The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cowie
I'm quite worried as I have yet to be asked to do the task (or have had any response apart from the recognition of my application being received) from UCL? Has anyone else not been emailed about the task etc? and perhaps why might this be?

I think you should call or email them! I'm sure you meet the entry requirements so it'd be good to just remind them of your application.
Original post by JianW
Got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday! ABB. Im also applying to Cambridge, Bath, Cardiff and UCL.

How's the UCL Task coming along?! Anybody called for interview yet?

Hey would you mind me asking what your predicted/achieved and the subject you're doing?:tongue: does anyone know under what circumstances would edinburgh lower the offer?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by Grewsters
Because your portfolio should really be based around your interests it's not uncommon for everything in it to be centred around a common theme. Many interests may mean that everything is different however. As for the processes images, only show it if you have something significant to say about it. I showed both a final piece and the initial sketches because my sketches clearly showed how the final piece was linked to maths. (hard to explain)
I just think you need to be a lot more relaxed with it because there is no right or wrong and they're definitely not expecting everyone's to be the same.
The only thing that should be seen in everyone's portfolios is a broad range of subject matter/mediums and a sense of creativity and ingenuity. (or anything specified by the uni)
Definitely apply to Bath if you're interested in it because your grades aren't a long way off. Just make sure you have back ups and you'll be fine.

That's really helpful thank you!
Reply 43
Original post by cowie
I'm quite worried as I have yet to be asked to do the task (or have had any response apart from the recognition of my application being received) from UCL? Has anyone else not been emailed about the task etc? and perhaps why might this be?

I didn't get the task request for a couple weeks after I applied. I sent it off yesterday! A bit nervous about whether it was good enough.
Reply 44
Original post by aiphoszh
I didn't get the task request for a couple weeks after I applied. I sent it off yesterday! A bit nervous about whether it was good enough.

Well best of luck! Trouble is, is I sent mine off on the 11th of October...
Reply 45
Has anyone done/ is doing the portfolio for Sheffield Architecture?
Reply 46
Original post by cowie

Submitted mine about 2 weeks ago and then a day later I realised I had forgot to include my UCAS ID. I've emailed the uni twice but still got no reply. I'm just assuming I've been discounted:/// But surely because I sent it online they must know who I am??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Grewsters
Submitted mine about 2 weeks ago and then a day later I realised I had forgot to include my UCAS ID. I've emailed the uni twice but still got no reply. I'm just assuming I've been discounted:/// But surely because I sent it online they must know who I am??

I wouldn't worry about being discounted - I had a similar situation with Cardiff. I emailed them too with no response, but when I called they assured me they had it and were happy with it all. If in doubt, maybe give their Architecture admissions a call?

I've applied for Bath, Edinburgh, Cardiff, UCL and Sheffield with no offers yet. Should I be getting worried as I'm seeing Edinburgh have made some offers?
Reply 48
So I called UCL this morning regarding the lack of response and apparently there was a technical problem in emailing me.. I've now have received it, but I have no idea how long it could have gone if I hadn't contacted them..
Make sure you contact any universities with any queries!
Hellooo!! Hope applications are going well for everyone!

Just wanted to see whether anyone has applied and heard from Bath?

I've applied to Cambridge (Emmanuel), UCL, Edinburgh and Bath (with another choice open on UCAS - any suggestions btw? :smile:).
I'm taking the IB with HL Physics, Geography, English (and SL Art!), HLs are at 776.
Original post by cowie

I completed it and sent it off two weeks ago! :biggrin:
I am predicted A*AA in Philosophy, Art and Geography, I've applied to University of Sheffield {no response yet}, Bath {no response yet}, University of Lincoln {Unconditional offer} and University of Derby -Insurance- {conditional offer}.

Sheffield is the one I really want to go to and I am really desperate for a response form them but I havent heard of anyone having any offers off of them yet? :s-smilie:
Reply 52
Original post by hieveryonexd
Hellooo!! Hope applications are going well for everyone!

Just wanted to see whether anyone has applied and heard from Bath?

I've applied to Cambridge (Emmanuel), UCL, Edinburgh and Bath (with another choice open on UCAS - any suggestions btw? :smile:).
I'm taking the IB with HL Physics, Geography, English (and SL Art!), HLs are at 776.

