The Student Room Group

Can an opinion be right or wrong?

I suppose in can be wrong if it s based on criteria that is wrong.

But can an opinion ever be 100% correct?

Scroll to see replies

Opinions are subjective, no objectivity involved.
Neither, it'll be subjective.
An opinion that is 100% true is a fact.
Original post by samina_ay

wheeey girl you beat me to it :rofl:
Reply 5
Not right/wrong but you can certainly have a misinformed opinion.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
wheeey girl you beat me to it :rofl:

LOOL great minds think alike :wink:
I think not. You can have a misinformed opinion but otherwise, you're stating a truth... I don't know.
Reply 8

Neither, it'll be subjective.

So does that mean you could have an opinion that is cruel i.e. (Black/gays etc don't deserve any rights) and objectively you would not be wrong for saying that.
Original post by Eggs20
So does that mean you could have an opinion that is cruel i.e. (Black/gays etc don't deserve any rights) and objectively you would not be wrong for saying that.

if your opinion has no evidence to support it, it's invalid haha. Meaning your opinion doesn't mean anything.
Original post by Eggs20

who is it to decide whether it's a fact? The person whose opinion says that they do or they don't, therefore you wouldn't know if their opinion is right or wrong.
Reply 11
if your opinion has no evidence to support it, it's invalid haha. Meaning your opinion doesn't mean anything.

So have an opinion that everyone deserves right doesn't mean anything either
Reply 12
who is it to decide whether it's a fact? The person whose opinion says that they do or they don't, therefore you wouldn't know if their opinion is right or wrong.

Sp you saying that every opinion doesn't mean anything?
Yes, in certain cases - if the opinion can be backed up via stats. Eg In football, IMO X player is better than Y. You can compare stats to come to a reasonable conclusion.
Original post by Eggs20
I suppose in can be wrong if it s based on criteria that is wrong.

But can an opinion ever be 100% correct?

I think this depends on what you mean by ‘right’ and ‘wrong’. If right/wrong = true false, then no, because opinions are not facts. If you mean right/wrong = ‘good’/’bad’ = valuable/not valuable, then yes, people always assert that an opinion can be right or wrong. However, whether this can be stated as anything other than an individually subjective assertion will be down to whether the two opposing speakers can agree on (i) the measure of ‘value’ in their particular instance, and (ii) where ideas fall relative to each other on that measure. Since ‘value’ is not factual however, I can’t think of any case where value can be objective (and that statement assumes that facts can be perceived objectively), so that the assertion that the opinion is right or wrong cannot always hold.
An opinion can be popular, or unpopular
Original post by Eggs20
Sp you saying that every opinion doesn't mean anything?

Eh, in some sort of way yes.

Personal and subjective opinions can in no way be used to create truthful, social facts.

That's most likely what happens in this country though lmao
Original post by Eggs20
So have an opinion that everyone deserves right doesn't mean anything either

that's an opinion which can be supported by fact, so it becomes objective.
Reply 18
Original post by Fiduciam
Yes, in certain cases - if the opinion can be backed up via stats. Eg In football, IMO X player is better than Y. You can compare stats to come to a reasonable conclusion.

But what if two people can't come to an agreement on what is reasonable stats?
Reply 19
Original post by Nolofinwë
I think this depends on what you mean by ‘right’ and ‘wrong’. If right/wrong = true false, then no, because opinions are not facts. If you mean right/wrong = ‘good’/’bad’ = valuable/not valuable, then yes, people always assert that an opinion can be right or wrong. However, whether this can be stated as anything other than an individually subjective assertion will be down to whether the two opposing speakers can agree on (i) the measure of ‘value’ in their particular instance, and (ii) where ideas fall relative to each other on that measure. Since ‘value’ is not factual however, I can’t think of any case where value can be objective (and that statement assumes that facts can be perceived objectively), so that the assertion that the opinion is right or wrong cannot always hold.

So what you saying is an opinion can't be right or wrong in objective terms.

Quick Reply

Latest