The Student Room Group

What subjects are you all doing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WithoutMuchHope
I'm in sixth year doing AH Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English. I wonder why, too.

Perhaps you are seeking for a career as a (natural) scientist? the combination of your subjects seems to be ideal.
Reply 21
Original post by slothonist
I did higher chemistry too but I still found it difficult lol.. but then again, chemistry wasn't my strongest subject so I'm sure you'll be fine xD
Yes, advanced higher builds on knowledge from higher, so its mostly to do with plants and animals. You might find it a bit difficult but seeing as you've done nat 5, you should be able to pick it up quite easily so don't worry about it :smile:
In general, the difference between doing a higher and an advanced higher is that in higher, the teacher spoonfeeds you the information you need to know, and you basically just go away and memorise it, then regurgitate it in the exam :tongue:
Whereas, in advanced higher the teacher will supply you with basic notes and briefly go over them (because they'll assume that you know it from higher). There will be the expectation that you'll be going over the notes in more detail in your own time and self studying. If you don't understand something ask the teacher in the next lesson so that they go over it, otherwise they will just assume that you understand it and skip the topic. Also, homework is usually kept to a minimum.
For biology, you need to do your investigation/project which will involve a write up. I think it counts for about 25% of your final grade :/
Hope that all makes sense :biggrin:
Lol its okay! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask:smile:

Yeah, so far im doing okay with Higher Chemistry, the first unit was mostly all theory and im good at that kind of stuff, but we're in the middle of the unit on Chemistry in Society and thats all about calculations so im kind of struggling with that :/ oh, well my teacher teaches us from powerpoints that he made from the James Torrance Higher Human Biology book, and tells us that whats in the powerpoints is only minimum of what we need and that we should buy the book and get more information so i guess Advanced Higher wont be such a shock to me :biggrin: are you not scared that you'll miss out on any important notes since you have to get them yourself? oh, so you have to actually do the experiment for the write up at that level? i was never too keen on experiments haha xD anyway, good luck :smile:
Original post by bb208
Yeah, so far im doing okay with Higher Chemistry, the first unit was mostly all theory and im good at that kind of stuff, but we're in the middle of the unit on Chemistry in Society and thats all about calculations so im kind of struggling with that :/ oh, well my teacher teaches us from powerpoints that he made from the James Torrance Higher Human Biology book, and tells us that whats in the powerpoints is only minimum of what we need and that we should buy the book and get more information so i guess Advanced Higher wont be such a shock to me :biggrin: are you not scared that you'll miss out on any important notes since you have to get them yourself? oh, so you have to actually do the experiment for the write up at that level? i was never too keen on experiments haha xD anyway, good luck :smile:

Sounds like your teacher is preparing you for advanced higher lol xD
Mm not really, Scholar has all of the notes I need if I miss any.. and I'm a total geek so I literally trawl through science journals and articles to get extra information :tongue:
You don't have to do an experiment, you can go through secondary sources on the internet and use someone else's data and then do your write up but my teacher thinks its better to do your own experiment and use your own results... I hate doing experiments too so I'm really not looking forward to it :s-smilie:
Thank you, good luck with your highers!:smile:
Reply 23
Original post by slothonist
Sounds like your teacher is preparing you for advanced higher lol xD
Mm not really, Scholar has all of the notes I need if I miss any.. and I'm a total geek so I literally trawl through science journals and articles to get extra information :tongue:
You don't have to do an experiment, you can go through secondary sources on the internet and use someone else's data and then do your write up but my teacher thinks its better to do your own experiment and use your own results... I hate doing experiments too so I'm really not looking forward to it :s-smilie:
Thank you, good luck with your highers!:smile:

Yeah, my teacher really encourages us to use Scholar too, but to be honest, i dont find it that helpful because the terminology seems too different and as if it's a different level of work, i usually just stick to answering questions from the book that i mentioned earlier and doing past papers :smile: you too! :smile:
I'm doing A2 Biology, Chemistry, and Geography, but I did AS Maths last year in addition. Is it just me that finds anything apart from geography hard, especially chemistry?
I'm in S6 and I'm doing AH chemistry, biology, maths and physics :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
Perhaps you are seeking for a career as a (natural) scientist? the combination of your subjects seems to be ideal.

I've applied to one uni for that degree course, yes. I'm particularly interested in the theoretical, mathematical and philosophical sides of science the most.

Original post by wordshark
How's your English going? What are your dissertation texts? What texts are you doing for the exam? Is English as little work at your school as it is in ours. All we literally do is watch movies, read plays and read books.

It's going quite well. English does have less work, but I think a lot of it is about independent study. For my dissertation I did Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility and my first draft of that is nearly finished. For our texts in class we've studied the poetry of Shelley, and have just started Hamlet. We'll also study King Lear later in the year, too. How about you?
I've applied to one uni for that degree course, yes. I'm particularly interested in the theoretical, mathematical and philosophical sides of science the most.
(...)

And what about the practial aspects? if you are interest in theoretical, mathematical and philosophical sides of sciences, start a career as a theoretical physicist. :smile:

It's going quite well. English does have less work, but I think a lot of it is about independent study. For my dissertation I did Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility and my first draft of that is nearly finished. For our texts in class we've studied the poetry of Shelley, and have just started Hamlet. We'll also study King Lear later in the year, too. How about you?

For the dissertation I'm doing brave new world and 1984 (a bit overdone but I'm the only one in my class that actually enjoys what their reading). We're doing three Oscar Wilde plays (lady windermeres fan, an ideal husband, and the importance of being earnest). We're also doing the great gatsby (third year running yay.....) and some other Fitzgerald novel I can't remember. I think for the folio I'm going to stick with discursive/persuasive/argumentative for both essays as I'm crap at creative writing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending