The Student Room Group

Most difficult A-Level subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ubisoft
Well, that's *******s. I did M1 and M2 at AS and got 100 and 98 ums respectively.

that's good. i take it you're gonna do mathematics at university then?
yeh, at warwick hopefully.

you? what were your AS like?
Original post by Ahmed766
Music is harder than Economics? Bruh u trippin

Music is much harder than economics
Original post by morgan8002
5 and a half, plus STEP.

Good set of results! Hats off to you! 😆 Doing 5 A2's in a year is a real challenge, and STEP to top it up, and not mentioning UCAS, personal statement and interviews.
Original post by ubisoft
yeh, at warwick hopefully.

you? what were your AS like?

my AS levels were pretty ****; i got ABC. i ended up getting A*BB at A2 in 2015 and i'm currently predicted to get an A in Maths so hopefully in 2016 my A-Levels will be A*ABB. i'm hoping to do computer science at edinburgh or york
nice man, decent set of results. good luck
Original post by ubisoft
I remember you helping me in the FP4 thread last year :lol: Impressive results, man

Thanks.

Original post by ubisoft
Nah lol, just up till M3. Going over M4/5 by myself just to prepare myself for STEP

You?

I did the same(I didn't get properly exam ready in M4-5). It gives you a bit more choice of questions. Although all the maths modules I studied in my second year except S2, M2, FP2 were by myself.

Original post by 123456789012
Good set of results! Hats off to you! 😆 Doing 5 A2's in a year is a real challenge, and STEP to top it up, and not mentioning UCAS, personal statement and interviews.

I did A2 maths in year 12, so only 4A2s in year 13. I only had one interview.
I read your post on Cambridge or Oxford a few days back. Your stats are really impressive I must say! 👍

Aw thank you so much!!
Makes me feel better haha, I feel my SUMS is quite low compared to other applicants :|
Original post by Mary1860
I do music A2 and want to study it at uni and the coursework at A-level is really difficult. There's essay writing, performing, composing, analysing- the list goes on! Everything is so different and difficult in its own way. Definitely not a cop out!

Economics is also difficult and its not what I thought it would be. There are the same amount of essays compared music (but not compared to history or english for example). I prefer music because theres more of a range of areas to study which makes it harder, though with economics theres the combination of maths and essay skills which is also difficult.

What instrument do you play then? Is it true you have to have a grade 8 in at least one instrument or in singing in order to do Music at Uni?
Original post by MathsAstronomy12

Why is music hard? Is it same as music grades?
Original post by RonnieRJ
Aw thank you so much!!
Makes me feel better haha, I feel my SUMS is quite low compared to other applicants :|

But you average >90% in your three best AS Levels, plus you have great GCSEs, so you shouldn't really have any problems with your academics. Cambridge interview most of their applicants anyway, and if you do well in the interview then you'll be guaranteed an offer.
Original post by passivepineapple
Why is music hard? Is it same as music grades?

Okay. So there is the essay part where you have to memorise so many facts about different 'setworks' as in peices of music e.g. key, instruments, harmony etc, know how to analyse and add to the scores of them and write essays about them (the memory part). Then there is the theoretical side which is more mathematical where you have to understand and know how to read/apply/write your own musical score of a piece you compose as well as analysing different aspects of the harmony/tonality/structure of several genres e.g classical, romantic, blues, reggae. Finally there is the practical side which is pretty self-explanatory but pretty damn hard to score good marks in due to the strictness of which they mark your playing. Overall music is a subject that incorperates so many different subject areas; the english aspect with the essays, the mathematical aspect of the theory and the practical side (which is what most people believe the subject only consists of). It is without question one of the hardest A Levels you can do.
Okay. So there is the essay part where you have to memorise so many facts about different 'setworks' as in peices of music e.g. key, instruments, harmony etc, know how to analyse and add to the scores of them and write essays about them (the memory part). Then there is the theoretical side which is more mathematical where you have to understand and know how to read/apply/write your own musical score of a piece you compose as well as analysing different aspects of the harmony/tonality/structure of several genres e.g classical, romantic, blues, reggae. Finally there is the practical side which is pretty self-explanatory but pretty damn hard to score good marks in due to the strictness of which they mark your playing. Overall music is a subject that incorperates so many different subject areas; the english aspect with the essays, the mathematical aspect of the theory and the practical side (which is what most people believe the subject only consists of). It is without question one of the hardest A Levels you can do.

But if you take music grades in an instrument and theory at grade 8, does the A level course really teach you anything extra, or if you are at that level would it be really easy?
What grades are you?

Can you integrate this tho

(14x)1x1dx \displaystyle \int (1-4x)\sqrt{\frac{1}{x} - 1} dx

maybe
Original post by passivepineapple
But if you take music grades in an instrument and theory at grade 8, does the A level course really teach you anything extra, or if you are at that level would it be really easy?
What grades are you?

In short, yes it will. Grade 8 theory will help you a lot but it is pretty, damn hard. The theory side will become a lot more simple but you will still have to memorise and understand all the setwork facts. It's like saying maths becomes much easier if you do further maths as well. I'm doing my grade 8 piano and saxophone. I did music at AS then dropped it because I found it too difficult :u:
Original post by ubisoft

Currently no! But will work on it.
Chemistry I'd say
I think with further maths even thought it's difficult if you're naturally good at maths to take it, it won't be so hard
Original post by ubisoft

You may, but can you recall a sound one hour after you've heard it? (You don't need to create a tone in your head).

Posted from TSR Mobile
What instrument do you play then? Is it true you have to have a grade 8 in at least one instrument or in singing in order to do Music at Uni?

I sing classically and play piano. I have grade 8 in both and in most uni requirements it suggests you have grade 8, ABRSM, in your instrument (therefore have at least grade 5 ABRSM music theory). But grade 8 its not essential- depends on the course and whether its very performance based (which mine are) or composition/analysis based where the uni will look at your experience in other areas, not just your music grades and performance experience. Around grade 8 is the performance standard of A2 music anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest