The Student Room Group

I don't love him as much as he loves me (HELP)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emily.97
I dont like the sound of him putting pressure on you to change. If you're in a relationship with somebody, they should accept you for who you are.

I know what it feels like to be trapped, i can wholly relate to this. Even though you're aware it will hurt him, it is equally bad to tell him you love him if you don't. He deserves the truth and you deserve freedom from a partnership that is leaving you feeling isolated like this.

I think you should consider leaving.

thank you, and you are right. I feel I just can't do better which is why I am with him and I certainly need to get that thought out of my head
Original post by Anonymous
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you could help me.

I am currently dating a guy whom is amazing in every way, he buys me stuff, appreciates me and asks how my day is. The only problem is that I don't think I feel the same way as him anymore.

We have been dating almost two months and he met me over Facebook, turned out he was going to the same university as me and I really liked his personality.

My problem is that I had broken up with my ex a year earlier and I wasn't ready for a relationship but thought I should give him a chance. He had broken up around the same time too, and it was clear that he was alone and I had felt like it was the least I could do.

I feel like a horrible person, he always kisses me, tells me loves me and makes me say it back to him even though I don't know if I do. Sometimes he makes me stay with him until he sleeps and I cry at night because I feel so guilty.

One night he took me out for a date and told me that I should eat salad as "I've had enough" and repeated it until we argued about it later and there have been other instances where he hinted I should change, but he always buys me things to make up for it, to show he loves me.

Personally, I care about him. And I don't want to hurt him, because I can tell it would kill him if I left, but there are times I think of other guys, think of my ex. I never have felt so trapped and so conflicted of my feelings.

If someone could please give me advice I would be grateful.

He doesn't actually sound nice. He sounds controlling and manipulative. His behaviour is classic of what would develop into domestic abuse. I've been there, so I know the warning signs.

STEER CLEAR
you are so right :frown: I personally didn't know what to do until I read all that. It helped a lot thank you!
thank you, and you are right. I feel I just can't do better which is why I am with him and I certainly need to get that thought out of my head

What do you mean by "can't do better"?

I think it's more that you just don't seem compatible. Don't stay with him for the sake of insecurity. Again, that isn't healthy for either of you.
What do you mean by "can't do better"?

I think it's more that you just don't seem compatible. Don't stay with him for the sake of insecurity. Again, that isn't healthy for either of you.

I think i meant that because he is always around me, giving me attention I am scared of being alone. But I realise like you say, it is not right or healthy for me to think like that, because I can be fine.
I think i meant that because he is always around me, giving me attention I am scared of being alone. But I realise like you say, it is not right or healthy for me to think like that, because I can be fine.

Ah,i see.
There is no denying that it will be difficult to be separated from somebody familiar. I won't deny that. But you have to look at these kind of situations with principle (eg If i dont love him, i shouldnt be with him) and act accordingly.
Original post by georgiaswift
If you don't feel the same way about him you should break up, it isn't fair. Plus the fact that he's trying to change you, telling you what you should eat etc, and then buying you things to make up for it is a red flag. If somebody I'd only been dating for two months told me what to eat or tried to hint that I should change, he'd be out the door

it's just a bit of salad...

There is something to be learned from this thread. The more a man invests into his girlfriend/ spouse, the less attractive he becomes to her. Your boyfriend was deluded into thinking that he could buy your affection, when ironically that just made him less and less attractive.

Put him out of his misery already.
What have you done since?
Original post by Tom Jickleson
it's just a bit of salad...

There is something to be learned from this thread. The more a man invests into his girlfriend/ spouse, the less attractive he becomes to her. Your boyfriend was deluded into thinking that he could buy your affection, when ironically that just made him less and less attractive.

Put him out of his misery already.

The principle of trying to control someone's eating habits in month 2 of a new relationship is completely off though. You shouldn't really be doing it at all in a relationship full stop unless it have severe health consequences.

OP I would end this on the controlling behaviour alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you, I should dump him, i just don't want to make things awkward now :/

Uhh and pretending you want to be with him day in and day out isn't awkward enough as it is?
(edited 8 years ago)
From the moment I read the part you said he buys you stuff I knew where this was going. Don't forget that it easy for some people to buy affection. I hope you make the right decision! It's only been two months at the end of the day, so either leave and find happiness or continue to be unhappy in this relationship.
thank you, I should dump him, i just don't want to make things awkward now :/

Bit late for that now I think.
Original post by phunky_fresh
From the moment I read the part you said he buys you stuff I knew where this was going. Don't forget that it easy for some people to buy affection. I hope you make the right decision! It's only been two months at the end of the day, so either leave and find happiness or continue to be unhappy in this relationship.

thank you, i do understand. being pretty young it can be hard to understand what is real or not
Reply 33
Love wavers and changes.

What should matter is that you like him.

Love will come back. Just give it time. If you break up someone every time you feel bad, you will never have a successful relationship.

And contrary to what someone else said: his happiness is your responsibility. If you care about him, you will make sacrifices and change yourself to make him happy.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. :smile:
Original post by 41b
Love wavers and changes.

What should matter is that you like him.

Love will come back. Just give it time. If you break up someone every time you feel bad, you will never have a successful relationship.

And contrary to what someone else said: his happiness is your responsibility. If you care about him, you will make sacrifices and change yourself to make him happy.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. :smile:

i agree with you on that, hence why i am so conflicted about it. I don't want it to be the case where I ditched him before we worked things out. but at the same time i don't know how if staying is the right thing to do.
There's no way out. Basically, you're ****ed. This is why I don't do relationships.

You have to leave his sorry ass now.
Original post by ThePrick
There's no way out. Basically, you're ****ed. This is why I don't do relationships.

You have to leave his sorry ass now.

at least you're honest :/
If it's not right for you, then it's absolutely ok for you to end things. I understand that you don't want to hurt him, but the thing is that sometimes these things are unavoidable. He shouldn't be pressuring you to change and if this relationship is going to last you both need to be happy. If you aren't, ending things sooner rather than later will prevent things getting too far and will be easier on both of you come to finish. Sometime it's possible for all the things he does for you to seem a bit much, and you might feel that, as lovely as he may be, you can feel a bit smothered. So I'd say go with your gut instinct, and you'll end up making the right decision for you :smile:
I dont like the sound of him putting pressure on you to change. If you're in a relationship with somebody, they should accept you for who you are.

I know what it feels like to be trapped, i can wholly relate to this. Even though you're aware it will hurt him, it is equally bad to tell him you love him if you don't. He deserves the truth and you deserve freedom from a partnership that is leaving you feeling isolated like this.

I think you should consider leaving.

I don't understand the notion of if you're in a relationship with someone you should be happy with whatever they want to do. It's nonsense. nobody is perfect and if you are in a relationship with someone that would suggest you are at least somewhat friendly with them - somewhat invested in them emotionally. surely you want them to live their life as best as possible? Imagine if they started doing drugs. Why would I be wrong for trying my earnest to get them to get that stupid idea out of their head?
Original post by Rock Fan
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but perhaps you should have said you weren't ready. Probably best if you are honest and tell him that you don't want a relationship otherwise in the long run he will be more hurt if you let this continue like this.

Thought you were about to belt out Bastille right then...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending