The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,Slightly confusing, worrying situation here. I'm on Gedarel and the week after my period I had sex with my boyfriend a few times, and had forgotten to take my pill (or I took it 12 hours after the normal time). So there is a very slim chance that I could be pregnant.I'm assuming that any signs would be too early to tell right now. I know it's such a slim chance, but I want to just make 100% sure that I'm not pregnant. I finish my 21 pills next Sunday, but my period doesn't usually start until the Thursday. As you're not supposed to take a pregnancy test until 4 days before your period is due, do I take it 4 days before I finish the pack of pills or 4 days before I usually expect my period? Thanks everyone!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,Slightly confusing, worrying situation here. I'm on Gedarel and the week after my period I had sex with my boyfriend a few times, and had forgotten to take my pill (or I took it 12 hours after the normal time). So there is a very slim chance that I could be pregnant.I'm assuming that any signs would be too early to tell right now. I know it's such a slim chance, but I want to just make 100% sure that I'm not pregnant. I finish my 21 pills next Sunday, but my period doesn't usually start until the Thursday. As you're not supposed to take a pregnancy test until 4 days before your period is due, do I take it 4 days before I finish the pack of pills or 4 days before I usually expect my period? Thanks everyone!

You can take a pregnancy test around 3 weeks after un protected sex (generally some say 2 weeks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous - yeah, as PandaWho says - 3 weeks after unprotected intercourse to be certain/if you have irregular cycles. But in practice if your periods are regular then the day you're due or a day after the results should be quite accurate. I've always tested early & get positives at about 10DPO (or 4 days before period due) when pregnant.

However, the bleed you get from a pill free interval is more a withdrawal than a period so doesn't relate to ovulation timing in the same way as a natural period does - so 2-3 weeks after the sex would probably be a better option than day bleeding due.
It's a combined pill though & sounds like you haven't missed any doses & have been less than 12 hours late - so the chances of levels getting low enough to suddenly release an egg and then get pregnant are quite slim. Although if you're worried about forgetting would another method like the injection/implant or a coil be a better option for you?

Original post by randdom
The constant text messages asking me if I had any news when I was a week overdue... Yes I had the baby two weeks ago but just decided not to tell anyone... I will tell you when I want to tell you!

Pleased to avoid all that by a 37 weeker first child! :biggrin:

& hoping to just twin-bomb people (planning on not telling about the multiple complication apart from Grandparents a few weeks before) after an uneventful elective C-section at 37-38/40 this time round - out of the first trimester now, whooo, but we'll see... :ninjagirl:

Hygeia

Buying a house sounds like enough to keep you occupied! That's my plan for post CCT/pre proper mat leave too...

Have you packed hospital bag/washed some baby clothes & figured out the pram/cot etc. yet? I also spent my mat leave having massages & aromatherapy etc. which I'd recommend!

So - I have cracked back open the maternity clothes from the loft. Which is slightly shameful - but objectively my uterus is a few cm below umbilicus already! :eek: >>> :elefant:
Anonymous - yeah, as PandaWho says - 3 weeks after unprotected intercourse to be certain/if you have irregular cycles. But in practice if your periods are regular then the day you're due or a day after the results should be quite accurate. I've always tested early & get positives at about 10DPO (or 4 days before period due) when pregnant.

However, the bleed you get from a pill free interval is more a withdrawal than a period so doesn't relate to ovulation timing in the same way as a natural period does - so 2-3 weeks after the sex would probably be a better option than day bleeding due.
It's a combined pill though & sounds like you haven't missed any doses & have been less than 12 hours late - so the chances of levels getting low enough to suddenly release an egg and then get pregnant are quite slim. Although if you're worried about forgetting would another method like the injection/implant or a coil be a better option for you?

& hoping to just twin-bomb people (planning on not telling about the multiple complication apart from Grandparents a few weeks before) after an uneventful elective C-section at 37-38/40 this time round - out of the first trimester now, whooo, but we'll see... :ninjagirl:

Buying a house sounds like enough to keep you occupied! That's my plan for post CCT/pre proper mat leave too...

Have you packed hospital bag/washed some baby clothes & figured out the pram/cot etc. yet? I also spent my mat leave having massages & aromatherapy etc. which I'd recommend!

So - I have cracked back open the maternity clothes from the loft. Which is slightly shameful - but objectively my uterus is a few cm below umbilicus already! :eek: >>> :elefant:

So you aren't going to tell people that there are two in there! That is awesome!

As soon as you are out of the first trimester it is completely acceptable to get the maternity clothes out! my trousers started getting tight around the 15 week mark

I'll be avoiding it too - mainly through having not really told many people we're expecting but planned sections do make that easier as well!

Love the idea of springing twins on everyone rather than letting them know in advance!!

Not packed yet (was waiting for my section date), baby clothes all still wrapped and tagged, pram/cot still in its box... I just can't shake the paranoia that I'm not going to get to bring my baby home from the hospital so have kept everything packaged in case I need to return it 😳. Also keen not to organise everything now with the potential house move between now and baby's arrival!

