The Student Room Group

URGENT! :s Can anyone tell me about IB Film Studies/Econ/Maths?

Hello! Sorry for the long-ish post, but I really need some urgent help. So I have to choose my IB subjects in a few weeks, and I am majorly STRESSING OUT because I have absolutely NO IDEA what I want to do for university or a future career. I know that I'd love to do something in the creative arts industry, but it's risky since I'm not exceptionally good at anything in that field. [I do know what I definitely DON'T want to do though -- law, med (as in being a doctor, I miiight consider pharmacy), nothing related to sports/language/history/geography/computers, etc.]

I do have a love/hobby for photography and making occasional video montages, however, and am currently debating whether I should take SL Film Studies, Music or Bio for my last SL subject slot.

Here's my progress into narrowing down the subjects I'll be taking:
HL
- Maths/English Lit (undecided)
- Chem
- Econ (I have no knowledge prior to starting this course next year, but apparently SL Econ is pretty much ab initio and the jump from SL to HL isn't that big? I've also read that HL Econ is a fairly less rigourous course and is easier to get a good score in compared to other HLs -- is that true?)

SL
-Chinese A
- Maths/English Lit (undecided :/)
- Film/Music/Bio

I know 2 instruments - diploma level, participate in orchestras, know a bit of theory etc.). I know if I take it, I can probably guarantee at the very least a 5 or even a 6, but I know for sure that I don't want a future career in music (which sucks because I do a lot of activities related to it xD) so if I DO take it, it will just be to help boost my score. (I'm also doing it for IGCSE)

My interest for bio isn't particularly high, but it goes well with my HL Chem, and opens up more career options. I have a horrible memory though, which makes me wonder if I should take it, because I know that you have to remember tons and TONS of things (pretty much just hardcore raw memorisation) and combined with my low level of interest for the subject, I don't know if I can achieve a good score.

I am extremely paranoid about my IB options because I messed up bigtime for my IGCSE options which I makes me feel like slapping myself 127 times everytime I think about my bad subject choices, so I really want to make sure I make the right decision for IB! :P

As you can see, I still have a lot of decisions to make, so I was wondering if any of you who have experience in any of the courses mentioned above or are currently taking them, could you please give me some details on what the subject is about, level of difficulty (how difficult it is to get a good score like 6/7) and what pathways taking that certain subject can lead to?

[To clarify, this applies to everyone that has any experience in any of the IB subjects I've mentioned above!]

So sorry for the long post!
Any help would be appreciated!

:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Econ SL and HL are basically the same in my opinion, HL just do more stuff and calculation. I used to do Econ HL for 3 months but changed to Biz because I cannot consistently get a 6 or 7, and I don't like my econ teacher's way of teaching. There is a big difference between Math HL and SL. I did SL and I can say it may make you dumber because the homework is so easy that you don't want to pay attention and do it right.
In terms of music/film option, I did not do Group 6 project, but I suggest do what you are best at. Unless you apply for major relating films, I doubt universities will care your SLs.
Chem HL is tough.
Did you choose English A Lit as well? Are you a bilingual diploma?
Reply 2
Original post by prndl2
Econ SL and HL are basically the same in my opinion, HL just do more stuff and calculation. I used to do Econ HL for 3 months but changed to Biz because I cannot consistently get a 6 or 7, and I don't like my econ teacher's way of teaching. There is a big difference between Math HL and SL. I did SL and I can say it may make you dumber because the homework is so easy that you don't want to pay attention and do it right.
In terms of music/film option, I did not do Group 6 project, but I suggest do what you are best at. Unless you apply for major relating films, I doubt universities will care your SLs.
Chem HL is tough.
Did you choose English A Lit as well? Are you a bilingual diploma?

If I do SL Chinese A, then yes, I am doing the bilingual diploma. Do you know anyone that did film??
Reply 3
I never heard anyone do film in Shanghai or even in China, at least for Chinese because there is no qualified teacher or equipment to support it....Even so, it may be best for you to read the film guide to have a holistic idea about it
Reply 4
Original post by prndl2
I never heard anyone do film in Shanghai or even in China, at least for Chinese because there is no qualified teacher or equipment to support it....Even so, it may be best for you to read the film guide to have a holistic idea about it

oh. I live in Hong Kong and my school (international) supports it! We have quite a number of students doing the IB Film Courses, but I don't know any of them very well :/ I have tried to search up other peoples' opinions and ideas about doing IB Film, but haven't found anything relatively useful.. Any suggestions?
Original post by chenji
oh. I live in Hong Kong and my school (international) supports it! We have quite a number of students doing the IB Film Courses, but I don't know any of them very well :/ I have tried to search up other peoples' opinions and ideas about doing IB Film, but haven't found anything relatively useful.. Any suggestions?

Aaaaaaas a fellow international school kid/Hong Konger, I have a couple of friends that are doing IB film right now. They're enjoying it (especially as it involves them watching films very, very often), but you shouldn't ever underestimate the amount of coursework in arts subjects. It sucks up a lot of your free time, and so committing to your other subjects (+CAS) becomes a bit of a juggling game. Since you have pre-existing experience withing music, that's quite a good option for you too, especially since there's an option of purely doing performing or composition at SL; just be sure you actually like it. Perhaps a taster lesson might help?

