The Student Room Group

Was Uni what YOU expected?

Title kind of says it all. Was Uni what you expected? Has it been similar to what the tv shows/movies show or has it been completely different? Bad or good?

For me it has been completely different. Work wise its good, socially, it sucks.
Reply 1
What uni do you go to?

Mine is completely different for the wrong reasons.

City University has very dismal student life; it makes me feel like a prisoner at times.

The course I'm doing is also very dull and boring.
Everything is as I expected apart from lectures. I thought they would be more engaging, better planned and less...well ****.
Original post by SophieSmall
Everything is as I expected apart from lectures. I thought they would be more engaging, better planned and less...well ****.

So you expected it to be more like school, when university is primarily there to nurture independent learning? :erm:
Original post by Roving Fish
So you expected it to be more like school, when university is primarily there to nurture independent learning? :erm:

Engaging lectures and independent learning are hardly mutually exclusive though? It's not unreasonable to expect the learning that uni does provide to be good quality.
Reply 5
Socially it's really good, people are a lot more friendly and a lot less pretentious than I expected. The work is stupidly crazily hard though probably about double the amount of work I expected and three times harder.
Original post by Roving Fish

No not at all, I prefer the aspect of uni of working independently. But you have to admit some lecturers really are terrible.

I've only had a about 5 lectures in my 3 years here which I would class as decent. The rest have either been read from the slide word for word (blatantly copy and pasted), disjointed bullet points that make very little sense and barely extrapolated on or just a few pictures with a sentence than doesn't make sense here and there. Truly just awful, honestly don't know why I bother to attend them when I learn nothing from them and just walk out frustrated and confused. I learn more from a 10 minute youtube video than in 20 hours a week of uni.
Lol no.
Things in life are never what i expect them to be.
After watching Legally Blonde I thought it would be scary and it kind of is, but not that bad.
Original post by SeanFM
After watching Legally Blonde I thought it would be scary and it kind of is, but not that bad.

That film though.
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
Title kind of says it all. Was Uni what you expected? Has it been similar to what the tv shows/movies show or has it been completely different? Bad or good?

For me it has been completely different. Work wise its good, socially, it sucks.

I thought uni would be all 'toasted paninis and mind altering education'. It wasn't quite like that. Although different, I did enjoy it. Especially the social side.

Quick Reply

Latest