The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loyale
I've been struggling with chemistry and i dont know how to revise for it.
I find chemistry alevel really difficult, im aiming for an A but i keep getting B/C/D's in my homeworks/tests

Can anybody give me advice?

Hi! Thats the same with me. I'm aiming for an A, and am currently working at a low to mid B. My advice is just to do as many practise questions as possible and to do at least 3 hours of revision a week OUTSIDE of class.

Good luck, and you'll do fab :biggrin:
So first, it's important to take a step back and chill out when it comes to Chemistry. It's often credited as the hardest A-Level subject, so it's completely fine that you aren't doing as well as intended. I did Chemistry and found it very confusing at times, and I was often underachieving in homeworks, mocks etc.

I found that youtube videos were a good source for revision, as well as flow charts showing different reactions, their colour changes, and other useful information about them. Also, remember to do loads, and I mean LOADS, of past exam questions, as similar questions will often pop up through the years. Closer to the actual exams, I liked to blutac pieces of paper around my room with various mechanisms, reactions etc.
Original post by DisguisedToast
So first, it's important to take a step back and chill out when it comes to Chemistry. It's often credited as the hardest A-Level subject, so it's completely fine that you aren't doing as well as intended. I did Chemistry and found it very confusing at times, and I was often underachieving in homeworks, mocks etc.

I found that youtube videos were a good source for revision, as well as flow charts showing different reactions, their colour changes, and other useful information about them. Also, remember to do loads, and I mean LOADS, of past exam questions, as similar questions will often pop up through the years. Closer to the actual exams, I liked to blutac pieces of paper around my room with various mechanisms, reactions etc.

I was under the impression that that honour belonged to General studies with physics coming a close second?
A lot of people on my Chemistry thought it was the hardest A-Level they were doing. Then again, the same can be said for my Physics class!

Seriously though, a lot of people do find Chemistry extremely challenging and stressful. Personally, I don't think it's fair to say "X is the hardest!" because every person finds different things difficult.
Keep on top of your homework and have some light study periods e.g. 1 hour max. It's best to spread your study periods over a period of time doing a light amount so you can concentrate better on what you've learnt. :gasp: how many times did I say period :lol:
But seriously OP, save the past papers for a few months before your actual exams as they're valuable resources that should only be used once you feel you've covered the syllabus to the best of your ability.
Keep in mind this is advice from someone who finished A level chemistry but isn't a teacher or anything special so yeah maybe it doesn't help you as much but that's what I did.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that! Save the past papers for closer to the end of the year, other wise you'll run out!
You're failing, but you're getting B's and C's. Is that an oxymoron or are you just really academic?
Original post by Diego Costa
You're failing, but you're getting B's and C's. Is that an oxymoron or are you just really academic?

Some people would consider such grades as a failure depending on their ambitions on their life. I think it's perfectly fine to set aims for yourself but I wouldn't call B's and C's a failure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ahmed766
Some people would consider such grades as a failure depending on their ambitions on their life. I think it's perfectly respectable to set aims for yourself but I wouldn't call B's and C's a failure.

I agree it's okay to set aims for yourself, but the title "help!!!! I'm failing" is silly and hyperbolic for someone who is routinely achieving B's and C's.
I agree it's okay to set aims for yourself, but the title "help!!!! I'm failing" is silly and hyperbolic for someone who is routinely achieving B's and C's.

Easy for you to say, B stands for beating in my household.
Original post by Ahmed766
Easy for you to say, B stands for beating in my household.

Lol. A "B" isn't a failure though, just because in your household there are incredibly high standards of what constitutes good grades, it doesn't mean you failed.

As someone who failed their A Levels outright, it seems bizarre for someone to be so melodramatic about getting decent grades.
Lol. A "B" isn't a failure though, just because in your household there are incredibly high standards of what constitutes good grades, it doesn't mean you failed.

As someone who failed their A Levels outright, it seems bizarre for someone to be so melodramatic about getting decent grades.

I'm just playin homie, a B is absolutely not a failure and OP is over reacting unless he is Asian... then he was right to make this thread as he is Asian not Bsian
You're right..

In all fairness to OP, I only got a BCC in my a-levels and considering I got B's and A*'s in some of the units I would consider myself as having failed aswell
Original post by 123456789012
You're right..

Thank you, I thought as much. I can't actually read the graph though so I'll take your word for it
Original post by AngryRedhead
I was under the impression that that honour belonged to General studies with physics coming a close second?

General studies is the A Level students put the least effort into. I wouldn't say it's difficult.

If getting B's and C's is failing to you, then that's your prerogative. But personally I think that's a really daft stance.
General studies is the A Level students put the least effort into. I wouldn't say it's difficult.

If getting B's and C's is failing to you, then that's your prerogative. But personally I think that's a really daft stance.

Apparently I was correct in this estimation.

Why is it daft to push myself to the very best of my ability? I let myself and my family down by not getting into a RG uni and that's the end of it
The results will have been skewed because a lot of people don't put any effort in to the exam, let alone the preparation hence causing lower grades.

Why is it daft to push myself to the very best of my ability? I let myself and my family down by not getting into a RG uni and that's the end of it

I said it's daft to view decent grades as failures, because it will just get you down for nothing case in point now.

If you did your best in the exams, I wouldn't say you let anyone down. The Russell Group isn't the be all and end all. There are some decent places that let people in with BCC. If you want to parade around this idea that you've failed that's up to you, but it seems there a lot of people being martyrs to good grades.
(edited 8 years ago)
The results will have been skewed because a lot of people don't put any effort in to the exam, let alone the preparation hence causing lower grades.

I said it's daft to view decent grades as failures, because it will just get you down for nothing case in point now.

If you did your best in the exams, I wouldn't say you let anyone down. The Russell Group isn't the be all and end all. There are some decent places that let people in with BCC. If you want to parade around this idea that you've failed that's up to you, but it seems there a lot of people being martyrs to good grades.

Okay, fair enough for the first point

But a RG is a RG and my mum went to a RG for her subject so should I. I didn';t do the best I could have tbf and I know I could have done better because where I did bother to put effort in I got A* grade

Latest