The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If the fact that your mum went to a Russell Group (possibly 20+ years ago) is your main reason for wanting to go to one, then that shows a lot of naivety.

I didn't do the best I could have tbf and I know I could have done better because where I did bother to put effort in I got A* grade

If you were lazy, you were lazy. That doesn't mean you failed if you still got decent grades.
Original post by Diego Costa
If the fact that your mum went to a Russell Group (possibly 20+ years ago) is your main reason for wanting to go to one, then that shows a lot of naivety.

If you were lazy, you were lazy. That doesn't mean you failed if you still got decent grades.

There's a reason why, its because they are better objectively in research and teaching. FYI it was less than 20 years ago.

Well, I suppose, but a C is only grade off a fail (a D)
Why what did you get?
I said POSSIBLY. The only reason you cited is because you said your mum went to an RG uni.

How can something like teaching be "objectively" better, it's entirely based on personal opinion? Especially when the teaching in one university can greatly vary depending on the department.

Well, I suppose, but a C is only grade off a fail (a D)
Why what did you get?

I got DDEU first time I did my A Levels. I got AAB when I resat them. A "D" is a pass "FYI". Even then it's one grade off a "B" and still a comfortable pass. If you want to believe that a "C" is a failure, then that's your opinion, however it's not one that's shared by that many people.
Reply 23
Which parts are you having problems with? I find a lot of people find moles and things linked to it like gas volume troublesome.
I said POSSIBLY. The only reason you cited is because you said your mum went to an RG uni.

How can something like teaching be "objectively" better, it's entirely based on personal opinion? Especially when the teaching in one university can greatly vary depending on the department.

I got DDEU first time I did my A Levels. I got AAB when I resat them. A "D" is a pass "FYI". Even then it's one grade off a "B" and still a comfortable pass. If you want to believe that a "C" is a failure, then that's your opinion, however it's not one that's shared by that many people.

Umm, You've heard of League tables and world rankings, right? C'mon, there's a reason why a RG Plate glass like York can be considered better than other plate glasses like Bradford that were established around the same time and this is the reason why. It's far from subjective; the research and therefore teaching is superior in RG uni's by virtue of the lecturers you have than in non RG uni's, generally speaking (Exceptions exist such as Bath and St Andrews)

Yes a D may be a 'pass' officially but for all intents and purposes it might aswell be a fail due to the academic requirements of most uni's that don't take foundation year students on. I mean, c'mon, you might aswell not bother. The lowest grades required to go straight onto a course at any decent Uni are B's.

All that being said, what you did with your grade hike is very impressive and you should be applauded for that. What happened first time around were you just not bothered enough to work?
(edited 8 years ago)
With BCC, you won't be somewhere bad. At RG's lectures still get cancelled and stuff, hence why I say teaching is subjective. It depends more on the attitude of the lecturer which is unlikely to change depending on the uni. I've even heard that the lecturers try harder in less prestigious universities. A lot of recruiters, even the top end ones look primarily at the degree qualification and experience over where you got your degree from.

Yes a D may be a 'pass' officially but for all intents and purposes it might aswell be a fail due to the academic requirements of most uni's that don't take foundation year students on. I mean, c'mon, you might aswell not bother. The lowest grades required to go straight onto a course at any decent Uni are B's.

I'm not necessarily saying D's are good, my point is that C's aren't bad. There are courses at good uni's with BBB requirements that let BCC students on, which does show that your grades are still decent.

All that being said, what you did with your grade hike is very impressive and you should be applauded for that. What happened first time around were you just not bothered enough to work?

Thanks.

I was pretty lazy first time around. However, when I sat them again, I had foundations in the some of the subject matter and was able to cram effectively. I didn't work much harder in all honesty.

What uni do you go to out of interest?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ahmed766
Keep on top of your homework and have some light study periods e.g. 1 hour max. It's best to spread your study periods over a period of time doing a light amount so you can concentrate better on what you've learnt. :gasp: how many times did I say period :lol:
But seriously OP, save the past papers for a few months before your actual exams as they're valuable resources that should only be used once you feel you've covered the syllabus to the best of your ability.
Keep in mind this is advice from someone who finished A level chemistry but isn't a teacher or anything special so yeah maybe it doesn't help you as much but that's what I did.

That's amazing advice! Although I'm not OP, I'm definitely gonna take that advice.on board. Thank you!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker
Which parts are you having problems with? I find a lot of people find moles and things linked to it like gas volume troublesome.

Yeahh, I tend to find the same. Atm, im finding the hydrogen bonding, dipole dipole interaction and Van Der Waals a bit of a struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ravioliyears
That's amazing advice! Although I'm not OP, I'm definitely gonna take that advice.on board. Thank you!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: I'm glad to help but do keep in mind I only achieved an A in chemistry not an A* so maybe someone might have better advice :biggrin:
With BCC, you won't be somewhere bad. At RG's lectures still get cancelled and stuff, hence why I say teaching is subjective. It depends more on the attitude of the lecturer which is unlikely to change depending on the uni. I've even heard that the lecturers try harder in less prestigious universities. A lot of recruiters, even the top end ones look primarily at the degree qualification and experience over where you got your degree from.

I'm not necessarily saying D's are good, my point is that C's aren't bad. There are courses at good uni's with BBB requirements that let BCC students on, which does show that your grades are still decent.

Thanks.

I was pretty lazy first time around. However, when I sat them again, I had foundations in the some of the subject matter and was able to cram effectively. I didn't work much harder in all honesty.

What uni do you go to out of interest?

I know but theres a reason why RG uni's are still considered the best.

I used to go UCLan but I've dropped out to resit a-levels and study Med Chem elsewhere because my long term goals changed. Wbu?
Well it depends what uni they're aiming for, at a top uni this would be a fail and they wouldn't let you in 😶
Wow you can do that? I thought at most unis they didn't like resits. But that's great though gl 👍
Original post by _Lizabeth_
Wow you can do that? I thought at most unis they didn't like resits. But that's great though gl 👍

Most universities will take resits even for subjects as competitive as Economics so I figured I have a decent chance for something like Med Chem
well now i want to cry because im aiming for an a and getting an e sooooo
Original post by stressndepress

Crying won't help
Reply 35
Original post by stressndepress

Same
well this is just beyond me.
literally me
Reply 38
I'm getting grade Es and I really think I shouldn't have picked chemistry anymore!!! It's the only subject that I am failing in and it's stressing me out so much. I enjoyed it at first but it just keeps on getting harder and the calculations are the part in the exam that I find so difficult to answer. It's just so hard to revise for this subject and I keep having a mental breakdown because I need an A in chemistry to get into university and do the degree I want to do. I really want help too

Latest