The Student Room Group

How much better is life for "rich" kids?

Considering now the government is making a lot more cut backs in government spending such as schools, nhs etc.

Will we begin to see a more noticeable difference like in the US for example over time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Bill_Gates

Considering now the government is making a lot more cut backs in government spending such as schools, nhs etc.

Will we begin to see a more noticeable difference like in the US for example over time.

Surely it entirely depends on what the parents are spending their wealth on. These children are not rich themselves.
Depends what their parents are like.
Reply 3
Original post by william walker
Depends what their parents are like.

Original post by Reue
Surely it entirely depends on what the parents are spending their wealth on. These children are not rich themselves.

It was more of a generalisation than individual circumstances. I know some benefit mothers will spend their money on drugs rather than feed their kids for example.
Yes, handing control back to family patriarchs. Better make sure you're born into a rich family with caring parents!
Reply 5
It was more of a generalisation than individual circumstances. I know some benefit mothers will spend their money on drugs rather than feed their kids for example.

So in general I'd say their lives were no 'better' if we measure it on happiness.
Reply 6
Original post by Reue
So in general I'd say their lives were no 'better' if we measure it on happiness.

I would not agree tbh. I'd rather have a life of things than just wants/desires. Money gives a sense of comfort.

The rich are getting richer that's Tory Britain for you
Reply 8
Original post by _icecream

hear hear!
Reply 9
They still live in the same world as us, although it is no doubt nicer to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.
Original post by Tom78
They still live in the same world as us, although it is no doubt nicer to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Word.

Original post by scrotgrot
Yes, handing control back to family patriarchs. Better make sure you're born into a rich family with caring parents!

Wordx2. At private schools you don't realise how lucky and sheltered you are, with all your mates in the same position.
Studies have been conducted that show rich kids are more likely to be depressed then poorer ones. To be fair though I'd much rather be sad in a nice 3-story penthouse in Central London than a 4 bedroom average house in Hull.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _icecream

Everyone is getting richer. That's Tory Britain for you. Just because the rich may be getting richer at a faster rate doesn't mean things are ****e for the 'poor',
You can't really generalise something like that, because of individual differences. Rich kids and poor kids often live away from each other and usually only mix with those in the same background.

It can ironically be more financially beneficial for poor students in university as they get far more money from the government

Original post by Kyou
Studies have been conducted that show rich kids are more likely to be depressed then poorer ones. To be fair though I'd much rather be sad in a nice 3-story penthouse in Central London than a 4 bedroom average house in Hull.

If you're sad, you're sad. Money is irrelevant, unless you have money worries.
(edited 8 years ago)
People often like to say "but money doesn't buy you happiness!" which, in my opinion, is wrong. I'm from a rich family, and i have friends who are poor, receive benefits etc. and I found that my parents having money did make me happier. My family lives in a big house, with plenty of room (I had my own room growing up, never had to share). If I asked for something at Christmas or Birthday, I'd usually get it. And I'd say I was a happier kid because of it.

HOWEVER, now that I'm living away from home at uni, I've noticed how unprepared I am for life. I'm used to having everything handed to me on a silver platter, so moving away and having to go shopping for myself, and actually spend my own money, was a huge shock to the system. Also, I look at my older sister who is still living at home (age 23). She hasn't spent more than a fortnight away from home, she only pays a small amount of rent to live in a nice house, she doesn't have to boy food, wash her clothes or anything.

So basically, money buys happiness, but also laziness.
Original post by Jonny360
Everyone is getting richer. That's Tory Britain for you. Just because the rich may be getting richer at a faster rate doesn't mean things are ****e for the 'poor',
As what Margaret Thatcher said, the left would rather have the poor poorer, provided the rich was less rich. A race to the bottom in the name of equality.
Original post by DisguisedToast
People often like to say "but money doesn't buy you happiness!" which, in my opinion, is wrong. I'm from a rich family, and i have friends who are poor, receive benefits etc. and I found that my parents having money did make me happier. My family lives in a big house, with plenty of room (I had my own room growing up, never had to share). If I asked for something at Christmas or Birthday, I'd usually get it. And I'd say I was a happier kid because of it.

HOWEVER, now that I'm living away from home at uni, I've noticed how unprepared I am for life. I'm used to having everything handed to me on a silver platter, so moving away and having to go shopping for myself, and actually spend my own money, was a huge shock to the system. Also, I look at my older sister who is still living at home (age 23). She hasn't spent more than a fortnight away from home, she only pays a small amount of rent to live in a nice house, she doesn't have to boy food, wash her clothes or anything.

So basically, money buys happiness, but also laziness.
That's very true; money indeed buys comfort and security. However it does not necessarily have to lead to children becoming lazy and self-entitled. It all depends on the values and work ethic inculcated by the parents in their children.
Original post by Reue

I think it massively depends on how big of a money gap we are talking about.

If we're just talking about average income vs middle class in money terms then I doubt there is that much difference in happiness.

However outside of that I think it makes a difference. I grew up in a very poor household and it definitely affected my happiness and quality of life. From a very young age I would worry and get very sad an anxious over our money troubles and whether we would afford to eat or pay bills (bailiffs were always a barrel of fun). I wore second hand clothes and hand me downs that didn't fit properly and I was constantly bullied for my background (among other things) and I remember feeling a great deal of shame.

On the other hand someone who grew up in a wealthy household may have had some amazing opportunities and experiences that could have definitely contributed to happiness. But then again it may not have.

However this doesn't take into account mental health problems across incomes or other things such as the fact often the much higher earners don't get to spend as much time with their children as lower earners, which can defintely affect a child
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jonny360

Thank you
Reply 19
I would not agree tbh. I'd rather have a life of things than just wants/desires. Money gives a sense of comfort.

Money gives a sense of comfort up to a point. Once your basic needs are met it's very much a case of diminishing returns and hedonic adaptation.

Quick Reply

Latest