The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3300
Original post by bruhbruhbruh
Anyone know if pharmacy (MPharm) is considered a masters or not ?

Should be? Although some universities (GKT) have stricter entry requirements on integrated masters than on separate masters as they can be viewed as lesser degrees (although technically they're the same level).
Reply 3301
Original post by YeloSweetPotato
Has anyone submitted an OPEN application to Cambridge? UCAS just sent me an email saying that something has changed for one of my applications and it was the change from open to L (Lucy Cavendish). Got the shock of my life for nothing I guess?

yes, i made an open application and my status changed to L too. but what does that mean? does cambridge consider open applications first separately, and if passed, they assign you to a college? or it means that the college will check now my application?
Original post by Ebuwa
I emailed them and they said psychology does not have enough chemistry content to be considered as a science degree for their GEM course.I pointed out to them that this is not clear on their website. I doubt whether your degree being clinical will have any bearing. You could email them too.

Original post by Googy
I'd assume it's a BSc rather than a BA so should be fine from that perspective however others have said that at least 50% of the degree must be chemistry so I'd email to check what their definition of "Science" is (e.g. someone applied with a BSc in engineering and was told it wasn't considered a science subject for this purpose).

Thanks for the info, I just feel as though I have wasted a choice, every other uni I considered seemed to spell out clearly which degrees are and are not applicable/considered...it's all a learning curve I guess.
Reply 3303
Original post by spasi7
yes, i made an open application and my status changed to L too. but what does that mean? does cambridge consider open applications first separately, and if passed, they assign you to a college? or it means that the college will check now my application?

Maybe they're just balancing the numbers? like if one college has more applicants than the other the open applicants get assigned to the smaller college first?
Reply 3304
Original post by Newnortherner
Thanks for the info, I just feel as though I have wasted a choice, every other uni I considered seemed to spell out clearly which degrees are and are not applicable/considered...it's all a learning curve I guess.

No problem, I think I'm in a similar boat with Swansea, they very clearly say that you need a Merit in an integrated masters but also say you just need to have a masters if it is a standalone degree but have apparently told someone else that the stand alone masters are also subject to the same requirements.

I'm suddenly very nervous about the results of my masters coming out next week,,,,
Original post by Googy
Should be? Although some universities (GKT) have stricter entry requirements on integrated masters than on separate masters as they can be viewed as lesser degrees (although technically they're the same level).

Original post by Googy

GKT ?
I have applied to queen mary,swansea, st george and notts. think any of them will consider it a masters ?
Original post by spasi7

for the GEM all the applications are considered as a whole... you can even aply to wolfson and end up in lucy if wolfson had too many applications
Reply 3307
Original post by Googy
Maybe they're just balancing the numbers? like if one college has more applicants than the other the open applicants get assigned to the smaller college first?

oh man!! i was hoping it meant there were several steps before the interview invitation, and being assigned to one college or another meant passing the first screening..
also because i've checked blogs from previous years and they usually send invitations around the 12th-13th Nov, so if the college has never seen the open applications assigned to them, means they have to make decisions in 2 days!?!?!
Reply 3308
Original post by macarenafc92
for the GEM all the applications are considered as a whole... you can even aply to wolfson and end up in lucy if wolfson had too many applications

so being assigned to a college doesnt mean anything basically? :/
Reply 3309
Original post by bruhbruhbruh
GKT ?
I have applied to queen mary,swansea, st george and notts. think any of them will consider it a masters ?

Sorry, I forget not everyone is familiar with the London med schools.

GKT stands for Guys, Kings and St. Thomas's, which is an old name for KCL medical school still in use by most United Hospitals sports teams (others are RUMS instead of UCL and St. George's Hospital Medical School instead of SGUL). Interesting fact, George's is the only UH school to have maintained its independence.

George's doesn't care about masters, only need a 2:ii but I'd assume they do since they're in the process of starting up a 4 year MSci Biomed, don't know about the other two.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by spasi7

Yeah they may just be getting ready to send out invitations and rejections, as the latter are also sent out by college admissions teams. So I feel it may be tomorrow or Thursday.

Original post by Googy

I know they do that but we both made "open" applications anyway which means that we did not put down any college preference. So pooling to a college was expected but it is a bit weird to be pooled and put into excitement if you will be rejected during the next days haha. Nah was just wondering whether other open applicants got that email too!

---

Oops, the conversation went on faster than me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3311
Original post by YeloSweetPotato
Yeah they may just be getting ready to send out invitations and rejections, as the latter are also sent out by college admissions teams. So I feel it may be tomorrow or Thursday.

I know they do that but we both made "open" applications anyway which means that we did not put down any college preference. So pooling to a college was expected but it is a bit weird to be pooled and put into excitement if you will be rejected during the next days haha. Nah was just wondering whether other open applicants got that email too!

---

Oops, the conversation went on faster than me.

ya it doesnt make sense to be "shortlisted"/assigned to one college 2 weeks before the interview dates. i think they already evaluated our applications and ranked them!
Original post by Newnortherner

KCL replied to say my degree didn't cover enough "hard" science like chemistry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3313
I haven't received any emails from two of my choices; Warwick and Kings (A102). Should I be worried? Not sure whether I was supposed to have received any.
Original post by Fantastic_K
Just got an interview for Cambridge A100! I guess I will think about the funding afterwards....

Any other applicants to the a100?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate to point it out but proof of funding is a condition of offer at both Oxford and Cambridge. A form such as this one:
http://www.corpus.cam.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/old/Financial-Guarantee-Home-and-EU-2015.pdf

has to be filled out and proof documented before your offer turns to unconditional and you can take it up.
Original post by chjw51
I haven't received any emails from two of my choices; Warwick and Kings (A102). Should I be worried? Not sure whether I was supposed to have received any.

King's sent out an email with login details for an Applicant Portal to most people, but upthread there is someone who didn't receive one either and had to email King's to ask them to send this. Apparently this happens sometimes, scroll back through the thread to find it (it wasn't very long ago, either today or yesterday!)

I don't think many (if any!) people have had an email from Warwick, so don't stress!
Original post by chjw51

I dont think any UK applicants have hear from Warwick, but Kings have sent out log ins to their portal, though not everyone has recieved them so it might be worth dropping them an email
Original post by neuronerd
I hate to point it out but proof of funding is a condition of offer at both Oxford and Cambridge. A form such as this one:
http://www.corpus.cam.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/old/Financial-Guarantee-Home-and-EU-2015.pdf

has to be filled out and proof documented before your offer turns to unconditional and you can take it up.

Indeed! For Cambridge GEM last year you had to fill out a financial undertaking form (basically explaining where you are going to get around £80k from), before even attending for interview!
Original post by Fantastic_K
Just got an interview for Cambridge A100! I guess I will think about the funding afterwards....

Any other applicants to the a100?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Cambridge GEM last year you had to fill out a financial undertaking form (basically explaining where you are going to get around £80k from), before even attending for interview!
What college did you apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending