The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

16 and considering open uni course now instead of A-levels

I am 16 and am currently at sixth form however i am not enjoying it and believe that changing college would not be the solution. Therefore i researched what my other options are and the open uni is one. I was wondering if there is anyone out their who didnt take there A-levels and is currently studying with the open uni. Additionally i was wondering if anyone is studying with the open uni at my age as i know this is not the most common choice for a 16 year old and how they are finding it.
thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
http://www.open.ac.uk/students/charter/sites/www.open.ac.uk.students.charter/files/files/ecms/web-content/admission-under-18.pdf

also, have you got access to £2700pa for half time study?

edit - ps - "there" A-levels?
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I have no a levels and currently studying health science full time . saas pay for my study. whatever you do stick in mate don't listen to the jackass above me
I think it is a bad idea, for a few reasons:

Lots of jobs require A levels even if you have a degree.

At 16 you can't be sure what you want to study, A levels are a good way to test your interests before committing to university.

I don't think the average 16 year old could study independently at home. But if you think you can, why not study your A levels from home instead? Much cheaper and leaves you with more options.

Original post by Chrismclauch
I have no a levels and currently studying health science full time . saas pay for my study. whatever you do stick in mate don't listen to the jackass above me

The OP didn't say they lived in Scotland, so SAAS paying your fees is irrelevant. You can of course study with the OU without A levels, but the question is whether the OP should study with the OU instead of doing their A levels.
Reply 4
Original post by rachaeldodd
I am 16 and am currently at sixth form however i am not enjoying it and believe that changing college would not be the solution. Therefore i researched what my other options are and the open uni is one. I was wondering if there is anyone out their who didnt take there A-levels and is currently studying with the open uni. Additionally i was wondering if anyone is studying with the open uni at my age as i know this is not the most common choice for a 16 year old and how they are finding it.
thanks

Its expensive and you're better of doing A levels now whilst you have the chance (as your school pays for you).

First ask yourself why you are not enjoying A-levels. Studying for a degree is much harder than A-levels and require lots of commitment.
I'll second the above really, university is quite focused and intense and you really need to know what you want to be doing (and have a good broad education behind you) to help make the most of it.

The most constructive approach I think would be to tackle why you're not enjoying college, and then focus on uni at a later date. The last thing you want to do is spend your time at uni catching up to A-level standard, when you have the opportunity to get there for free.

That said, I don't see why it would be impossible to go to open Uni - I expect any problems you'd face would be with regards to funding it.
Personally OP I would persevere with A levels, whether that is home learning, college etc, before considering university.

That way you'll develop study skills, develop your interests (find out what you really like and what you don't) before committing to a degree. If you have A levels behind you then you will have the choice of brick universities as well as OU so leaves more doors open further down the line. (Brick unis can accept OU credits, if you decided to go to a brick uni later, in lieu of A levels but admission is more awkward and it's down to the uni whether they will accept L1/L2 OU instead and depend on courses taken).
Not to mention A levels are good for your CV as employers regularly look at them.

Why aren't you enjoying college? Is it the subjects taken? Study style?
Reply 7
I'm 22 and doing a certificate in natural sciences with the Open Uni to get into a brick uni next year, and most of the uni's i e-mailed about applying next did mention they only accept OU credits from mature students. Mature is 21! So probably not the best idea for you tbh
Original post by Alking
I'm 22 and doing a certificate in natural sciences with the Open Uni to get into a brick uni next year, and most of the uni's i e-mailed about applying next did mention they only accept OU credits from mature students. Mature is 21! So probably not the best idea for you tbh

Agree because as a teen you have the opportunity to do A levels if not doing apprenticeship etc and they will wonder why you didn't.

Quick Reply

Latest