Massages are so good! Had a massage and facial last weekend as well as having my nails done, felt so much better afterwards! Lovely way of passing the time :smile:

Go for it! I'm still having people look at me and not have a clue that I'm actually pregnant... At >33wks, I thought it would be obvious by now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello !

Well, where to start?

I'm an adventurous chemistry student/ single mother/ working girl/ tired woman LOL , My child is five, I'm 27. I've been living in France for the past 10 years, but I'm actually from Lisbon ,Portugal.
I saw a link to TSR ( need to improve my grades) and I thought let's try that and meet new people an chat with mum's!

Wish you all a great day :smile:
Original post by Catarina27
Hello !

Well, where to start?

I'm an adventurous chemistry student/ single mother/ working girl/ tired woman LOL , My child is five, I'm 27. I've been living in France for the past 10 years, but I'm actually from Lisbon ,Portugal.
I saw a link to TSR ( need to improve my grades) and I thought let's try that and meet new people an chat with mum's!

Hi Catarina,

Welcome to the group :smile: I'm 25, mum to Max who is 5 months old and I live in England.
Hi Sazzy,

So I don't get this concept of TSR. So it is open to everyone even those who aren't students?
Hello !

Well, where to start?

Hello

I'm 29 and I have a little boy Isaac who is 17 months now. He is causing me all sorts of fun!

In answer to your previous question TSR is open to any but most people who use it are in education. However there are some of us like Sazzy and I who started using TSR when a student and then just sort of stuck around!
Ok then!!
You see there are not much of young women here with children so I feel very isolated. It's actually very weird, they even have this special forums for students with children here, so I wanted to know how it is in your country. Because here having a baby during your studies is a taboo...

So can you stil get some sleep, or do you do the sleep and walking thing?
3rd attendance today with reduced movements... Took a while before they were happy with the CTG (about 90mins monitoring in total) Repeat growth scan showed static abdominal growth which they're a bit concerned about so have been admitted for closer monitoring and steroids in case of early delivery... Fingers crossed we can keep him in a little longer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hygeia
3rd attendance today with reduced movements... Took a while before they were happy with the CTG (about 90mins monitoring in total) Repeat growth scan showed static abdominal growth which they're a bit concerned about so have been admitted for closer monitoring and steroids in case of early delivery... Fingers crossed we can keep him in a little longer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wishing you all the best and thinking of you and your little one! Hope the steroids weren't too painful!
Can anyone help me, I am 21 weeks pregnant and at uni. Some of my labs involve ionising radiation (Sr-90), which i know i'm not supposed to be near so have had them rearranged. However, the rest of the labs will be in the same room as it, so can i still be in the room even though it's a shielded source?

Thanx:smile:
Can anyone help me, I am 21 weeks pregnant and at uni. Some of my labs involve ionising radiation (Sr-90), which i know i'm not supposed to be near so have had them rearranged. However, the rest of the labs will be in the same room as it, so can i still be in the room even though it's a shielded source?

Thanx:smile:

You need to speak to your tutor and/or whoever is running the lab, so they can arrange a proper risk assessment. It's probably not the first time they've had to deal with something like this so hopefully they should be able to answer your questions easily!
Ok then!!
You see there are not much of young women here with children so I feel very isolated. It's actually very weird, they even have this special forums for students with children here, so I wanted to know how it is in your country. Because here having a baby during your studies is a taboo...

So can you stil get some sleep, or do you do the sleep and walking thing?

I think there's a lot more pregnant or young mums on here than those who come forward on threads like this, probably for that exact reason. TSR is an inclusive place generally though, but I think lots of young mums feel ashamed to admit on an education forum in case they get bullied for becoming a parent young. That said, if anyone were to say anything to me, I'd remind them that I have a 2.1 law degree and a distinction in the Legal Practice Course so being a mum young doesn't mean you are not an intellectual or do not have skills/knowledge/aspirations.

For me, being a mum is just one very significant part of my life, and my career will be another significant part of my life when I am ready to progress it further.

But sadly, there is a bit of a taboo with young women who are in education to have babies. I think I was secretly judged by some of my peers at university as I was walking into law exams heavily pregnant and I did get some looks. But I'm the one laughing as my pregnancy had no negative impact on my results at all, I got distinctions!! Woop. :biggrin:
Original post by Hygeia

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thinking of you. Hope all is ok
You need to speak to your tutor and/or whoever is running the lab, so they can arrange a proper risk assessment. It's probably not the first time they've had to deal with something like this so hopefully they should be able to answer your questions easily!

No one knows i'm pregnant and i want to keep it that way for the time being.

You're going to have to tell them at some point. And in doing so will enable you to get appropriate help and support. You're probably not at risk in the situation you describe, but do you really want to put your child's health at risk because you don't want to ask for advice from people who are actually qualified to give it?
Original post by Hygeia

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh gosh just saw this, I hope all is OK. Will be thinking of you :smile:

If your education, and even more importantly, the health of your child is potentially at risk it'd be far better to have a discreet word so that they can do a risk assessment to keep you safe than to keep it quiet. They won't tell anyone else if you tell them not to.

Quick Reply

Latest