Maths at uni?

hi

do i have to study maths at uni to become a gcse maths teacher

thanks
Original post by iss123
hi

do i have to study maths at uni to become a gcse maths teacher

thanks

I think you do, most secondary teachers have a degree in/related to the subject they teach
(edited 8 years ago)
I asked information about this from many people and no you do NOT need a degree to teach at a secondary school you need a complete maths A level. I also want to become a teacher in mathematics. Wanted to add, obviously having a degree definitely puts you in a better position when applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by swagmister
I think you do, all secondary teachers have a degree in/related to the subject they teach

im going to study accountancy and finance so would that be a related course
Original post by iss123

I had a teacher who was teaching GCE A level Maths and his degree was in History (from Oxford) so that shows you don't need a degree in Maths to be a Maths teacher. Any degree with a lot of Maths such as Economics, Computer Science, Physics and Engineering fields will put you in a good position.
Reply 5
Original post by Raymat
I had a teacher who was teaching GCE A level Maths and his degree was in History (from Oxford) so that shows you don't need a degree in Maths to be a Maths teacher. Any degree with a lot of Maths such as Economics, Computer Science, Physics and Engineering fields will put you in a good position.

ok
thanks
ill probably take accounting and finance
Original post by iss123

That should be fine imo
Reply 7
No. If it's not a STEM degree they'll probably want you to do what's called a 'Subject Knowledge Enhancement' course before you start the PGCE.

I know people who did things like History and Philosophy degrees and masters who for employment reasons, or interest, chose to teach maths. The reasoning and mental rigour from those degrees probably gives you an academic edge if you're at one of the more traditional unis, when it comes to the essays.

Quick Reply

Latest