The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do people deserve benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Just so you know, I didn't want my swearing to be censored. TSR does that automatically.

And I'm sure that my being on benefits means that I know more about the money I receive than you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that why you are so passionate about this topic? Listen, I don't know about your benefits system but I know a tonne about the system, I did a lot of research into it and spoke to my family about it And you have lost the point. I was talking about those who can get jobs or other opportunities but don't because they cannot be bothered.
People under the age of 25 get something like £58 a week that is nothing!!! And if they don't have any kids then tough they will have to live off that amount of money.
However, what truly pisses me of is seeing people who pop out some kids every year then immediately they get
given a house , more money for doing nofinggg!!
The get paid to breed and get over 100% what someone who has no kids get!!
Reply 22
Original post by _icecream
People under the age of 25 get something like £58 a week that is nothing!!! And if they don't have any kids then tough they will have to live off that amount of money.
However, what truly pisses me of is seeing people who pop out some kids every year then immediately they get
given a house , more money for doing nofinggg!!
The get paid to breed and get over 100% what someone who has no kids get!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My sister is 18 and gets £72, even though her boyfriend has job. And that is true completely, I'm all for the system helping people get back on their feet, but just to live off for the rest of their lives?. No.
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

I did say those who are capable of getting jobs, but just decide that they can't bothered

As things stand, people have to agree and sign a 'claimant commitment' with the Jobcentre, which details what they must do to find work in order to continue to claim benefits. If, during the lifetime of the claim, a Jobcentre adviser decides the customer isn't adhering to this agreement then they can raise what's known as a 'doubt', and the case is then referred to a decision maker. If the decision maker agrees with the JCP adviser, the customer will be sanctioned - which means a loss of Jobseekers Allowance - from between 4 weeks up to three years.

So, effectively, people who, as you say, 'can't be bothered' to look for work, do already lose their benefit entitlement.
Reply 24
Original post by slam3000
As things stand, people have to agree and sign a 'claimant commitment' with the Jobcentre, which details what they must do to find work in order to continue to claim benefits. If, during the lifetime of the claim, a Jobcentre adviser decides the customer isn't adhering to this agreement then they can raise what's known as a 'doubt', and the case is then referred to a decision maker. If the decision maker agrees with the JCP adviser, the customer will be sanctioned - which means a loss of Jobseekers Allowance - from between 4 weeks up to three years.

So, effectively, people who, as you say, 'can't be bothered' to look for work, do already lose their benefit entitlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And I agree with that, but many look for jobs and pretend to but don't actually, and so many people defraud the system
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

My sister is 18 and gets £72, even though her boyfriend has job. And that is true completely, I'm all for the system helping people get back on their feet, but just to live off for the rest of their lives?. No.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/what-youll-get
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that can't be right under 25s get £57.90 a week.
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that why you are so passionate about this topic? Listen, I don't know about your benefits system but I know a tonne about the system, I did a lot of research into it and spoke to my family about it And you have lost the point. I was talking about those who can get jobs or other opportunities but don't because they cannot be bothered.

Maybe it's because I hate it when people use their ignorance to demonise a vulnerable group. And don't say you're not ignorant - the fact you are disagreeing with me even though as someone on benefits I know what I get and that bills come out of JSA shows that you would rather hold wrong beliefs and use them to hate then actually learning about the reality.
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

And I agree with that, but many look for jobs and pretend to but don't actually, and so many people defraud the system

So what criteria do you think should be used in order to ascertain whether someone should receive benefits?
Reply 29
Original post by _icecream
Well that can't be right under 25s get £57.90 a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See my point about defrauding people. She has not looked for a job since, and she recently became pregnant and got at £2000 grant fgs!
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

See my point about defrauding people. She has not looked for a job since, and she recently became pregnant and got at £2000 grant fgs!

I am all for cutting benefits completely after the first child if you can't afford to have kids then don't have them. That should teach a lesson to the scroungers living on my road they are completely milking the system 8 f*** kids 2 cars outside their garage and I've just seen them getting a brand new kitchen fitted for free that's madness
No-one "deserves" anything.
Original post by sw651
Personally I believe that if they are able to work they should not get benefits at all, What do you guys think?

