The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi all! :hi:

I'm gonna be unsubscribing from this thread for personal reasons for a bit. MUSIC applicants are welcome to PM me as per usual. But before I go, a few wise old words from someone who applied 9 years ago (!!!) :shakecane: :smartass: :yep:

To those who are invited to interview

Good stuff! Well done and start preparing (and when I mean preparing, DON'T overthink or overdo it or get into a tiz and tie yourself up in knots) :colone:

To those who are rejected without interview

There is no shame in this. In any case, if you were good enough to apply to Oxford, then you are almost certainly (unless you're a medic, where the stats are less in your favour) going to get into one of your other choices. You will be very happy there, no doubt, and think "why the hell did I even wanna go to Oxford anyway?!"

We are fortunate in the UK to have many world-class institutions. Oxbridge is no longer the automatic ticket to success that it once was, and the gulf between Oxbridge and other top unis is ever-decreasing.

Sometimes the universe likes to do us a favour by taking us out of an environment that we would not thrive in, or that we would not be happy in, for whatever reason. I strongly believe this, I really do!

Whatever your views about fate etc. just keep your head held high. You are AWESOME and the world is STILL your oyster :h:

:grouphugs:
So you've already done your A-levels too?
Or wait until August to know the final decision!
Is that when they release offers post-interview? January?
ahh got to make it to interview first!
Good luck :smile:
Anyone else nervous about the interviews? I've read others experiences but I've also been warned the tutors can spot people who've been coached and watch for certain phrases and buzzwords, so I'm thinking not to get any coaching (it's expensive anyway)
Does anyone else tend to get stuck for words and think of awesome answers like 30 minutes too late? Wondering what advice beyond the typical 'know your PS and read well around your chosen subject' anyone might have?
Original post by Ivoryfall
Anyone else nervous about the interviews? I've read others experiences but I've also been warned the tutors can spot people who've been coached and watch for certain phrases and buzzwords, so I'm thinking not to get any coaching (it's expensive anyway)
Does anyone else tend to get stuck for words and think of awesome answers like 30 minutes too late? Wondering what advice beyond the typical 'know your PS and read well around your chosen subject' anyone might have?

I'm going to just get comfortable talking through the things on my PS and my essay, and thinking through new problems logically and clearly.

I agree you could overdo it - I reckon the wrong way to prepare is to try and practice everything that could possibly come up, so that everything is 'covered' and you have ready made answers. I would rather just feel used to, and confident in, academic conversations about new ideas, and the things you expect you may be asked about from your PS etc.
Original post by Aquaxo
Don't worry about your A Levels, I read that they don't discriminate so long as the A Levels are mostly 'tough' ones. English Lit would definite be an 'A' category subject, Psych and Art probably 'B' category. Bearing in mind that the list goes down to 'C' subjects, then I wouldn't worry too much. If you get an interview, just make sure you talk about extra reading to show that you are very academic.

If you are worried that they don't suit Law, you might like to know that I take Bio, Econ and History! That is also a 'strange' combination, but I know that each subject gives me a brand new set of skills and way of thinking. If you can argue that your subjects make you pretty well-rounded, then you should be absolutely fine!

Good Luck :-)

Thank you, and good luck! Where have you applied?
guys, has anyone gotten an offer from Oxford yet?
Original post by narine2014
guys, has anyone gotten an offer from Oxford yet?

Are you actually being serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys sorry I'm an international student taking the A levels by myself, could someone tell me what the difference between biology A and biology B is for pearson edexcel? (and beyond the syllabus, does it mean anything?). I simply put Edexcel biology in my application, do they care which one I take?
Original post by rosiehhirrs
I chose Skype, I am little worried it will hurt my chances but I don't know if I would be able to even go on 7 days notice. Also it's a 8 hours flight for me. What are you going to pick?

I picked to fly there even though it would also be an eight hour flight for me. Something always goes wrong for me when I have to do something on skype.
So are we expecting interview offers to start coming out this week?
Original post by chloetraynor
Thank you, and good luck! Where have you applied?

Brasenose :-)
Original post by Faseeh.
Computer Science and Philosophy. What about you mate?

Applying to the same course here:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zephex
Have you gotten an interview offer?

Nooo aha sorry if that sounded like presumptuous, I am pretty sure I won't get an interview
I think it's kind of unlikely that interview e-mails will be sent out this week, but I'm sure at least some people will know by the end of next week.
Original post by Princepieman
Are you actually being serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant invitation to interview
Original post by CJaneH
So are we expecting interview offers to start coming out this week?

For subjects that don't require an aptitude test.

Latest

Trending

Trending