I took SL Bio as my group 4 subject; it's basically just the HL course without all of the optional add-ins that leave much of the HL teaching rushed. It's a huge step up from iGCSE DA, and the school I go to involves us getting stuck into mock IAs often (gah, beetroots). Honestly, it isn't as fun as I anticipated it to be, but that may just be because I'm tired of going through phospholipid bilayers and fluid mosaic models and cell theory and ... (you get the gist :P )

IMO, HL Lit still better than HL Maths, particularly after seeing a lot of good mathematicians at iGCSE level (who were all in higher sets, with A*s everywhere) drop down from SL to Studies. A lot of people underestimate the SL course - which is basically further pure on steroids - and do it in favour of Studies, more often than none because "Studies is for dumb people who can't tell right from left". Not that I'm discouraging you from taking SL Maths at all; if you think you're capable of doing well in it, then go ahead; it compliments your other options well, and you really don't need HL Maths for Chem and Econ - SL will suffice :smile:

Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by LeFeuilly
Aaaaaaas a fellow international school kid/Hong Konger, I have a couple of friends that are doing IB film right now. They're enjoying it (especially as it involves them watching films very, very often), but you shouldn't ever underestimate the amount of coursework in arts subjects. It sucks up a lot of your free time, and so committing to your other subjects (+CAS) becomes a bit of a juggling game. Since you have pre-existing experience withing music, that's quite a good option for you too, especially since there's an option of purely doing performing or composition at SL; just be sure you actually like it. Perhaps a taster lesson might help?

I took SL Bio as my group 4 subject; it's basically just the HL course without all of the optional add-ins that leave much of the HL teaching rushed. It's a huge step up from iGCSE DA, and the school I go to involves us getting stuck into mock IAs often (gah, beetroots). Honestly, it isn't as fun as I anticipated it to be, but that may just be because I'm tired of going through phospholipid bilayers and fluid mosaic models and cell theory and ... (you get the gist :P )

IMO, HL Lit still better than HL Maths, particularly after seeing a lot of good mathematicians at iGCSE level (who were all in higher sets, with A*s everywhere) drop down from SL to Studies. A lot of people underestimate the SL course - which is basically further pure on steroids - and do it in favour of Studies, more often than none because "Studies is for dumb people who can't tell right from left". Not that I'm discouraging you from taking SL Maths at all; if you think you're capable of doing well in it, then go ahead; it compliments your other options well, and you really don't need HL Maths for Chem and Econ - SL will suffice :smile:

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your helpful advice, LeFeuilly! :biggrin:

I still don't know about music though, because I really love the idea of doing film, but once again I no idea if I'm capable of getting a good score. I could do music, but it just doesn't interest me that much, and I'm not a huge fan of performing and my composition skills are probably not decent enough to get me a 7 or anything xD I don't know think we get taster lessons either (am I correct in assuming the taster lessons are basically lessons in which you pretend you're actually taking the subject? because right now, all my school is offering is talks for each IB group :/)

I think I'm definitely set on not taking bio now xD And after your brief summary, I can say that my interest for bio has dropped even more (though I had not thought it possible :P)

HL Lit....... >__< I just don't know..I really prefer the systematic working of Maths where there is a clear and set answer compared to English where you have to extract and analyse texts and oh dear I am horrible at oral presentations you have no idea. My english teacher for IGCSE right now is an HL LIt teacher, so if I take HL Lit, I could get matched up with him, and he's a fairly good teacher I suppose, but I'm just scared of the workload, and the fact that I feel like teachers will expect my work to be of really high quality and everything. But now that you describe SL maths like further pure on steroids I am beginning to doubt my decision of HL Maths ;n;

There's even this one kid at my school, and he's taking 7 HLs and 3 SLs...and my brain hurts just thinking about it... (he's taking 3 SLs outside of school apparently and he's doing all 3 sciences at HL and both maths and further pure maths AND computer science?? please tell me how that's possible)

oooh and also which school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking? :smile: (and what year of IB are you in?)
Original post by chenji
Thanks so much for your helpful advice, LeFeuilly! :biggrin:

I still don't know about music though, because I really love the idea of doing film, but once again I no idea if I'm capable of getting a good score. I could do music, but it just doesn't interest me that much, and I'm not a huge fan of performing and my composition skills are probably not decent enough to get me a 7 or anything xD I don't know think we get taster lessons either (am I correct in assuming the taster lessons are basically lessons in which you pretend you're actually taking the subject? because right now, all my school is offering is talks for each IB group :/)

I think I'm definitely set on not taking bio now xD And after your brief summary, I can say that my interest for bio has dropped even more (though I had not thought it possible :P)

HL Lit....... >__< I just don't know..I really prefer the systematic working of Maths where there is a clear and set answer compared to English where you have to extract and analyse texts and oh dear I am horrible at oral presentations you have no idea. My english teacher for IGCSE right now is an HL LIt teacher, so if I take HL Lit, I could get matched up with him, and he's a fairly good teacher I suppose, but I'm just scared of the workload, and the fact that I feel like teachers will expect my work to be of really high quality and everything. But now that you describe SL maths like further pure on steroids I am beginning to doubt my decision of HL Maths ;n;

There's even this one kid at my school, and he's taking 7 HLs and 3 SLs...and my brain hurts just thinking about it... (he's taking 3 SLs outside of school apparently and he's doing all 3 sciences at HL and both maths and further pure maths AND computer science?? please tell me how that's possible)

oooh and also which school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking? :smile: (and what year of IB are you in?)

Glad I helped :biggrin: And I'm in Year 12 at KGV.
Reply 8
Glad I helped :biggrin: And I'm in Year 12 at KGV.

gasp. i go to kgv as well?? :O
Original post by chenji
gasp. i go to kgv as well?? :O

AHAHAHAHAHAHA which house?

(I'm in Nightingale)
Reply 10
AHAHAHAHAHAHA which house?

(I'm in Nightingale)

upsdell :P
WHO ARE YOU xD this is painfully interesting
Reply 11
A lot of people underestimate the SL course - which is basically further pure on steroids

What on earth...?

This is so wrong.
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
What on earth...?

This is so wrong.

I guess everyone has different views :P I mean, I definitely don't think HL Maths is easy xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending