The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can we just fast forward to next season? There's just no point anymore with half of our first XI being out being out of action, our players seem content on keeping Sturridge company by taking turns getting injured...
I don't understand how we can have so many important players injured. It's getting ridiculous now.

Are we just stupidly unlucky or is there something else going on here...
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sakho-scan-results-revealed-liverpool-10418423

No ACL for Sakho, but will see a consultant tomorrow. Ibe will make it v Man City but won't travel with the Eng U21s on Thurs.
Original post by Lúcio
I don't understand how we can have so many important players injured. It's getting ridiculous now.

Words that would make Mourinho proud.
Reply 1644
Original post by Lúcio

we're becoming the new Arsenal :s-smilie: at least they have the squad size to deal with it
Original post by Mackay
Our injury list almost makes a decent XI, you know.

Flanagan, Kolo Toure, Sakho, Gomez
Rossiter, Milner, Henderson
Ings,
Sturridge

Original post by cBay
we're becoming the new Arsenal :s-smilie: at least they have the squad size to deal with it

Toure and Rossiter aren't really bad losses to have, but everybody else being out will significantly hinder us.

Flanagan - promising young talent who showcased his impressive ability during the SAS season.
Gomez - very similar to flanagan (although less proven) and further adding to our fullback issues.
Sakho - our best defender by an absolute mile; we'll struggle hugely without him.
Henderson - our captain who will run all day for Klopp and set a good example for the rest of the team.
Milner - our vice captain who will run all day for Klopp and set a good example for the rest of the team.
Ings - our player of the season before a devastating injury that puts him out of the entire campaign.
Sturridge - our highest quality striker who will bag you a goal and win a game out of absolutely nowhere.

I don't envy Klopp in the slightest.
He couldn't have had a more frustrating squad to deal with and it's a miracle that after 7 games he has 3 wins, 3 draws and only a single loss against our bogey team. He really is top quality management.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sakho's injury isn't as bad as expected, not sure how long he will be out for.

Ibe should be fine for the City game, will just miss the England U21 games.
(edited 8 years ago)
If it's not an ACL it won't be longer than February you'd think. So you would imagine he will play again this season at least.
Positive news relating to Sakho.

We need somebody conducting the back-line and asserting themselves, because Mignolet has no chance of ever being dominant in our box and Sakho is the most forceful personality.

Our defence has a habit of bad decision making. Why on Earth was Firmino tasked with marking the 6 foot 6 Scott Dann yesterday, for instance?
Paul Joyce saying Sakho could be out for 6-8 weeks.
I'll take that, given what we first feared.
Original post by Mackay
I'll take that, given what we first feared.

True it's better than we thought but 6-8 weeks is awful for us.

After city we'll have our hardest games of the season out of the way which is amazing, and we'll have a good run up to Christmas but I'm not confident at all with Skrtel and Lovren as our CBs.
So once we have league football again, we'll have 6 weeks before the January transfer window opens. The obvious question comes to mind - is our current squad good enough to finish top 4 (with Chelsea struggling)?

For me our best starting XI and formation is:

Sturridge*
Firmino Coutinho Milner*
Lucas Henderson
Moreno* Sakho* Skrtel Clyne
Mignolet*

We can then mirror this with what would be my second string line-up

Benteke
Origi? Lallana Ibe
Allen* Can*
Enrique* Lovren Toure* Gomez*
Bogdan

Some notably players on loan: Markovic, Wisdom, Ilori.
What surprises me is how thin our squad can look when you strip some players away.

*Sturridge - too injury prone to rely on
*Milner - potentially unhappy playing out on the flank
*Moreno - too many defensive mistakes to be our long term first choice LB in the future
*Sakho - injury prone?
*Mignolet - not good enough for our ambitions

*Can - for me his best position is box-to-box with fewer defensive responsibilities. Let him be aggressive, press higher and rush around throwing his weight about. Too many brain farts to be a deeper player.
*Allen - for me needs to be sold to have a more responsible DM player with more presence to rotate with Lucas
*Enrique - to be sold in January/next summer
*Toure - to be released next summer as he will be 35
*Gomez/Flanagan - both currently out with long term injuries and not clear how they will recover

The reason why I put Sturridge as my first choice striker is, when fit, he is more clinical, has more pace which matches the strengths of other players in the squad like Coutinho and makes the overall team better. Benteke, for me, showed at the weekend some of his limitations in our side.

I don't think Coutinho and Lallana can/or should play regularly in the same side. They are both facilitators, to make other players better, but they lose a bit of their effectiveness when all the play can't go through them. Coutinho is a class above Lallana so I'd be playing Lallana as the main creative player in the Europa League and Cup sides.

Milner and Ibe can probably be rotated based on form but I think Sturridge/Milner and Benteke/Ibe combinations make more sense since you then have at least some pace in both sets. Perhaps Milner would be better with Benteke since he can cross the ball so well.

Can - is anyone sure what his best position is? We've seen CM, DM, RCB, RB. Some fantastic football but also a lot of brain farts. He likes time on the ball which usually means putting him further back but for me he has too many mistakes (like in the Crystal Palace game) to be relied upon. He might not be a player with the fastest acceleration but I'd like to see him further forward.

Allen is an odd one because he never quite fit into Rodgers squad. Even now you question what his role is or should be. I'd keep him for squad depth till the summer and then look for a DM type replacement. When I say DM I don't just mean a M.Sissokho but we should be looking for another Lucas type player. Someone who knows how to intelligently protect the defence but also can pass the ball. Allen just gets over-run too easily and not as good as Henderson to play that other CM spot.

I think we're missing a winger in the side. Sometimes I do wonder if Moreno could be that pacey left footed winger but since we have no other fullbacks we can't even try that. I'd preferably buy a pacey left winger next summer so we have some options and can switch it around. Would give us Ibe/Markovic for the right flank.

Ibe/Markovic is also another difficult one. Can we really afford to have 2 young pacey wingers who would play in a similar position when neither has quite set the scene on fire yet? Ibe is getting more time with Klopp so maybe we have to let Markovic go, he's not even getting much game time at Fenerbahce..

We're going to struggle with fullbacks this season since we've sent Wisdom on loan and Gomez/Flanagan are out injured. Enrique isn't good enough and probably not even fit enough. Frankly I'd let him go in January and tell him to find any other club.

I'd be tempted to try and find a RB on loan for 6 months? Flanagan will be coming back after Xmas but probably not going to be truly match fit until next season. Gomez out for the season too but looked good. Wisdom could come back next summer too. Surely we can pick one of them to play back-up to Clyne from next season? Makes no sense to buy another RB if we have too many already.

However I want us to buy a LB in January. Moreno, as a light pacey player, will get injured at some point and then we have no cover. I want a more experienced and more defensively minded LB so we have both options at LB.

I think any of Sakho, Lovren and Skrtel could look better if they were next to a great CB like Hyypia. Think how much better Cahill looked last season next to a good John Terry or how good J.Evans could look next to Vidic in the past. Great CBs can make decent CBs look good too. I worry that we won't ever get 50 games a season from Sakho but that is what you need from your star CB. I'd settle on our current 4 for the rest of this season and then release Toure and either find a new experienced CB to play 4th option or keep a promising youngster to fulfill that role. Then I would sell one of Sakho/Lovren and Skrtel and buy a new CB which fits what Klopp wants.

We have to get a replacement for Mignolet in the summer. I don't care if we keep him as second choice since he's only 2 years into a 5 year deal and on 45k a week which isn't cheap but his distribution, kicking, throws, command of the area, leadership etc are terrible and even though he's meant to be a fantastic shot stopper, he doesn't save as much as he should.

I guess to me it feels like there's a lot of work that needs to go into the squad. A lot of if's and buts too though mainly over Sturridge and Sakho.

In the ideal world I'd buy a new CM and a LB in January. Then in the summer we would buy a LW, CB and GK. Is that too much to ask for?
Milner now pulls out of England duty.
Original post by mr tim
Milner now pulls out of England duty.

Wasn't he already injured?
mr tim has turned in to the Grim Reaper of injury announcements.

it gets to the point now where if i see he was the last poster i just don't want to open the thread anymore...
Original post by Zerforax
x

i think you missed Ings :smile:
Original post by Lúcio
mr tim has turned in to the Grim Reaper of injury announcements.

it gets to the point now where if i see he was the last poster i just don't want to open the thread anymore...

They are dropping like flies.

Original post by Lúcio
i think you missed Ings :smile:

I can't decide about Ings. He's not good enough to be first choice but he would be more useful than Origi. That said, he probably has a lower ceiling that other younger players. Shame he's out of the season now too..
Original post by Zerforax
They are dropping like flies.

I can't decide about Ings. He's not good enough to be first choice but he would be more useful than Origi. That said, he probably has a lower ceiling that other younger players. Shame he's out of the season now too..

don't know why :frown:

i think ings is better than people give him credit for.
he really really wants to be on the field and his performances at the start of the season are just a glimpse of what he can show us.

he's never gonna be a world beater but he has good pace and knows where the goal is. If you have a player like Benteke or Sturridge transfixing the defence, ings can slip in for a good chance.
i've seen it a lot from lallana since we bought him but the difference is that ings is much faster and his finishing can be lethal.
Original post by Lúcio
don't know why :frown:

i think ings is better than people give him credit for.
he really really wants to be on the field and his performances at the start of the season are just a glimpse of what he can show us.

he's never gonna be a world beater but he has good pace and knows where the goal is. If you have a player like Benteke or Sturridge transfixing the defence, ings can slip in for a good chance.
i've seen it a lot from lallana since we bought him but the difference is that ings is much faster and his finishing can be lethal.

Just unlucky I guess. Don't think Klopp has been here long enough for it to be his fault.

Well Ings is a good player which is fine but he's not that top quality which is regularly going to win us games out of nothing. We have to many holes in the rest of the team to carry him.

Latest