The Student Room Group

What is your goal for GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarunH1

You'll be fine if you revise so don't worry, I think most would have the impression you're a hard worker so just push yourself and you'll do it, I'm sure you'll be very happy on results day :smile:

Best of luck

p.s I don't do french, and for English i pretty much bull sh*tted everything and somehow ended up with an A O_O

Thank you so much! This advice is so useful :biggrin:
I wish I had poetry in my exam but instead I have to do pride and prejudice & macbeth in the eng lit exam instead :s-smilie:
And for languages our school decided to do iGCSE so you have to make everything up on the spot (our school wanted us to 'properly learn the language instead of memorising essays' smh)
I'll follow all your advice though tysm :smile:
Original post by HarunH1
for English i pretty much bull sh*tted everything and somehow ended up with an A O_O

And I think pretty much everybody bullsh*ts English :biggrin: (at least for 'symbolism' and all that in controlled assessments :colondollar:)
I'm in year 11. Last year to get the highest grades I can. A very stressful year.:frown:

For English language-A ( at the moment I'm on a B from my year 10 exam because of my speaking and listening)didgeridoo reading paper again today as our school allows us to re-sit it and still need to do the writing paper
English lit-A
Maths-A/A*( hopefully A*)
French-A*
Spanish-A*
History-A ( but my teacher and I believe i should achieve theA*
Triple science-A*
Additional I got an A likewise for my core as well.
I'm quite happy so far but still need to work hard. Hope everyone else get the grades they want. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm probably aiming wayyy too high but I'd want to get 5-7a* 9 in maths 7/8 in the englishes and a in additional maths
Y'all over exaggerate too much, if you achieve 11 A* you either have no life or no personality... In GCSE i achived 5 B's and 5 C's english, maths and french i got B's in. Do not try and fool your self, it annoys me when people do this to try to pump them selfs up but in reality you're getting predicted 8 E's and 2 D's
Original post by Treblebee
Hey guys!
What are you aiming for in your GCSEs (i.e. which grades)? What you're predicted isn't necessarily what you'll end up with; just work towards the grades you want, and go get them! Just remember that once you've put them down here, you'll have to achieve them!:wink: (Note: this is very similar to a thread in the A-level section, but I thought it was a brilliant idea, and that you guys could do with such a spur, so I hope @High Stakes doesn't mind:redface:)
Work hard - you can do it!:smile:

to not kill myself at the end of the year.
Reply 66
Original post by Joecoloco69
Y'all over exaggerate too much, if you achieve 11 A* you either have no life or no personality... In GCSE i achived 5 B's and 5 C's english, maths and french i got B's in. Do not try and fool your self, it annoys me when people do this to try to pump them selfs up but in reality you're getting predicted 8 E's and 2 D's

I'm sorry that you seem unhappy with your results:frown: However, please don't try to dampen everyone's enthusiasm; it has been scientifically proven that high hopes and optimistic surety can get you high grades:smile:
Original post by Treblebee
I'm sorry that you seem unhappy with your results:frown: However, please don't try to dampen everyone's enthusiasm; it has been scientifically proven that high hopes and optimistic surety can get you high grades:smile:

Im not upset at all? I'm really happy, but there is a fine line where enthusiasm crosses into being unrealistic, and like i said if you're one who is "predicted" 11 A* then you either have no personality or no life. Its about having an equalibrium between the two.
Reply 68
Im not upset at all? I'm really happy, but there is a fine line where enthusiasm crosses into being unrealistic, and like i said if you're one who is "predicted" 11 A* then you either have no personality or no life. Its about having an equalibrium between the two.

Ok, fair enough:smile: I don't want to be offensive or anything; I just want to encourage people:h: Too often, people get too fixed on their target grades, and I want people to realise that what they're predicted is not necessarily what they'll achieve. :grin:
Original post by HarunH1
Maybe english lit would be good, it would go well with english language because you analyse texts in the same sort of way :smile:

I have already done English lit I got a grade B
Reply 70
I'm in Year 10 - predicted B's in science but I'm aiming for A*'s because I want to be a vet. All my other subjects I'm predicted A*- B.
I would ideally like A in science, and A* in philosophy, higher project, history, sociology and german (and 8s in English and Maths, so A* also). Perhaps a B (or A if I am very lucky) in further maths, as I think I'm not going to do that well... These are pretty much my predicted grades, so hopefully if I revise well and pay attention then I can get these :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
dff
Ordinarily I'd say I'm aiming for what I've had predicted. However, they're all A*s and 9s, so that might be a bit much.

For most subjects, I'm really aiming for an A*. But for Geography I'd still be happy with an A (not my strongest subject). For both English (literature and language), I'd be happy with a 7. It doesn't come naturally to me, and I think expecting a 9 would be way too much pressure. Of course I can hope...

Not true. My situation is rather complicated (I took some GCSEs one year early and a couple 5 years early), but if I achieved my predicted grades, I'd leave with 11 A*s, 2 grade 9s (English), an A*-grade in A-level mathematics and an A-grade in AS Further mathematics. But I do have a personality and a life (I hope...).

I'm struggling to picture a person with a life but no personality, but I see what you mean. A balance is always best. Increasingly, employers and universities are looking for people who have a life as well as good grades, and have gained something from their life. After all, we are people, not exam factories.

Quick Reply

Latest