The Student Room Group

Syrian army lifts ISIS siege of airbase

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34781225

The Syrian army has lifted the siege of Kuwairis airbase in Aleppo province.

The base and the Syrian troops inside have been surrounded since around the end of 2012. It was first surrounded by the main rebels, and later by ISIS who established themselves in the whole area around the base. ISIS have attacked it numerous times but have never managed to capture it.

Planes haven't been able to use it for a long time, because of it being surrounded. So it was an isolated fortified government position, rather than a functional airbase.

The Syrian government launched the offensive towards the base not long before the Russian intervention started.
Next on the list: Deir ez-Zor. I give the conflict around 1.5 - 2 years before it will conclude
Reply 2
Original post by AlwaysWatching
Next on the list: Deir ez-Zor. I give the conflict around 1.5 - 2 years before it will conclude

You think Assad will be able to take the whole country back?
Original post by Aj12
You think Assad will be able to take the whole country back?

No, I think Syria will likely break up. The Kurds won't go under Assad's rule for a start, and unless Assad starts handing out sweets and candy, there will be an insurgency, focusing particularly in the north west of Syria. So either Assad will rule Syria with an iron fist that will put Hitler to shame, or the country will break up in 2 or 3 different states and some form of ceasefire - and I don't think they will be recognised states by the UN, but Assad won't have any control over them and they'll have their own bureaucracy - see eastern Ukraine and novorossiya. ISIS will be gone, but the "rebels" won't. I could of course be wrong - it's mere speculation.

There will also be a huge spring offensive (hardly surprising) in Iraq next year, I expect huge numbers of civilians to flee when Iraqi forces mount an offensive to retake the city of Mosul from Islamic State militants. This will cause a second migrant crisis wave, just like the one we saw in the summer - it'll get warmer and calmer seas, so more will attempt the crossing and long walk. Currently the counter-offensive has been repeatedly postponed because Iraqi forces are unprepared and bogged down in battle elsewhere: usually clearing up after the Shia militias who think they are Rambo, but have no concept of the idea of dominating the ground.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
No, I think Syria will likely break up. The Kurds won't go under Assad's rule for a start, and unless Assad starts handing out sweets and candy, there will be an insurgency, focusing particularly in the north west of Syria. So either Assad will rule Syria with an iron fist that will put Hitler to shame, or the country will break up in 2 or 3 different states and some form of ceasefire - and I don't think they will be recognised states by the UN, but Assad won't have any control over them and they'll have their own bureaucracy - see eastern Ukraine and novorossiya. ISIS will be gone, but the "rebels" won't. I could of course be wrong - it's mere speculation.

There will also be a huge spring offensive (hardly surprising) in Iraq next year, I expect huge numbers of civilians to flee when Iraqi forces mount an offensive to retake the city of Mosul from Islamic State militants. This will cause a second migrant crisis wave, just like the one we saw in the summer - it'll get warmer and calmer seas, so more will attempt the crossing and long walk. Currently the counter-offensive has been repeatedly postponed because Iraqi forces are unprepared and bogged down in battle elsewhere: usually clearing up after the Shia militias who think they are Rambo, but have no concept of the idea of dominating the ground.

As long as Iran and Russia are backing Assad , syria will not result to divisons. Arab governments in general are ruled by dumb people , they can't seem to agree with one another , whilst the zionists are in the backround intensifying conflicts. ISIS -
Just look at the saudi monarchs lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Modesty
As long as Iran and Russia are backing Assad , syria will not result to divisons. Arab governments in general are ruled by dumb people , they can't seem to agree with one another , whilst the zionists are in the backround intensifying conflicts. ISIS -

Are you really buying into the Israel backs Isis bull****? The Arab world needs to stop blaming jews for its problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Are you really buying into the Israel backs Isis bull****? The Arab world needs to stop blaming jews for its problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is very much in Israel's and the United States interests to get rid of Assad.
Reply 7
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
It is very much in Israel's and the United States interests to get rid of Assad.

Perhaps. Although Israel seems to prefer strong dictators to the unpredictability of revolution. They certainly don't back ISIS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Modesty

Yeah I was going to say, I don't think Israel is supplying weapons to those that hate them, or intensifying the situation in the background? Why would they want to incense people who already hate them enough? The only result that would end with is Israel being on the top of the dirty bomb list, which they already are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a difference between Jews and zionists:colonhash:.
Zionists have their own agenda , this is why they control the american government. Ever heard of the "Anti Christ" does that ring any bells in your thick head?
As i said before, Arab world needs to wake up , and they will do , but don't expect it to happen soon.
Reply 10
Yeah I was going to say, I don't think Israel is supplying weapons to those that hate them, or intensifying the situation in the background? Why would they want to incense people who already hate them enough? The only result that would end with is Israel being on the top of the dirty bomb list, which they already are.

Isis haven't threatened or attacked Israel , i wonder why ?
Zionists are taking advantage of the fact that Arab governments are divided , Sunni/Shia , middle eastern coutries such as Qatar , Saudi Arabia , UAE, are the worst these countries didn't allow a single refugee from syria to seek refuge in their lands, but still arm supply weapons/ammunition to Rebels(Isis).

Zionists have one of the brightest minds leading them , they carry out actions without no one knowing the purpose of it. All i know is that they don't want muslim nations to be peaceful.
Original post by Modesty

Because they don't want Israel to retaliate against them and destroy them. Israel has one of the strongest militaries in the Middle East and doesn't shy away from military action, even if it's just the occasional air strike of special forces raid. They would retaliate if ISIS attacks them.

Also, ISIS doesn't have any meaningful presence anywhere near the Israeli border, so even attempting a military assault across the Syrian border is simply not possible. The only way they could attack Israel would be through terrorist attacks, which are more difficult, especially with Israel's level of security.
Original post by Modesty
Zionists are taking advantage of the fact that Arab governments are divided , Sunni/Shia , middle eastern coutries such as Qatar , Saudi Arabia , UAE, are the worst these countries didn't allow a single refugee from syria to seek refuge in their lands, but still arm supply weapons/ammunition to Rebels(Isis).

Zionists have one of the brightest minds leading them , they carry out actions without no one knowing the purpose of it. All i know is that they don't want muslim nations to be peaceful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending