The Student Room Group

How much better is life for "rich" kids?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by scrotgrot
Why is that so? If you are a Christian, poorer people live a far more communitarian life, in keeping with Christian morality about sharing and the family, than everyone else.

I'm mostly talking about the underclass. I don't really consider anybody above that to be poor.
Original post by 41b
I'm mostly talking about the underclass. I don't really consider anybody above that to be poor.

So am I, i.e. those on a household income less than let's say 16 hours on minimum wage, which is also the amount given in JSA to a couple

Unless you are self-defining "the underclass" to mean those who act like the way you insist the underclass act.

Define them in economic terms first rather than foregone conclusions
Original post by 41b

I'm the underclass in many ways now.

If my parents kicked me out and refused to help me, BOOM! Full on benefit lifestyle/homelessness here I come.
Original post by sw651
I consider myself to be a 'rich' kid, and to be honest we are not much better off. Most our parents believe that we should work and earn our way in lives just like they had to, they don't want us to scrounge of their money, but rather make our own fortunes :smile:

You benefit greatly in a non pecuniary way. My parents are upper middle class and never gave me money, but they did read to me, buy me educational stuff, live in a good school catchment area, well fed, few home tensions, blah blah

Do not kid yourself that you have done it all yourself just because you didn't get an allowance
Much better.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'm the underclass in many ways now.

If my parents kicked me out and refused to help me, BOOM! Full on benefit lifestyle/homelessness here I come.

You are so immoral, haven't you heard it's a crime to be poor? I bet you also support the IRA and ISIS
Reply 46
You benefit greatly in a non pecuniary way. My parents are upper middle class and never gave me money, but they did read to me, buy me educational stuff, live in a good school catchment area, well fed, few home tensions, blah blah

Do not kid yourself that you have done it all yourself just because you didn't get an allowance

I was sent to a public school in a rough area, I was adopted at 3 years old, my parents taught me to earn my own way, and many lower/ middle class kids get exactly the same.

I have had a job since 15 and have a far more experience of life than most people.

Don't go making moronic assumptions about my life if you don't know me, I am basing that of my personal experience, and in regard to the 'kid' comment, I am an adult, get real!
You are so immoral, haven't you heard it's a crime to be poor? I bet you also support the IRA and ISIS

I support those Kurdish terrorists more or less ^.^
Original post by sw651
I was sent to a public school in a rough area, I was adopted at 3 years old, my parents taught me to earn my own way, and many lower/ middle class kids get exactly the same.

I have had a job since 15 and have a far more experience of life than most people.

Don't go making moronic assumptions about my life if you don't know me, I am basing that of my personal experience, and in regard to the 'kid' comment, I am an adult, get real!

Well if you lived in a "rough area" particularly I struggle to understand how you can call yourself a "rich kid"

I too have worked since I was 15 although intermittently, the other luxury being able to pick and choose. Most poor kids have to contribute to the household, poverty is cash flow most of the time.

"Kid" was a verb there...
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne

I dunno I'm
Not rich

Ask @queen-bee
Reply 51
Well if you lived in a "rough area" particularly I struggle to understand how you can call yourself a "rich kid"

I too have worked since I was 15 although intermittently, the other luxury being able to pick and choose. Most poor kids have to contribute to the household, poverty is cash flow most of the time.

"Kid" was a verb there...

I went to school in a rough area, I didn't live there.

and so did I, I helped buy food and contributed to bills, mostly out of choice rather than necessity, And cash flow isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Apologies.
Original post by Awesome Genius
I dunno I'm
Not rich

Ask @queen-bee

My parents were rich,both doctors. I want to follow in their footsteps :h:
Original post by queen-bee
My parents were rich,both doctors. I want to follow in their footsteps :h:

Oh nice. Which med skl
Original post by Awesome Genius
Oh nice. Which med skl

Already have an offer from Edinburgh. I wanted to stay in London and study at king's again or UCL this time but I wasn't able to attend my latter interviews because of illness
Original post by Jonny360
Everyone is getting richer. That's Tory Britain for you. Just because the rich may be getting richer at a faster rate doesn't mean things are ****e for the 'poor',

When they cut corp tax for their rich friends then that's Tory Britain for you
A lot better.
Reply 57
Original post by DisguisedToast
People often like to say "but money doesn't buy you happiness!" which, in my opinion, is wrong. I'm from a rich family, and i have friends who are poor, receive benefits etc. and I found that my parents having money did make me happier. My family lives in a big house, with plenty of room (I had my own room growing up, never had to share). If I asked for something at Christmas or Birthday, I'd usually get it. And I'd say I was a happier kid because of it.

HOWEVER, now that I'm living away from home at uni, I've noticed how unprepared I am for life. I'm used to having everything handed to me on a silver platter, so moving away and having to go shopping for myself, and actually spend my own money, was a huge shock to the system. Also, I look at my older sister who is still living at home (age 23). She hasn't spent more than a fortnight away from home, she only pays a small amount of rent to live in a nice house, she doesn't have to boy food, wash her clothes or anything.

So basically, money buys happiness, but also laziness.

I agree , but money doesn't necessarily provide personal happiness
I was a very insecure and depressed child at school , I had alot of mental problems and I often just hated my life.

But yes I was a lazy child and I don't think not having money would make me less depressed , it was just me. Money couldn't change anything.
Are we talking rich kids of instagram rich or just well off?
Reply 59
Original post by hihihihihi
Are we talking rich kids of instagram rich or just well off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In general

Quick Reply

Latest