You can't run a country based on childish notions of who deserves what. If you don't know them personally, so you don't know what they deserve.
Reply 33
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

£72 Is the bare minimum, they dont pay housing or bills either, £72 is enough to live on, they wouldnt make it that small otherwise. Why do so many have huge tvs and the latest tech, they get additional things too

£72 Is the bare minimum

Exactly. Not more than that !

£72 is enough to live on

Maybe. But only just about.
I do not think I would have been able to rent a living space in London for myself for example, with that amount of money overall.

they dont pay housing or bills either

Really? None of them do ? Well, maybe so, but in my own case when I was receiving my Jobseeker's Allowance, that was ALL I was entitled to (apparently - if there was not something I was not aware of). The state did NOT cover my family's housing costs or any bills. I think I was not entitled to any Housing benefit, for example.

Why do so many have huge tvs and the latest tech

On £ 72 a week ?? .. I am of course happy for those people who do have that (if we agree that they do) but with the money and "entitlements" I personally was getting, I would hardly afford this stuff purely on that. Like I said, the government paid me Nothing else. So I am not in the best position to answer that.

they get additional things too

Well, I am happy for those people if they do. But as my own example shows, certainly not ALL the claimants get those additional things. Otherwise, we would be closer to living in an ideal world than the one we are in fact living in. To be honest, I am not even sure what sort of additional spending money we are talking about here (apart maybe from the Housing benefit / any health benefits - IF indeed some people do get such a combination).

Thanks for your response though.
Reply 34
So what criteria do you think should be used in order to ascertain whether someone should receive benefits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Can they work?
2. If not, why not?
3. How many people in the household?
4. Why are they in the situation in the first place?
Reply 35
Original post by Vlad83
£72 Is the bare minimum

£72 is enough to live on

I do not think I would have been able to rent a living space in London for myself for example, with that amount of money overall.

Really? None of them do ? Well, maybe so, but in my own case when I was receiving my Jobseeker's Allowance, that was ALL I was entitled to (apparently - if there was not something I was not aware of). The state did NOT cover my family's housing costs or any bills. I think I was not entitled to any Housing benefit, for example.

On £ 72 a week ?? .. I am of course happy for those people who do have that (if we agree that they do) but with the money and "entitlements" I personally was getting, I would hardly afford this stuff purely on that. Like I said, the government paid me Nothing else. So I am not in the best position to answer that.

Well, I am happy for those people if they do. But as my own example shows, certainly not ALL the claimants get those additional things. Otherwise, we would be closer to living in an ideal world than the one we are in fact living in. To be honest, I am not even sure what sort of additional spending money we are talking about here (apart maybe from the Housing benefit / any health benefits - IF indeed some people do get such a combination).

I think we need a loan system where they get the money, up to a certain amount, but anymore and it must be paid back when they get a stable job, if they get one sooner, then they get less debt, more motivation, if they dont get a job, then it is slowly reduced

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by StrangeBanana
You can't run a country based on childish notions of who deserves what. If you don't know them personally, so you don't know what they deserve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I misphrased it, please read my other points, I am on my mobile so I cant type my full argument out
Original post by Vlad83
£72 Is the bare minimum

£72 is enough to live on

The amount of council tax benefit someone is entitled to is dependent on the local authority, but that's the only bill people are able to claim. Electricity, water, gas, phone/internet and TV license are all expected to be paid for out of someone's JSA.
Reply 38
Original post by sw651
Personally I believe that if they are able to work they should not get benefits at all, What do you guys think?

What about, for example, the people who worked at the steel works in Redcar? They have been made redundant through no fault of their own. They shouldn't be made destitute because of Chinese dumping on the market.

They need benefits as it is impossible for them all to walk into a new job in a fortnight. They are highly unlikely to get highly paid jobs to support their families.

Wages are also not high enough to live off. This means that we need to support people in order to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
The amount of council tax benefit someone is entitled to is dependent on the local authority, but that's the only bill people are able to claim. Electricity, water, gas, phone/internet and TV license are all expected to be paid for out of someone's JSA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does benefits get affected by region too, because I know what some of family get and they get bills included?

Latest

Trending

Trending