The Student Room Group

Is Parliament still supreme?

So i need to write an essay about parliament remaining supreme over EU Law or if it's supremacy is slowly eroding and i'm stuck here not knowing what position to take.
So i thought maybe that some of you could give me your opinion about this topic and maybe help me decide which side i want to take?

Thank youu :smile:
Reply 1
Hahaha are you at Liverpool uni?
Well its 'your' essay. You need to discover what 'you' think...
Reply 3
Original post by stefaniemich96
So i need to write an essay about parliament remaining supreme over EU Law or if it's supremacy is slowly eroding and i'm stuck here not knowing what position to take.
So i thought maybe that some of you could give me your opinion about this topic and maybe help me decide which side i want to take?

Thank youu :smile:

Sorry only just saw this! I have studied Law, and I personally would argue that Parliamentary supremacy has gradually eroded since joining the EU, explaining that EU Law takes precedent over UK law, and what this means, and what the implications are if the UK does not comply with EU law, thereby building an argument on European Courts being supreme.

But you could explain and use examples of times when the UK has refused to acknowledge EU Law? I believe one such case at the time, was not giving ex offenders that had committed serious crimes the right to vote.

I think you could then explain, that since the Parliament has rejected or ignored EU law in the past, it still maintains a degree of power, but question if the power to not acknowledge EU Law (and in most cases receive fines) actually amounts to supremacy, because the UK Parliament still ultimately decided what Law is introduced in the UK. Just some points I can think of off the top of my head. Hope that helps, good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by david_94
Sorry only just saw this! I have studied Law, and I personally would argue that Parliamentary supremacy has gradually eroded since joining the EU, explaining that EU Law takes precedent over UK law, and what this means, and what the implications are if the UK does not comply with EU law, thereby building an argument on European Courts being supreme.

But you could explain and use examples of times when the UK has refused to acknowledge EU Law? I believe one such case at the time, was not giving ex offenders that had committed serious crimes the right to vote.

I think you could then explain, that since the Parliament has rejected or ignored EU law in the past, it still maintains a degree of power, but question if the power to not acknowledge EU Law (and in most cases receive fines) actually amounts to supremacy, because the UK Parliament still ultimately decided what Law is introduced in the UK. Just some points I can think of off the top of my head. Hope that helps, good luck!

In that case, if a case (current or even prior) is contradicting with that of the EU Law cases, which one will take precedence if such circumstances occur?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending