The Student Room Group

Someone moves your study materials from the library's study table - annoyed?

So I was in the library and sitting quietly in one of those study tables; I had the usual study materials (notes, pens, highlighter and a text book) on the table; decided to go to the loo and afterwards, went to the next floor to find some books for references. Went back to the study table and saw a girl was sitting there and all of my study materials have been moved to the next table :confused:

I took my study materials from the next table and said to the girl, "I was sitting here" whilst taking my study materials from the table. The girl casually said, "oh, you did?", pretended as if nothing happened and continued doing he work or some sort.

I'd be OK for her to just sit there if she just apologies (even if it's half baked) or at least made it seemed that she did something wrong, but ... I didn't get anything from her. It is as if nothing happened.

I just took my materials and sat on some other study table. After a few minutes of settling down on the current table (which is not far from the prior table), she said from the table "you can sit here if you want". Feeling rather annoyed, I just said, "No, you can just sit there if you want".

I'd believe I was right to feel annoyed or is there some common courtesy that I missed out? :confused:
Original post by kka25
So I was in the library and sitting quietly in one of those study tables; I had the usual study materials (notes, pens, highlighter and a text book) on the table; decided to go to the loo and afterwards, went to the next floor to find some books for references. Went back to the study table and saw a girl was sitting there and all of my study materials have been moved to the next table :confused:

I took my study materials from the next table and said to the girl, "I was sitting here" whilst taking my study materials from the table. The girl casually said, "oh, you did?", pretended as if nothing happened and continued doing he work or some sort.

I'd be OK for her to just sit there if she just apologies (even if it's half baked) or at least made it seemed that she did something wrong, but ... I didn't get anything from her. It is as if nothing happened.

I just took my materials and sat on some other study table. After a few minutes of settling down on the current table (which is not far from the prior table), she said from the table "you can sit here if you want". Feeling rather annoyed, I just said, "No, you can just sit there if you want".

I'd believe I was right to feel annoyed or is there some common courtesy that I missed out? :confused:

It was a bit rude of her to move your materials to make way for herself if it was clear someone else was sitting there like for instance a bag or a plugged in laptop

That being said, people leave books out all the time in the library and never bother to put them back in the correct place so maybe she thought that was what happened?

It's never a good idea to leave stuff unattended in university libraries people will steal anything and everything
Original post by kka25

I'd be quite annoyed as well if that happened but that's just how people are. The way people feel entitled to just pick up your stuff and throw it to the side, and how casual they are about it, astounds me. This is especially annoying if it's a packed library and they've essentially helped themselves to your unattended spot, leaving you little choice but to leave and try to find somewhere else to work. Whatever happened to the stereotypical British obsession with queueing? :/
Original post by Hydeman
I'd be quite annoyed as well if that happened but that's just how people are. The way people feel entitled to just pick up your stuff and throw it to the side, and how casual they are about it, astounds me. This is especially annoying if it's a packed library and they've essentially helped themselves to your unattended spot, leaving you little choice but to leave and try to find somewhere else to work. Whatever happened to the stereotypical British obsession with queueing? :/

Well, if it is a busy library and someone take your spot, you can just politely ask them to leave. If they say you werent here, then they are a retard because a lot of people get up from their table to get a book or pick up a call outside.
Original post by kka25

Yeah, you have the right to be annoyed. But the thing is, you can't possibly control what others do. You can only control your own actions and emotions. Next time, just politely ask her to move or something. Btw, you might not want to leave your stuff without a friend watching it cuz it might get stolen.
Lol, I don't think people would leave their notes and highlighters. Also, if she was really thinking that someone put the books out all the time, she should put the books back or give it to the librarian not just moved them aside because then she is just as guilty as someone who left it there.
Original post by ForeignStudent32
Lol, I don't think people would leave their notes and highlighters. Also, if she was really thinking that someone put the books out all the time, she should put the books back or give it to the librarian not just moved them aside because then she is just as guilty as someone who left it there.

You'd be surprised. I know, but the point isn't about whether or whether or not she replaced the books back that were left out, the point was that clearly she thought OP had left his stuff and decided to risk it and sit there.
Well, if it is a busy library and someone take your spot, you can just politely ask them to leave. If they say you werent here, then they are a retard because a lot of people get up from their table to get a book or pick up a call outside.

I've only ever been to school libraries so politely asking people to do anything hardly ever works unless you don't know the person very well, in which case most people are less inclined to take the piss.
That is what I am saying that she knows that someone is sitting there, or else she would have put the book back.
Original post by Hydeman
I've only ever been to school libraries so politely asking people to do anything hardly ever works unless you don't know the person very well, in which case most people are less inclined to take the piss.

Are most British people this scary?

Not really. Most people are polite and helpful to strangers, especially to foreign students like yourself. xD It's just the culture you often get in schools where, if you know the person and they happen not to like you, they'll do things like that just to piss you off because that's how they get their kicks. I don't know if it's much better at university.

Yes, we are f***ing terrifying. Don't forget that brits are descendents of people who took over half the world at one point. Don't even get me started on the Scots with their Celt blood :wink: :tongue:

Spoiler

I'd be annoyed, she took the time to move your stuff to a different table when she could have sat there herself??? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest