The Student Room Group

Should you learn life skills in school?

I was debating with two students from America and the debate was the significance of subjects taught here in the uk vs there. They think that you should be taught life skills; such as how to pay mortgages, bills, car payments etc in school compared to subjects that will not affect them in the future. One of them wants to do business and stated she does not need biology to do business or learn how to do equations in maths but instead should be taught life skills. I agreed with the fact that you should be taught on what you want to do but you shouldn't go to school to learn how to pay mortgages/bills because that's something that your parents can teach you. but one of them replied with the fact that there is no law that your parents SHOULD teach you so they shouldn't have to but teachers who get paid should? Also that parents are just there to feed you, give you a house. what do you guys think? i can't cope with two v 1
Original post by Michaelj99
I was debating with two students from America and the debate was the significance of subjects taught here in the uk vs there. They think that you should be taught life skills; such as how to pay mortgages, bills, car payments etc in school compared to subjects that will not affect them in the future. One of them wants to do business and stated she does not need biology to do business or learn how to do equations in maths but instead should be taught life skills. I agreed with the fact that you should be taught on what you want to do but you shouldn't go to school to learn how to pay mortgages/bills because that's something that your parents can teach you. but one of them replied with the fact that there is no law that your parents SHOULD teach you so they shouldn't have to but teachers who get paid should? Also that parents are just there to feed you, give you a house. what do you guys think? i can't cope with two v 1

I definitely think life skills should be taught in schools throughout a child's life (not a 2 hour session once that they'll forget instantly).

In our economy most parents are working and don't have as much time as they may have done in the past to teach their kids everything their parents may have taught them. While people can argue til the cows come home that it's the parent's responsibility, it doesn't change the fact that either way this is something every new generation needs to learn ...and in my experience it's something most of my generation definitely don't seem to have been taught by anyone.

The amount of students in university who:

- don't understand how their overdraft works
-don't understand basic cooking techniques
-cannot use a washing machine
-don't understand how to budget
-don't understand how taxes work
-don't have a clue what credit history is or why it's important
-don't understand how to use their bank account
-don't understand binding legal contracts (this one affects a lot of uni students with accommodation messes)
-don't know how to set up or pay bills
-etc

It's shocking and something needs to be done about it, because with this ignorance comes problems. you get young people getting into serious no frills debt because they don't understand the consequences of their actions. Or have their credit history shattered before they even turn 20 and it is hard to climb back up. Granted adults should take responsibility for their actions, but it would be much better avoided if they were just taught continuously from a young age rather than thrust in at the deep end. While I usually agree that in a lot of cases it's good to learn from mistakes, these types of issues are not ones I think should have mistakes made in them as they can have serious repercussions for years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
I definitely think life skills should be taught in schools throughout a child's life (not a 2 hour session once that they'll forget instantly).

In our economy most parents are working and don't have as much time as they may have done in the past to teach their kids everything their parents may have taught them. While people can argue til the cows come home that it's the parent's responsibility, it doesn't change the fact that either way this is something every new generation needs to learn ...and in my experience it's something most of my generation definitely don't seem to have been taught by anyone.

-don't understand binding legal contracts (this one affects a lot of uni students with accommodation messes)
-etc

It's shocking and something needs to be done about it, because with this ignorance comes problems. you get young people getting into serious no frills debt because they don't understand the consequences of their actions. Or have their credit history shattered before they even turn 20 and it is hard to climb back up. Granted adults should take responsibility for their actions, but it would be much better avoided if they were just taught continuously from a young age rather than thrust in at the deep end. While I usually agree that in a lot of cases it's good to learn from mistakes, these types of issues are not ones I think should have mistakes made in them as they can have serious repercussions for years.

Treat the disease, not the symptom.

People are always saying this about the younger generation since the dawn of time. We're all still here.
:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Treat the disease, not the symptom.

People are always saying this about the younger generation since the dawn of time. We're all still here.
:smile:

While I agree, you can do both.
No sense in ignoring the symptoms in the mean time as treating the disease will take a long time. Teaching kids life skills doesn't take anywhere near as long. They still need the information in the mean time.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall

-etc

I agree with that, some parents don't have time but they've taught you basic life skills throughout growing up and still will teach you. Event though parents are at work sometimes it is the childs responsibility to go and find out things for yourself and be independent. you don't get spoon fed everything. Teachers are there to teach something you don't know, yes you don't know how to pay mortgages however that's something that can easily be done. Cooking, using a washing machine, budgets are things you've seen as you grow up.
Original post by Michaelj99
I agree with that, some parents don't have time but they've taught you basic life skills throughout growing up and still will teach you. Event though parents are at work sometimes it is the childs responsibility to go and find out things for yourself and be independent. you don't get spoon fed everything. Teachers are there to teach something you don't know, yes you don't know how to pay mortgages however that's something that can easily be done. Cooking, using a washing machine, budgets are things you've seen as you grow up.

Depends on the child. Not everyone will have seen these things. And that was the point I made in my post. Whether or not it should be taught at home is irrelevant when you look at the evidence that it clearly isn't being taught at home. Some kids will come from a family that literally just eats ready meals and takeaways, parents who are in debt and can't budget to save their life and some households don't even have a washing machine. How are they mean to learn that from their household? I think to look at this issue you need to understand that not every household is the same and not every child has the same opportunities or resources available to them outside of school.

Fact of the matter is, these are skills that NEED to be learnt one way or another. So why not make it so that every child learns these things sooner rather than later when it may be too late and they're in trouble?

"it is the child's responsibility to go and find out things for yourself and be independent."

At what point does this become the way it should be? At the age of 10? 12? 16? You could take that same stance with a lot of subjects in school. Many of them in theory could easily be self taught. So why is this subject not as important? Despite the fact it is one that WILL be used for the rest of their lives.

It's also important to note that children are easily moulded to believe what they are told, and sometimes throwing them in at the deep end and expecting them to learn important life long skills from the internet may not be the best idea. You just have to take one look at some appalling advice on money advice forums to see that expecting them to gather information that way can be harmful. Is it not best for someone qualified, experienced and who knows what they are talking about to teach them? Not someone with a PhD from google and a bad credit history they are keeping quiet because they don't understand the advice they're giving themselves.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending