The Student Room Group

Need TLC around lost job :( :(

Last summer (January to July), I worked for an events promoter as seasonal staff. I loved it, but they had to get rid of me when the season ended. They told me in August I could come back in October when the season started again.

Early October they sent me a message saying they'd be putting in the first intake in two to three weeks time. I heard nothing until today when I asked them for an update. They said "Unfortunately we're only taking new people this year".

But you TOLD me I could come back! I just feel so rubbish. There was a guy at the job I liked, I loved the job itself- I don't really have a job now as I was waiting for this one to start..

There must be some positives :frown:
Original post by mulberry1
Last summer (January to July), I worked for an events promoter as seasonal staff. I loved it, but they had to get rid of me when the season ended. They told me in August I could come back in October when the season started again.

Early October they sent me a message saying they'd be putting in the first intake in two to three weeks time. I heard nothing until today when I asked them for an update. They said "Unfortunately we're only taking new people this year".

But you TOLD me I could come back! I just feel so rubbish. There was a guy at the job I liked, I loved the job itself- I don't really have a job now as I was waiting for this one to start..

There must be some positives :frown:

That really sucks, especially as you enjoyed your job and were looking forward to going back!

I like to think that everything happens for a reason, so try to look at this situation in that way.
Perhaps this is an opportunity to focus on another career? Is there something else you would like to focus on? :smile:
i hope you enjoy looking at your lovely new rep

:hugs:
Reply 3
I guess it will push me to get a better job than events rep but just feel rubbish- I was so looking forward to the Christmas season :frown:

And I'm so tempted to beg. It was my agency that gave me the bad news not the company itself so maybe they just meant in general and could fit me in? I'll let it go no worries :wink:
Reply 4
And I'm so tempted to beg.
Then do it.

It was my agency that gave me the bad news
Aha! Bet they're lying. Recruitment agencies are Grade A self-serving toe-rags.

Have you turned 18 since then? It might be the agency don't want to pay the higher minimum wage for an 18 year old and want the bigger margin for themselves.

Beg the company, not the agency. It is the agency rejected you, so you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending