The Student Room Group

Is being fat a form of mental illness?

I would agree that seeking comfort in being overweight would be a form of an abnormal mental state of self awareness.
The eff your beauty standards is an example of the type of fat people that I am referring to, how could you think it is okay to for your body to be in that shape?
How could you even think that being overweight should be considered sexy?
Being fat is plain unnatural, it is a insult to the advancement of humanity.
Some people who are fat have an eating disorder, which is a form of mental illness.
I've seen some dumb threads recently but this has taken the crown. No OP, being fat does not necessarily correlate to having a mental illness. If it was, it'd be considered even more idiotic to ridicule fat people over their weight then it already is. Some overweight/obese people are just lazy.
No one asks to be mentally ill.
Anyone can be fat if they want to.
Lol I don't think many people want to specifically be fat. It just comes with a particular lifestyle - eating more than necessary and not exercising.
Everyone is 'mentally ill' to a degree
Yeah can't be arseditus.
Reply 7
Original post by Kyou
I've seen some dumb threads recently but this has taken the crown. No OP, being fat does not necessarily correlate to having a mental illness. If it was, it'd be considered even more idiotic to ridicule fat people over their weight then it already is. Some overweight/obese people are just lazy.

But you need to understand as I have mentioned a lack of self awareness which can be a mild form of mental illness.
There is a movement called eff your beauty standards that encourages overweight women to be proud of their bodies, I mean google image it.
I am not ridiculing them, but I am just pointing out an observation, a weak defense would be they are lazy, they have a poor diet, but no these are young and healthy people that should not be in the state that they're in.
There is no excuse in being fat or lazy.
Reply 8
My girlfriend is a tad chubby but it's just more cushion for the pushin' lol:smile: She isn't mentaly ill, just fat
Original post by Blue_Mason
But you need to understand as I have mentioned a lack of self awareness which can be a mild form of mental illness.
There is a movement called eff your beauty standards that encourages overweight women to be proud of their bodies, I mean google image it.
I am not ridiculing them, but I am just pointing out an observation, a weak defense would be they are lazy, they have a poor diet, but no these are young and healthy people that should not be in the state that they're in.

I do agree with the stupidity of the fat acceptance movement; you shouldn't promote something which is inherently the cause of thousands of deaths and billions of taxpayers money. I also agree that there's no excuse to be fat because you're just lazy. However, there are many reasons for people being fat, not just gluttony e.g. conditions like underactive thyroid gland or mental illnesses which could lead to being overweight.

I think that's more to do with self-worth. If you're overweight and all you see in the media is model-sized women, you can imagine how low your self-worth might become. That campaign is aimed at showing that all women (applies to men too), no matter what size, are worthy - which is a fair message imo.
Original post by Use Err Name
I think that's more to do with self-worth. If you're overweight and all you see in the media is model-sized women, you can imagine how low your self-worth might become. That campaign is aimed at showing that all women (applies to men too), no matter what size, are worthy - which is a fair message imo.

The average person looks nothing like the people that you see on billboards, so I am not buying that argument.
That campaign is flawed
For some people it very much is, and for others it very much isn't.
I'm fat myself and I would say that it does have a link with being mentally ill (in some cases, not all)... because a normal person wouldn't consume huge amounts of food etc.
But if you're just chubby that's different.
The average person looks nothing like the people that you see on billboards, so I am not buying that argument.
That campaign is flawed

Dunno man, all I know is that if you're happy with how you are then you should be allowed to live the way you live. There's more than enough info and encouragement out there to get people eating and living right, so if somebody doesn't wish to follow it that's their choice and they should be allowed to do so.
Define 'form'
Original post by Use Err Name
Dunno man, all I know is that if you're happy with how you are then you should be allowed to live the way you live. There's more than enough info and encouragement out there to get people eating and living right, so if somebody doesn't wish to follow it that's their choice and they should be allowed to do so.

Happiness is not everything. A person's happiness can be destroyed with knowledge and they can be content with their knowledge over the happiness that they once had.
Yes OP, yes.

Yes, yes and yes.
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed
Happiness is not everything. A person's happiness can be destroyed with knowledge and they can be content with their knowledge over the happiness that they once had.

Fair enough. I mean I agree with more education. You can never be too educated on health. It's just that there must come a time when some overweight people decide that they are happy as they are
No, but I think it depends on the person's eating patterns and behaviours, as well as the reason behind why they are so fat, the reasons behind why they eat so much. They may have distorted views on body image and an abnormal approach to food. Then again, they may just eat too much because they enjoy food and not enjoy exercise and healthy eating x

Quick Reply

Latest