Reading last years architecture offer thread and it looks like Bath was as late as Jan/Feb://
I'm just about to deactivate my TSR account. I used it all of last year to talk through application things with people, but now I guess I'm done with it!

I'm a first year at the Bartlett now... and just wanted to say, before I go, good luck and here's some advice:

Find out why you truly and viscerally want to go into architecture, so that admissions people think of you as a memorable human being with some actual fundamental substance-
1) Who are you as a person (interests etc...outside of 'architecture' )
2) What is your purpose in life (what do you want to be in the world....outside of 'architecture' )
3) Why will architecture help you achieve that (non BS) purpose
4) Why will that particular school help you achieve point 3

From there, prioritise a very thematic and personal portfolio visually manifesting those points above; and make sure, in its foundations, that its predominantly spatial in its content.

Engage the interviewer at interviews and don't pretentiously BS your way though; embrace the theme and manifesto your portfolio is visually conveying.

Have opinions and speculations of your own, but be hugely considerate and open minded with other opinions out there.

Read books that you actually enjoy, even if they're not what you perceive to be 'completely' architectural, yet be aware of how they're architecturally relevant.

Keep organised and have digital folders for each university of all the bits and bobs they want from you, dates of things, university ethos's, requirements etc.

For those of you also applying abroad, specifically the USA, then organisation is key so keep these folders regularly updated so that you can spend your time on portfolio and not too much time worrying about SAT's, financial aid and stuff like that- because there is a HUGE amount of application items and research needed for the US.

For those of you trying for the Bartlett, all of the above applies, but here's some task advice:

The task helps the interviewer understand how you'll respond to year 1 project 1. Be prepared to discuss the task in great detail at interview.

Use RELEVANT media. It may be a 'drawing'...but don't be afraid to use media which ACCURATELY discusses something you're trying to convey. This isn't the time for wacky and irrelevant experimentation...because that doesn't exist anymore. Experimentation massively still exists, but it must be thoughtful and considered. Be considerate with your media. The Bartlett may be 'artsy' but actually it's absolutely serious about its contextually relevant and considered approaches to design and work. If you don't have a reason which opens up a discussion about why you've applied certain line, texture, weighting, tone, colour etc on a certain part of the drawing then they won't bother with considering you as a serious thinker. What you've represented should explain itself, so don't write essays. You will have time to concisely explain your thoughts at interview. In any case, the drawing should be an essay in itself. Don't draw a pretty bridge if it's not relevant to the brief. If the brief is 'draw an in-between moment' (I have no idea what they're asking you guys this year) then actually think about what that means. DOES it mean, easily and simply, 'door threshold'? Or CAN it mean 'getting out of a chair'? They want to know that you really think about your body in space, and what it means to transition and behave in space. DO NOT be pictorial. A really 'good drawing' is not one that looks like a photograph, because guess what, a photograph does a better job than that drawing ever will. But what can you convey in drawing that you never will be able to through a photograph? Nobody cares about how well you can photo-realistically draw your family member sitting in a chair. That's easy and requires no thought- because you just draw it so that it looks like what you see... But people do care about what you can analytically see in your family member sitting in that chair: how the chair morphs and supports your body weight, the pressure through certain limbs, the duration of the sitting, the way they sit in this chair differently to another chair; the language of body posture as they get up or sit down....

Good luck and keep perspective
Ohh, that'll take a while then... was hoping to get a response earlier since I got rejected by UCL and I'm not feeling very confident about Cambridge :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by blinkofaneyee
Hey would you mind me asking what your predicted/achieved and the subject you're doing?:tongue: does anyone know under what circumstances would edinburgh lower the offer?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing physics, math, history and economics with predicted grades of A*A*A*A in that order. No Art!! That's got me worried, but at least I did do art at O Levels. :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by Fatini999

Good luck and keep perspective

Thanks for all the help and advice!
Reply 57
Original post by cowie

I'm doing the task at the moment and I have prepared my portfolio so will send it off next week.
Reply 58
Got an offer from Sheffield last night for AAA! Handed in my application/portfolio around Oct 10th so it took a while. Anyone else??
Reply 59
Does everybody receive a portfolio request? Or is there a process of elimination based on personal statements before the requests go out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending