The Student Room Group

Audiology students and newly qualified

I just wanted to know what the course is like
1) do you have maths if yes how hard
2) what subjects such as chemistry maths, physics biology do you learn more in
3 If your qualified how long did it take you to find a job is there a lot of demand
4) is the course manageable as in how hard it is, or is it beyond stressful
what university did you guys go to?

Thanks guys xoxoo :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Sunset12
I just wanted to know what the course is like
1) do you have maths if yes how hard
2) what subjects such as chemistry maths, physics biology do you learn more in
3 If your qualified how long did it take you to find a job is there a lot of demand
4) is the course manageable as in how hard it is, or is it beyond stressful
what university did you guys go to?

Thanks guys xoxoo :biggrin:

Hi, I'm a first year Audiology student at Southampton.

1) There is a module this year on Basic Physics, Acoustics, Optics and Instrumentation. We are still in the early days of this, but so far it has needed an understanding of trig, Pythagoras and logs. No doubt more Maths will come into it later. The lecturer is being very gentle with introducing the Maths, as some people haven't done any Maths or Physics since GCSE and are somewhat nervous about it, and she is insuring that no-one gets left behind.

2) Not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean which of these is there most of in the course? If so, most Biology so far, but that's because there is a module about anatomy and physiology this semester and we are ploughing through the entire human body at a rate of knots. The emphasis might change as we go on though.

3) I'm obvs not qualified, but from what I hear from this and other unis, graduates often have a number of job offers before they graduate, often at where they were for their placements.

4) I'm finding it manageable so far, although I will be mighty glad when the anatomy and pathology module finishes at Christmas as there is much memorising facts (which is not my strong point), whereas the other modules seem to be more reflective and need you to apply your understanding (which I'm much happier with). There are a number of assessments coming in, due before the Christmas break, which is upping the pressure a little, but not too much so far. After Christmas we have two weeks' taster placement, which will change the emphasis for a while. (Other unis have very different timings for placements.)
Reply 2
Original post by ayeeel
Hi, I'm a first year Audiology student at Southampton.

1) There is a module this year on Basic Physics, Acoustics, Optics and Instrumentation. We are still in the early days of this, but so far it has needed an understanding of trig, Pythagoras and logs. No doubt more Maths will come into it later. The lecturer is being very gentle with introducing the Maths, as some people haven't done any Maths or Physics since GCSE and are somewhat nervous about it, and she is insuring that no-one gets left behind.

2) Not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean which of these is there most of in the course? If so, most Biology so far, but that's because there is a module about anatomy and physiology this semester and we are ploughing through the entire human body at a rate of knots. The emphasis might change as we go on though.

3) I'm obvs not qualified, but from what I hear from this and other unis, graduates often have a number of job offers before they graduate, often at where they were for their placements.

4) I'm finding it manageable so far, although I will be mighty glad when the anatomy and pathology module finishes at Christmas as there is much memorising facts (which is not my strong point), whereas the other modules seem to be more reflective and need you to apply your understanding (which I'm much happier with). There are a number of assessments coming in, due before the Christmas break, which is upping the pressure a little, but not too much so far. After Christmas we have two weeks' taster placement, which will change the emphasis for a while. (Other unis have very different timings for placements.)

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest