full effects of that.

Sure, you have the knowledge for the job, and you can solve any problem offered to you, and you work hard, oh, and you have a shiny first class degree from a top university, but your employer doesn't particularly care about those so much as how well you work in a company, with other people, and in a new and developing field that utilises only 5% of everything you learned in your degree.

Welcome to the real world.

The news gets even worse. Every year there are 2-4 times as many graduates as there are new jobs on the grad market. Even the menial non-grad jobs that are usually taken by college dropouts are full of graduates. But maybe you can take a Master's degree? Erm, you have no money for that and so need a job first. Hmm, maybe a PhD then? Oh wait, you need a Master's for that. "Well... ****" you sigh.

"Hello, real world."

And thats enough to get me depressed.
Everyone who posts this crap thinks it makes them super-smart and 'above the masses', but the fact is pretty much no one thinks that a degree equals a top job anymore. Far from being one of the minority who 'sees the truth', you're actually just pedalling what thousands of others have already told you.

It's kinda like when someone talks about how the England football team is 'overrated' to make themselves seem smart and knowledgeable about the game, as though they're sharing insight that no one else can pick up. But absolutely no one these days expects England to win a tournament. You're not some lone visionary, you're a sheep who is repeating what you've heard on TV.
(edited 8 years ago)
i can be competititve at school and i don't let ppl walk on me, but on here id really see the need for it bc it is a place to hang out and stuff, so i suppose that could make me seem more naive. also bc i don't mix with boys i don't know all of this stuff ppl talk about on here so that's probably why i come across as innocent. I do get what ur both saying tho although i am actually 17 :colondollar:

Okay, that's good and all that but you need to be street smart about these kinds of things or else people will take advantage of you. I don't mean to be overly negative or put a downer and your guinea pig hobby but at some point you will have to mature and start making savvy decisions for yourself. You can't just run and hide to live with your guinea pigs when life starts getting tough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending